• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2012 - Released July 17, durr hurr

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST, but:

http://speedy.sh/ykqGx/mayhem-dai07.wad

v2 of Red like jungle.

-exit is fixed to be a suicide exit (as i planned in the developing of map)

-added few decorations and fixed few things in the secret rooms....

-added a new secret in the exit room

and about that texture bug that mionicdonut found, actually i've checked the map and there's no error of sort... could you put a screen shot of this section?

Hey, don't let this thread die now!

Still eagerly awaiting for the first beta. "Tomorrow" is already 4 days ago. :P

Do you ever make a post that isn't passive aggressive prodding? >:C

http://www.speedyshare.com/Z3As8/MHEMb00.wad
But, since I did say it would be out sooner rather than later...Here is some type of beta, though it probably doesn't contain all the most recent versions.

got this error bug at prboom prompt, works fine with zdoom and derivative engines... played it a little yesterday and well, is a really solid episode so far...

the scype2k maps are still the old version one....

Yep. Same was happening for me, hence the delayed beta. I had mentioned this earlier. I'm still trying to figure out where the error is, but it is so gloriously vague...

TheMionicDonut said:

I'm still trying to figure out where the error is, but it is so gloriously vague...

Try looking in the stdout.txt.
EDIT: actually you can see the errors right on the above screen.

I had the same problem, hope it gets fixed soon :) The levels seem pretty neat.
Anyway my maps were not the latest versions in this thread, no worries as I was going to do a final clean up of the maps, I will PM you both maps now.

It's clearly an error in the way the sky textures have been put together. I'd have thought just replacing the RSKY# patches would have been the solution to this in any source port (might not work in vanilla) - it appears the patches aren't even being loaded, or if they are then they're not in the right index for the TEXTURE1 lump.

Okay, Ive gotten around the error message, (In my infinite wisdom I kept SKY3 in which made the program search for SKY1 and SKY2 as well. I copypasted SKY3 into those positions and now the wad actually runs...yippee
I and will be updating as well, for the next beta. The sky is still borked in prBoom, but that is cosmetic and I'll take care of that after I get a working boom beta out to you.

After a quick play through the mapset, I am pleased! This is a solid 12-map set we got ourselves here.

However I noticed a great majority of maps lack severely in ammo, at least when attempting pistol-start. (I'm looking at you, hive map and map11).
Some fights are presented when you don't even have the berserk to rely on. I find myself dying unfairly without enough ammo to cover my kills.

I noticed some HOMs on map08, and generally found the map quite difficult. It was a neat idea but could be better executed.

And of course some maps could use a new music track like map01 but that's just me :)

My main suggestion is to add ammo in plenty of maps, because some of them don't feel like they've been designed for pistol-start gameplay.

Cheers!

http://speedy.sh/jJTdM/MHEMb02.wad

Changes:
Fixed the failure to load in prboom (skies need repair)
Updated Maps 03 10 and 11.

Stuff that will need fixing:
That freakin' sky
Map/ammo balance, Particularly map09.
Scypek, rehost the updated hells ravines if you can/if it exists.

I agree I made map09 a bit rough unless you know the traps ahead of time. I'll tone it down a bit with more health/ammo.

Well its not so much the traps as you cant get out of the first room without running out of ammo, even with some infighting...and then you get a baron plopped in front of you D:

The way I usually handle the first few rooms is to bum rush the SSG, then come back and clean em up, though it's probably unfair to expect people to approach it that way

Here's an updated version of my map:

Grudge v.1.1

I heeded recommendations and added a bit more health/ammo all around. So now you can take it 'room by room' without running out of shells.

I also included a uv-max demo so you can see where all the secrets are and stuff :D

Newest Iron Industries version with additional fix:
https://rapidshare.com/files/103842818/iron_industries.wad

Newest Hell's ravines
https://rapidshare.com/files/404164752/hellsravines_original.wad

I see that order of maps in beta is quite random, I hope you'll change it.

