Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Limiting former-dudes' ammo

As is pretty commonly bemoaned, distant snipers can be a real bother as they are hard/near impossible to kill and have a limitless supply of ammo. What if formers could pick up ammo and only had, say, 200 bullets and 40 shells respectively to start. Would this mod be possible in Zdoom? It would introduce some new design considerations for mappers who might be otherwise bored with the same setups over and over.

This could possibly be extended to arachnatrons, revenants, mancubuses, cyberdemons, spiderdemons and SS officers.

A good idea. I've always thought about this when playing games since very few shooter games account for finite ammo amounts in enemies. What would be even cooler is if the enemies who had finite ammo supplies could also have upgraded A.I. enabling them to conserve ammo or use it more wisely, or even brandish a melee weapon when they run out of projectile ammunition.

It's definitely possible in ZDoom with DECORATE and inventory checking action codepointers, but they better have alternate attacks when they run out!

All of that's pretty easy to do; you'd just give the appropriate monster a set number of some dummy item that will be depleted per shot, and you could also do some pseudo-AI stuff, like for example, once the held amount of dummy items drops below a certain amount, they get more choosy, more accurate, etc with shots.

Things get more complicated if you want the monsters to actually scrounge the level to restock ammo. That would be interesting to see, though.

CC2 Map24 never 4get.

TheMionicDonut said:

CC2 Map24 never 4get.

It wasn't that bad.

Hellbent said:

This could possibly be extended to arachnatrons, revenants, mancubuses, cyberdemons, spiderdemons and SS officers.

I can imagine playing now levels that so often have mancubi and arachnotrons in the distance trying to pot shot, taking their distance for granted, and the next thing you know they are in your face trying to kick/slam you. Everything would need melee attacks, obviously.

Watching the Mastermind run out of ammo would be kind of funny.

I always thought the Cyberdemon should have something similar to the charge attack that the Maulotaur does in Heretic.

You'd have to write code for when they're killed whatever ammo they have they drop. If they have no ammo left, you no longer get a clip or shotgun from the bodies of the former humans and sergeants.