Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

International Doom League Switches Hosting Source Port

Vulture said:

Let me be more specific.

When you enable ZDoom mode in Odamex, the ZDoom physics that is emulated is based on ZDoom 1.23 beta 33, which is the same version of ZDoom that ZDaemon is based on. The rocket jumping in Odamex should be exactly the same compared ZDaemon's. And if it is not, the team would like to hear about it in a descriptive bug report.

I just tested a couple different jumps on Odamex with zdoom physics and it's different than ZDaemon: can't jump as high, can't jump as far, jumping backwards from a stand-still doesn't go as high or far, etc. Also, rockets went through walls on rjumpq map02 and 03.

EDIT: yes, I used 0.5.6

ZDaemon's jumping code suffers from some bugs in the ZDoom version it's based on so this is hardly surprising.

Graf, you should know by now that when a Doom engine is considered a reference, it never suffers from bugs, it enjoys subtle gameplay features. Ports without them are the one that are bugged.

Bugs or not, people have been rjumping on ZDaemon since at least 2005, and several wads were made specifically for the ZDaemon/oldZDoom physics.

It doesn't bother me that other ports have different physics. If anything, it means different rjumping strategies for different ports. Odamex shouldn't have to mimic ZDaemon's physics.

Gez said:

Graf, you should know by now that when a Doom engine is considered a reference, it never suffers from bugs, it enjoys subtle gameplay features. Ports without them are the one that are bugged.

So...

an engine that contains a bug that fatally breaks some vanilla WADs is considered reference...?

That's something completely new to me. :D

(Just in case someone says that vanilla doesn't have jumping - that's correct - but the bug in question is not jumping related - but instead how gravity is handled.)

TimeOfDeath said:

I just tested a couple different jumps on Odamex with zdoom physics and it's different than ZDaemon: can't jump as high, can't jump as far, jumping backwards from a stand-still doesn't go as high or far, etc. Also, rockets went through walls on rjumpq map02 and 03.

You probably tested it on Odamex 0.5.6, which still has ZDoom 1.22 physics. You need to test on Odamex 0.6 which is not released. However you can easily obtain a binary from someone in #odamex on quakenet.

zdaemon feels completely frictionless mid-air and there's a slight change in player speed. that's why rocketjumping feels so great, there's so much raw power for ultra-long jumps. my experience with skulltag and later zdoom rjumping was disappointing because of all the aircontrol and sluggish feel.

Vermil said:

*port physics stuff, zdaemon closed source etc*

Burden of proof is on ZDaemon then, not Odamex.

EDIT: oops, looks like there's a whole other page here!
But yeah, you'd definitely want to test 0.6

Could someone PM me a link to 0.6?

I was wondering when you'd show up, dew. :)
I agree with your sluggish comment. I still like rjumping in zdoom on single player maps with monsters and simpler jumps, but for straight-up rjumping-only maps with big jumps and combos, ZDaemon is definitely my fav. I haven't tried Skulltag a lot, since the high amount of air control takes some getting used to, but that also opens up the door for different strategies like the wall climbing.