And also, since you were considering Hell's ravines to be final level, I made a modified, final-looking edition.
https://rapidshare.com/files/4229382665/hellsravines_epilogue.wad
If you'll decide thet some other map should be the last one, maybe just copy the final part there. I'd be glad to see something cool at the end.

http://www.speedyshare.com/PAskn/MHEMb03.wad

Third beta.

Changes

-Updates to maps 3 8 and 9.
-Changed all skies to doom2 ep 2 sky while i figure stuff out.
-MAPINFO added
-put the correct music on maps 11 and 12. In my infinite wisdom i reversed them on last betas.

Stuff that needs to be done
-That effin' sky
-add the nojump code. A couple maps get broken if people jump in them.
-interlevel graphics...maybe

And, at Scypek. Yeah Im kind of awarethat the themes get kind of wonky but I set the map order by general difficulty. I may do expansion sets to this wad (in months that arent bogged down with finals) and rearrange the maps to a more sensible order then but this is for funsies and not with a real story. That said if the expansion packs thing does come to pass I will reconsider putting that at the end. Maybe, especially because you arent even the first person in this thread to request "last map plz."

I don't really beg to have the last map slot, I did that because people were saying that map with icon of sin should be the last one. It might be not hard enough though. But what you think about ending sequence? It'd be cool to see something special at the end.

I'm up to MAP05, doing a continuous play-through, in my testing and here's my observations:

MAP01: Something seems familiar here... In all seriousness, I think it may benefit from the chainsaw trap also springing if you get the red key beforehand, but as the map is at it's most violent without that already, I'd need to test the theory.

MAP02: I believe I've already voiced an opinion on this one - it's pretty good. Didn't find the secret or a few of the monsters, although I think I know where I missed them.

MAP03: Wildly, massively, unbelievably over-stocked, even though I missed 3 of the secrets! I like the way the red metal is used to look like the lava is heating it, but the map is so unbalanced (regardless of how much fire power I came in with from the previous two maps) that I'm finding it hard to look at anything else. The BFG is given away if the player is patient and explores everywhere.

MAP04: Trivialised by coming in practically fully-loaded from MAP03 - nice to see the change in switch location (and function) for the pillars to the exit but I still think silently warping demons that are easily viewed looks wrong and there's too many spectres behind the bars in the canal.

EDIT: Mid-way through MAP09 now on my continuous play

MAP05: Also really easy (although this map was never difficult to begin with) - on the plus side you don't really benefit much from having any of the power weapons bar the plasma rifle for the most part - SSG and chaingun will suffice

MAP06: Deja vu struck again - the tougher fights stand up fairly well to the heavy stocks from previous maps IMO. I even died at the plasma rifle part once :O

MAP07: Due to being a slaughter map (and one I was unfamiliar with) the additional stocks coming in didn't make too much of an impact on the game play - if anything making it more fun because you don't have to wait for the BFG if you've fully explored either MAP03 or MAP06. Fairly easy for a slaughter map, although that last part with the cybers and hell nobles takes a bit of wearing down and the chaingunner ambush at the end was pretty vindictive. Didn't find the two secrets or however many monsters they seem to house. The visuals I'd describe as "cavernous" for the most part, which seems like it should mean "bare" but mostly worked for me. The scrolling flesh/tech in the main red building for the ending was nice.

MAP08: Still not a big fan of the technicolour explosion this map is, but on the plus side I think it plays better coming in from the previous 7 maps as the main monster battle is now beatable but remains dangerous. It's mostly just a barely-opposed run.

MAP09: Hadn't seen this before, but it looks good! Seems a shame to have the progression linked to picking up the shotgun as I came in with a full stack of shells and only guessed it might trigger something after my progress seemed blocked. I like the interpretation of "metal hive" (particularly the visuals), although the constant instant-ambushes and trickery made progression through a small level feel like a slog. After getting owned just after the blue key door I opted to leave my saved game at the blue key and come back to it later.

Good stuff. I may give maps 03 and 04 the old switcheroo, since most people dont play maps from pistol start (and I sort of did that for testing, derp)...kids these days...

