Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

Doomworld's Desktop Wallpaper Thread [Read the image-posting rules in the FAQ]

fraggle said:

Given me a Mac for free?

Haha, fair point. Out of curiosity, what was the deciding factor for switching to OSX from Debian?

exp(x) said:

Haha, fair point. Out of curiosity, what was the deciding factor for switching to OSX from Debian?

I had the choice of either, and picked a Mac. My girlfriend uses one and I'd used it enough to be comfortable with the decision; a large percentage of my most tech-savvy friends also use Macs now, which also helped.

DoomUK said:

I thought you were an XP zealot? Or is that just a Win7 theme?

Long story....I had to reinstall after a fatal HD crash, and I had an "experimental" spare HD lying around with Windows 7 installed, so I continued using that one instead. It actually works well enough, and was less of a driver-hunting PITA to install, so it just stuck.

However, at my workplace I "cheat" and still use XP with the ViStart add-on. Hey, this way I get the best of both worlds ;-)

I'm now seriously reconsidering if any failing workstations with at least 1 GB of RAM should use 7 instead... XP SP3 with all the latest doo-dahds isn't as light as it used to be, and driver hunting is really getting old...

Spoiler

meh...I must be getting soft...but just to spite everybody, I admit that I still run XWE and DoomBuilder under 7. What incompatibilities? :-p

ducon said:

Is that doomguy face a system status monitor? Does it get hurt/ouchface during heavy loads/crashes?

Jodwin said:

Why are there always so many dark and depressing desktops whenever a new thread like this gets posted here?

Because nobody likes to watch colorful desktop right after waking up.

fraggle said:

Given me a Mac for free?

Free Macintosh? How? Did you win it at a contest?

Or maybe do you work for Google?

Do you also have Windows on your computer, just in case?

Jodwin said:

Why are there always so many dark and depressing desktops whenever a new thread like this gets posted here?

I didn't think mine was that depressing. :/

Jodwin said:

Because it hurts your eyes to look at bright wallpaper when you sit in the dark to play games.

printz said:

Hey, didn't I post that? :P That's from a modified E3M8 which contains the whole population of Ultimate Doom in a teleportation box :P

Yeah, sorry, I should've mentioned that the desktop image wasn't of my own creation. I really like it.

Jodwin said:

Mine is not depressing...My background is some many levels of awesomeness....Necron Lord from Dawn Of War in case anyone was wondering or didn't know.

Maes said:

Is that doomguy face a system status monitor? Does it get hurt/ouchface during heavy loads/crashes?

It’s Gkrellm Flynn. The more the system is loaded, the more Flynn is wounded.

Laptop: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/mookmonster/laptop.png

Desktop: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/mookmonster/desktop-1.png

I had one background for several years until about a month ago I found a picture of my bedroom window view from the old house I used to live in back in the early 2000s. So that is what I am sticking with for my laptop. The desktop is just an awesome nebula wallpaper I found.

[picture no longer working]
(Mars)

As Obama would say, NASA is great source for pc wallpapers and pictures for office decoration.