Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2012 - Released July 17, durr hurr

Phobus said:

Oh wow... beat MAP12 at last. Took over an hour on UV! Very big, but also very tough near the end. Some areas look great; others not so much (particularly where multi-colour lights and crates with a different colour on each side are seen). I don't know if there's a BFG9000 in the map or not, but having the one from previous maps helped with my enjoyment of this immensely. The sheer number of enemies that need smacking down and all of the cell ammo is screaming out for it. I found 6/10 secrets and killed all but 2 of the monsters in the end. Good job on that last map - brings the total play time for MAYhem 2012, for me, up to just over 3 hour of continuous success (plus a fair chunk of dying trial-and-error time).

Glad you enjoyed the map!
Some of the layouts were kinda rushed, I admit. And no, there was no BFG. Knowing the map well can take a little less than an hour when you rely on rockets and plasma.
You should play again from pistol start and tell me how that worked out ;)

It's now July. When is it going to be released? (also I would recommend updating the first post too, since "it's now May" doesn't look well)

Duly noted and ignored.

My last question of are there any more updates went without a response so Im going with no. Meaning I need to write out the file info, and move stuff, which I dont have time for atm (A lot has happened this past month, so excuse me)

Also, I dont know how to implement no jumping without ruining the file. And the sky thing is also not cooperating.

I can do the sky and the nojumping if you like? They're both pretty trivial.

I think we should just go with a limit removing port and use mapinfo to save all the hassle.

We are already limit-removing and MAPINFO will be used to solve the jupming and crouching. The nice thing is that vanilla and ports that have no concept of MAPINFO just ignore it - as they also don't have jumping or crouching, you're all good. It'd be the work of a few minutes to get that in, as well as full map definitions in the "old" style, that should work with Eternity as well as the ZDoom family of ports. We'd need somebody who does DeHackEd to cover map names for other ports and vanilla though (if we bother to put that much effort in)

nojump
nocrouch

Are the two things to add to either a default or each map definition. I'll do it when I get home after work today.

EDIT: More accurately, I'll be making a ZMAPINFO, as no other port which uses MAPINFO allows for disabling jumping and from what I gather, Eternity is the only other port that has jumping to begin with. So, strictly speaking, EE players will be able to cheat with jumps anyway, but that's their choice I guess!

DBLPost/Bump/OMGWTFHAX

http://www.phobus.servegame.com/doom/MHEMb05.zip

That's got a current-format ZMAPINFO (currently commented out the titlepatch lines as we don't have those graphics in the beta) which only affects ZDoom ports - as mentioned earlier, we can get somebody in on DeHackEd to do a patch for ports like Boom or whatever that don't use ZMAPINFO and as Eternity can't disable jumping and doesn't use Hexen format MAPINFO (with other ports that do use that format being quite inconsistent, hence the safety of ZMAPINFO being utilised), that might as well use a .deh patch too. Also, credit Tango for his orange sky (RSKY1 patch in the .WAD, used for both SKY1 and SKY2). Tested in prboom+ and ZDoom 2.5.0 (both worked as expected)

As a final note, the individual map download links in the OP are no longer valid, as I've deleted the files. Seems sensible, as there's a full beta floating around.

Got it. Also trying to figure out why maps 03 and 05 keep switching back to old spots in every beta D:

EDIT: What I'd written makes no sense. Try swapping the maps in DB2 (make one of them MAP13 first, then do the swap, to make sure nothing goes wrong) by editing the map properties and then swapping the music appropriately. Should cover it, IMO.

I think its better in Beta 06. Check it out.

Shit, I totally forgot this was meant to be being checked again... I'll have a look at this tonight and see if it's in the correct order and ready to get out into the world as a finished product. We've left this for too long now...

Writing the txtfile tonight. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Again, seems alright to me. Oddly enough, MAYhem2012.wad has MAYHEM-D.wad inside it, which seems to contain MAP07 again. Can't quite imagine how that worked out, but ZDoom has no trouble running the mapset or playing MAP07 so I guess it's a non-issue past being a minor waste of filesize. Probably worth crediting Nick Baker for the recoloured texture set rather than Realm667, as that tends to make people assume Torm made it.

I get a sense that you're not too happy with how this project worked out in the end, TMD?

When have you ever seen me happy with a result?

Better yet, when have you seen me happy over anything?

That said, yeah, I figured there would be a few changes in order, one of which was who to credit for the texture pack.

I still think it's a good achievement, and there are some decent levels in this mapset. Especially yours phobus and TMD, I probably should write a very long written apology for map11...........

TheMionicDonut said:

When have you ever seen me happy with a result?

Better yet, when have you seen me happy over anything?

That said, yeah, I figured there would be a few changes in order, one of which was who to credit for the texture pack.

Well, I'd not have seen you happy over anything as I'm not familiar enough with most of the community to know what to expect from people ;)

I agree with cannonball (thanks, BTW :) ) - we've got some nice maps in here and, as you've pointed out, this project has been a lot more time-efficient than CC4 :P

Exactly. The problem is more that I have impossible standards.

I'll give it you that turn-out was underwhelming - especially when you consider the number of authors who actually contributed to the project.

Totally bumping this up because I've noticed we're still not on the archives!

Donut, I think we're ready for that now ;)

It didnt update?

Shee-it. Getting on that now. If only I knew how to archive.

There's a stickied thread on this forum (possibly in WADs & Mods itself) that should cover it, but basically you just need to connect to the FTP server and make sure the .txt and .zip file both have the same 8-character name. Then upload them (.txt inside the .zip and also seperate to it) into the /incoming folder.

cannonball said:

Woohoo!!! Mayhem released in September, "insert rant about red tape here"
Looking forward to the release :)

Well in fairness it was released in July.

My browser keeps crashing when I attempt to make a txtfile. As soon as that happens I will upload.