Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vdaxzter

PSX Doom weapon components and PSX style WADs

I've been playing the PSX Doom TC on PC. Looking at videos of the real PSX Doom, I noticed that the speed of weapon firing and the weapon animations are different than the TC (which just uses the regular Doom weapon firing speeds and animations so far as I can tell). Compare this video of the real PSX Doom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceYBkQXGEf4 to this video of the TC in GZDoom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrRGmLmqedk . The difference is most apparent when watching the shotgun firing, although the SSG has a faster rate of fire in the PSX version too, I think. Is there any way to get these elements of the real PSX Doom on the PC TC?

Also, I really love the audio/visual elements of PSX Doom, so I'm looking for PSX style Doom WADs. I'm currently playing through Threshold of Pain, which is fucking amazing (really looking forward to ToP II). While I doubt it gets any better than ToP, I'd like to try other PSX style WADs if they exist.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, Xaser's Lost Episode has the PSX Final Doom SSG which I extracted the graphics from to use personally. You can also find a PSX music WAD off Doom Depot. Sodaholic's got a refined (proper rip) PSX sounds WAD as well you could ask him for. I find Sigvatr's custom palette makes the game look rather PSX Doom-y.

These all combined create a good, darker atmosphere for an ordinary mapset.

The TC is never going to be a 1:1 replication of the original game. That just isn't possible with GZDoom's features as they are now. The newest version in development now has some changes made to certain things' speeds and the gravity in order to better match the PSX version.

Would Doom 64 EX be the perfect engine to work on a 1:1 replica?

Not really, a lot of things changed about the map format. I don't really know much about the PSX engine internals, but I know its format is closer to the PC/Jag version than Doom64, just with some extra lumps used by the hardware renderer. About the only benefit Doom64EX has is that it runs at the 30 tic rate instead of 35.

A while back I was playing around with some of the code in Chocolate Doom and changed the TICRATE from 35 to 15, which is the actual TICRATE in JagDoom. After changing the frame duration of all the sprites to the PSX type, the animation felt identical to PSXDoom, especially when firing the shotgun.

However, I thought much of the "feel" of PSXDOOM comes from the graphics renderer of the Playstation.

Omnipotus said:

A while back I was playing around with some of the code in Chocolate Doom and changed the TICRATE from 35 to 15, which is the actual TICRATE in JagDoom.

Woah, 15? Did they adjust the gameplay speed to better match the PC version, or was the gameplay really 43% of the original speed of the PC?

I completely forgot that the Jag version's tic rate was 15. They doubled the speed of most frames to make up for it. Doubling introduced some rounding errors here and there.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Cyanosis said:

Sodaholic's got a refined (proper rip) PSX sounds WAD as well you could ask him for

He probably stole it from FireBrandX's byte-perfect raw dumps from the ISO

Cyanosis said:

Revenant's a joke on PSX.

Agree - though he had to be made more geriatric to enable even less experienced players to survive.

Sodaholic said:

Woah, 15? Did they adjust the gameplay speed to better match the PC version, or was the gameplay really 43% of the original speed of the PC?

The gameplay is a bit slower than the PC, but they seemed to try to match it closer to the original speed. I noticed the enemies seemed a bit faster in animation on the PC. But I think to make up for that slower framerate, they actually increased the speed of the enemies a few tics up. The framerate was low enough on the PSX that I was able to get a demon to bite a barrel without having to move away too fast, something which I haven't been able to do on the PC version.

Omnipotus said:

The framerate was low enough on the PSX that I was able to get a demon to bite a barrel without having to move away too fast, something which I haven't been able to do on the PC version.

Possibly because the PC version had its demon attack method changed to be a simple distance check, making it impossible for the demon to hit a different mobj by mistake.

love the PSX TC! but it can only do so much. It will never feel like the original.. If you are looking for that, get the orginal, and a 5$ PSX from a thrift store, or an emulator, either ones works well! A worthwhile purchase! Though here in Vancouver, Canada, i could pay way less for a psx and a copy of doom then to buy a boxed version of any pc doom. Im not sure about anywhere else, but value village and sally anne have served the majority of my collection, including all of my dos and win 95/98 systems, and even valueable games such as mario rpg and chrono trigger (multiple copies), boxed systems of almost every category! Enjoy the TC, but try the original! Same with the N64 version, great game! one of the few games i bought new, but i have 3 copies! Not a major purchase if you have the consoles! Play the SNES version to! i helped make a mod years ago to replicate it, not the same, but a fun alternative!