Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Man lives without eating or drinking

Do you think this man is legit--that he lives without eating or drinking?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this man is legit--that he lives without eating or drinking?

• Yup
    • I am open to it, but would like to learn more about this man and his claims before forming an opinion
    • Modern scientific understanding has made it clear that this is not possible.
    • This is pure bullshit on a commonsense level.
    • My intelligence feels so insulted right now that I almost feel like crying.
    • Impse

Basing your opinion on links you haven't read yourself makes you look very silly.

Hellbent said:

I still think that sort of inquisitiveness and interest on behalf of the scientists would be helpful, even if they can't test any of it, they can at least then be in a position to entertain the possibility that something is working on the man outside the realm of what science can explain, instead of only being satisfied by a scientific explanation. Because if there is no conventional scientific explanation, then the scientists will be forever baffled or be forced to propose scientific explanations that are absurd.

While there's nothing wrong with being inquisitive, entertaining the notion that a man's continued existence is the result of divine intervention will at best result in bad science. Probably the only safe conclusion would be to state that the phenomena currently defies scientific explanation.

This is pure bullshit on a commonsense level.
OK, let’s jail the guy, wait and see.

Phml said:

Basing your opinion on links you haven't read yourself makes you look very silly.

What leads you to believe I haven't read the links?

The Lag said: hellbent said: you have an inadequate appreciation of the human's bodily needs.

i say: that is accurate but not really in the way that you meant. i've been a practicing buddhist for 26 years. i myself have gone without any food, liquid, or sleep for days. [/B]

Interesting, how many days?

The Lag said:

also, timeline.

?

You say you are a practicing Buddhist, which I think is really cool, but you are giving me the impression you don't believe in anything beyond science, which to me, is contradictory to the aim of Buddhism, which is, as far as I understand (I went to a 10 day Buddhist retreat in Bodh Gaya) to attain enlightenment and cease the cyclic existence of being reincarnated on Earth, a cycle of life and death known as Samsara.

What leads you to believe I haven't read the links?

Most of the arguments you're making were debunked in the Wikipedia article you linked.

Uhhhh. Well this either means that medicine is not as advanced in South Asia as I believed, or they already know that it's a bluff but decide to keep it for themselves and act as if he was really unnatural for whatever reason. I'd rather not consider different alternatives because I fear that it might hurt my below average intelligence.

My favorite "Breatharian" con artist is Wiley Brooks:

In 1983 he was reportedly observed leaving a Santa Cruz 7-Eleven with a Slurpee, hot dog and Twinkies. He told Colors magazine in 2003 that he periodically breaks his fasting with a cheeseburger and a cola, explaining that when he's surrounded by junk culture and junk food, consuming them adds balance.

On his website, Brooks states that his potential followers must first prepare by combining the junk food diet with the meditative incantation of five magic "fifth-dimensional" words which appear on his website, some of which are words from Kundalini yoga. In the "5D Q&A" section of his website Brooks claims that cows are fifth-dimensional (or higher) beings that help mankind achieve fifth-dimensional status by converting three-dimensional food to five-dimensional food (beef). In the "Question and Answer" section of his website, Brooks explains that the "Double Quarter-Pounder with Cheese" meal from McDonald's possesses a special "base frequency" and that he thus recommends it as occasional food for beginning breatharians. He then goes on to reveal that Diet Coke is "liquid light". Prospective disciples are asked after some time following the junk food/magic word preparation to revisit his website in order to test if they can feel the magic.

Heh, memory failed me. The "breatharian" actually preferred "Double Crazy with Cheese" ;-)

Exactly, the breatharian strawman has to be erected then knocked down to diminish Jani's feat.

He's undoubtedly a con artist as well. A quick look at his Wikipedia page reveals that the claims about his 2010 feat are rather questionable:

Sanal Edamaruku characterized the experiment as a farce for allowing Jani to move out of the CCTV cameras' field of view, claiming that video footage showed Jani was allowed to receive devotees and to leave the sealed test room for sunbathing. Edamaruku also said that the gargling and bathing activities were insufficiently monitored, and that he was denied access to the site where the tests were conducted in both 2003 and 2010. He accuses Jani of having "influential protectors" responsible for denying Edamaruku permission to inspect the project during its operation, despite having been invited to join the test during a live television broadcast

I don't find this any more impressive than any of David Blaine's stunts. It's basically the same kind of thing, with a mystical mumbo-jumbo twist.

You might just as well believe that the Holy Light lights itself spontaneously every (Orthodox) Easter, but ONLY for the Orthodox Patriarch, who's the only one allowed in the chamber where it allegedly happens. Faith vs Fact.

hellbent: "you are giving me the impression you don't believe in anything beyond science"

which is very far from the truth.
and then something about being so open minded your brain falls out.

The Lag said:

i say: that is accurate but not really in the way that you meant. i've been a practicing buddhist for 26 years. i myself have gone without any food, liquid, or sleep for days.

How much weight did you lose during the process? Did you get ill because of lack of any protection (no food, no sleep = open doors to viruses)?

Belial said:

I didn't eat for a week once, lost 10 kg, felt fine otherwise.

Yeah, I had a day off of food when I drank some of the water out in Dubai and had to deal with the consequences. Ended up losing about half a stone (~3.25kg) overall in the 10 days I was out there. Certainly didn't make me feel worse, but I was keeping myself hydrated with bottled water.

I think it's safe to say that the human body can go without food and water for a length of time - food in particular can be gone without for quite a while, especially when you've got some fat reserves or muscle to burn off in its place.

fraggle said:
Brooks explains that the "Double Quarter-Pounder with Cheese" meal from McDonald's possesses a special "base frequency"

I am dying from my own laughter

Belial said:

I didn't eat for a week once, lost 10 kg, felt fine otherwise.

I can't afford to lose even one kilo, I'm already below the limit. I don't want to break into pieces.

Over the last couple months ive been living off of one or two meals a day, with some days where i dont eat at all, or I get by with a single bag of trail mix or something. My body weight has been pretty consistent over the past 4 years too. So I'm sure someone can live happily for a loooong time without eating anything. I do drink a good bit of water, teas, juices and sodas though so I don't really know what to say about that.

Trail mix is some of the highest calorie food you can eat. Gets real old real fast, tho.

The Lag: I would love to hear more about your experiences with Buddhism / asceticism or what else you want to share in the general field of spiritual experience. If I came across arrogant or disrespectful, I apologize; you clearly have more experience than I.

Captain Toenail said:

What I want to see is someone living without oxygen, beat that.

There's bound to be a guru somewhere who's teaching his followers how to photosynthesize their own oxygen. ;-)

There's bound to be a guru somewhere who's teaching his followers how to photosynthesize their own oxygen. ;-)

I guess they must look a bit green about the gills?

Wikipedia article said:

Doctors say that he passed no urine or stool during the observation

Sick of pets that crap everywhere? Introducing Crazy Indian Sadhu!