I'd swap 05 and 03 I think, as I'd say MAP05 is easier than MAP04 even from a pistol start and the next few maps remain challenging. regardless of the weapons the player has

I play by pistol-start all the time, and if some of the maps don't support it then we're in kind of a problem :P

Not sure if it's already been done but I suggest adjusting the item placement in said maps, so the wad is entirely pistol-start compatible.

Phobus said:
MAP07: Due to being a slaughter map (and one I was unfamiliar with) the additional stocks coming in didn't make too much of an impact on the game play - if anything making it more fun because you don't have to wait for the BFG if you've fully explored either MAP03 or MAP06. Fairly easy for a slaughter map, although that last part with the cybers and hell nobles takes a bit of wearing down and the chaingunner ambush at the end was pretty vindictive. Didn't find the two secrets or however many monsters they seem to house. The visuals I'd describe as "cavernous" for the most part, which seems like it should mean "bare" but mostly worked for me. The scrolling flesh/tech in the main red building for the ending was nice. [/B]

Thanks for the feedback, i'll see to make the secret much more easier to find...

Beat MAP09 now - my opinion remains the same, it looks good, but plays very underhand and takes a lot of beating.

MAP10: Played this before - not sure how much has changed since then but as I was well-stocked on arrival it was difficult to judge ammo balance. I had plenty of that anyway and the level did kill me a few times in various areas, so it's pretty tough.

MAP11: Absolutely brutal - I made it through after a lot of trial and error (and skipping the final wave of Revenants). The darkness outside makes battling all of those enemies (particularly the Arch-Viles) tough and the open arena really isn't very kind to the player (particularly with the Arch-Viles). Not much of a fan on the game play really, as the very strong opposition tends to strike the player when he's in a disadvantage.

MAP12: Fuck me is this huge! I've killed a few over 100 enemies out of the 1100 so far and got the blue skull key, but figured I'd take a break from playing for now. Early observations are that it plays well enough but the visuals are quite sloppy (unaligned textures, too much use of colour for lights and the like). The actual themes and architecture so far are nice enough however.

I made it to map10, breezed through maps01-08 without much problem. Quit on 10 after making a mistake with one of the cybers and got a rocket in the face. As for Phobus's comment on the map, I was dealing with weaker enemies with plasma, so there shouldn't be much problem with ammo and health.
I agree with map09, the phrase "It's a trap" comes to mind haha. Everything you do results it having your ass kicked from in front/behind/ above/below etc.
I liked all the levels. I was not keen on Map03, but that's more likely that it's not my cup of tea.
Maps01,02,04,05 - not much to say, they play well.
Map06 - Feels like a step up, more big monsters and more weaponry, I couldn't find any of the secrets because I am bad at finding secrets haha.
Map07 - I really liked this level. It feels different, the design is pretty simple but well executed. I didn't find the secret though.
Map08 - Interesting level, died once by being telefragged. No other dramas. I'm a little concerned about playing the level from pistol start. Unless there are some helpful secrets I missed.
Not much else to say, I should try to finish the wad. But I fear my own map (map11).
Well if people want I could make map11 easier, it's safe to say that it is the hardest level in the wad.
I played through Map12 on iddqd, it seems to play fine.

Oh wow... beat MAP12 at last. Took over an hour on UV! Very big, but also very tough near the end. Some areas look great; others not so much (particularly where multi-colour lights and crates with a different colour on each side are seen). I don't know if there's a BFG9000 in the map or not, but having the one from previous maps helped with my enjoyment of this immensely. The sheer number of enemies that need smacking down and all of the cell ammo is screaming out for it. I found 6/10 secrets and killed all but 2 of the monsters in the end. Good job on that last map - brings the total play time for MAYhem 2012, for me, up to just over 3 hour of continuous success (plus a fair chunk of dying trial-and-error time).

Okay. Upcoming changes are switching maps 03 and 05, as well as updating map07 and tweaking a few things on 04. Anybody else have any updates they would like?