Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betabox

Any way to find a music's source?

As the title says, is there any way for it? Or would anyone happen to know for this music track?

I have this file for a couple of years, but don't remember and never bothered back in the day to check where I got it from. The most surprising thing about it is, of course, the track's length for short file size, at over 20 minutes (don't bother wasting time listening to the whole thing, it gets very boring, dull, repetitive).

Sounds like from a horror-style Doom WAD or console game. But since it's in my Winamp folder, could it just be a botched file conversion that turned out to be quite music-like?

This: http://speedy.sh/bRXNH/longtrack.mp3

If it's copyrighted shit, I'll drop the link immediately.

It's small size is due to it being of horrendously low quality (mono 16kbps). At first it sounded like something from Chasm: The Rift or PSX Doom, but I don't remember any tracks being this long...

Ugh, had it playing while typing this up and thinking. Some seriously freaky lo-fi shit...

Well, that would explain why its filesize is miniscule.

I can say for sure it's not from the PSX Doom ports (unless it's a multiple looping lo-fi version, but it's hard to distinguish).

Beats me. It sounds like a recording someone made of the music from a 90s FPS game. Does the music repeat at all? Does your copy preserve the creation/modification dates of the file?

It's awful music. It's barely music at all.

It might repeat, but it's hard to tell. And yeah, its barebones music-sounding is probably why it might be from a PSX/N64 style Doom WAD.

I vaguely recall converting a track 3 years ago, and something screwed up during conversion and this may have been the result. But that I'm not sure of.

EDIT: And the one I have was created/modified in February of 2009. I believe that's when I got the file made.

It sounds like somebody took Super Metroid's Crateria track and slowed it down by a factor of fifty.

The noises that come in around 2:00-ish are pretty freaky though.

From I feel from this, I get a Castlevania and Gauntlet feeling for music. sounds pretty cool (x5 version).. It may be Castlevania if you slow it to 3.5 to 4.0 speed.

Holy shit, it's clear now.

It came from a Final Fantasy game on SNES (like one of the final battles).

Wow. Ok, solved.

Thanks.

There we go. Enjoy the real thing and put this conversion screwup to rest (or use it somehow).

Solved now? :)

It's still barely music. Japanese games had better music before they got into the phase where they tried to simulate orchestras with 30 KB of samples.

Oh wow, that's pretty neat. It actually is music and not just 25 minutes worth of ambient garbage.

Damn. I wish I bothered clicking on this thread earlier. As a hunch, I tried speeding it up in Goldwave, and I instantly knew what game it was from. It sounded very "epic", so I took a stab that it was the final boss music. Anyway...

Instead of dirtying up the forums with another similar thread, perhaps you guys can help me out too.

I asked the video author if he knew where it was from, but he said all he remembered is that it was from some sort of Japanese Shmup.

I'm assuming the original version of the song to not be in the doomy-style as heard in the video, if that makes things any simpler.

Thanks.

Reminds me a lot of the music from ROTT, actually.