Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
diosoth

MUS to MIDI in Win7 64 bit

I wanted to rip some music from a WAD to just listen to, problem is, it's in MUS format. Nothing I have seems to want to play these files as-is... Winamp supposedly had support for the format, but it's not working now. WMP can't recognize them. To make it even more fun, I run 64-bit windows 7, so MUS2MIDI doesn't run as it's 16-bit. Are there any other conversion programs, do I fiddle with DOSbox to get MUS2MIDI to possibly work, or do I hope I can find the music someplace to download?

While I haven't tried it in Win7 yet, you might like to try XMPlay with its WAD archive plugin. You'll also need the midi plugin and a decent soundfont in order to hear anything, but that will allow you to play MUS tracks direct from wads. Transcribing the tracks to a better supported format (if you also want to listen to them in a portable player) is a matter of adding and configuring a MP3, OGG and/or FLAC encoder and directing the player's output it.

Hope this helps.

I installed Slade 3, and it wants me to choose a soundfont file before it could play the files... though I was able to export it to a MIDI file without choosing that(just as well, beyond the default GS Wavetable that W7 uses I don't think I have any soundfont files...). Though if I could install some alternates I'd do so because GS is a bit lame.

I may give XMplay a try. Honestly, Winamp's MIDI playback support isn't that great because it has volume issues, and WMP plays them fine but I can't make them repeat/loop despite my best efforts to set the program to do so.

I just edited the post above, found I could export the file without the soundfont selected.

diosoth said:

I installed Slade 3, and it wants me to choose a soundfont file before it could play the files...

That's because it uses FluidSynth for MIDI playback.