Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Night-Fang

PrBOOM vs. ZDoom

ZDaemon 1.0 is a complete re-write. New networe code, everything. Any part of the old csdoom will no longer exist in 1.0. Though, I've been thinking recently about changing to a new port or stay with the new ZDoom 1.23

Heres some quick pros and cons:

ZDoom:
Pro- Everyone uses it, easilly the most popular port out there
Con- Its buggy yes, and it abstracts some of Dooms orginal features. Its been re-written so many times its almost not doom anymore.

PrBoom:
Pro- VERY stable basic port of what Doom once was. Has high resolutions and even OpenGL support.

Con- Not as many people use it, lacks scripting support that ZDoom has.

So what do you think? I'm open to opinons and suggestions on what the next ZDaemon should be... Either reply to this thread or fire an email off to wsean@comcast.net. Votes will be tallied and a winner will be decided.

prboom should be the choice for the new zdaemon.

zdoom drifts too far away from the original doom, movements aren't right, silent bfg isn't in there by default, you stick on walls more, you can wall run both ways, and i could go on forever.

prboom sticks so close to the original that even original lmps work on it. playing doom for so many years back in the day modem to modem, made you quite accustomed to how doom played. zdoom just doesn't feel this way, nor has it ever. prboom does, and if it had some decent net code, i'm sure many more players would join, and the people that still want to play lame zdoom, will be able to still.

all of you should think about which port should really be put to use.

zdoom is fine for glitz and glamor, but we're talking deathmatch, and zdoom isn't real doom.

If you want it to be more like doom2.exe than PrBoom for sure. If you want it to be more like, well, ZDoom, then ZDoom, of course :P

Personally, I would go with PrBoom, since no one has made anything like ZDaemon for anything other than ZDoom. Plus it sounds like it would pretty much have built-in OpenGL support, even though the PrBoom OpenGL code is shit.

I'd like to see it for PRBoom (for reasons already listed), although would it be so hard to copy the networking code to ZDoom once it's implemented to PRBoom?

It's a tough decision for me. On one hand, I'd rather play Doom on PRboom then on Zdoom. On the other hand, I'd like to see Zdaemon use a complete version of Zdoom 1.23 so I could play Heretic or even maybe Hexen on it.

Zdoom, it will allow people to create even cooler maps with slopes, 3d bridges (over and under at once), and all the scripting goodness. I mean, think about the fbase series in a CS port...mmm. BTW, here's a quiz for you all! DO YOU KNOW WHO MADE THE NAME ZDAEMON AND DIDN'T GET ANY CREDIT?

Combined with the emails and the opinons on this thread the score is TIED right now as of 3/18 (7:58est) with PrBOOM at 8 and ZDoom at 8.

Wish Doomworld still had an official poll on their front page... =/

Don't count this, since I've already done an email, but I believe that prboom would be better. Prboom is closer to doom2.exe than zdoom.

One thing that everyone forgets is that there are TWO zdoom-based client/server ports. Anyone remember csdoom?

If you want zdoom, use csdoom. If zdaemon used prboom, then people would have a choice.

If you want to see the hardcore/oldschooler deathmatchers be happy, go with PrBoom for it lets you do the original DM tricks, wallruns, weapon grabs and the weapons/movement/mouse code is not broken (compared to doom2.exe). If you want the people who just go and shoot some ass once in a week, go with ZDoom. The most commonly played maps on LANs are still Map01 and the dwango series, which don't have any ZDoom specific features in them anyway. Count one more vote for PrBoom from me.

Originally posted by Ralphis
Zdoom, it will allow people to create even cooler maps with slopes, 3d bridges (over and under at once), and all the scripting goodness.

I think the same

Why not Eternity?

It has good scripting, is nearly as oldschool as prBoom from a gameplay point of view, is very stable, will soon be ported to windows (this is in-progress) and is in desperate need for good network code.
Believe me, Eternity will be the port of choice in a future not that far away.

you should go with prboom, since zdoom isn't really doom anymore.

eternity is for the moment compiled for the retarded os dos and is very dependant on djgpp which only exists for dos.....

Originally posted by schepe
you should go with prboom, since zdoom isn't really doom anymore.

schepe

i stand corrected.... SoM ported eternity to windows.... so it might be good... if they can keep their dirty fingers off the gameplay....

it would be so sweet to use prboom. Do it for us deathmatchers.

--Bluntman

Zdoom sucks and doesnt offer anything to deathmatch. Zdoom is a port for editing, not playing. Thus it should not be the base for a deathmatch port.

I also dont like all the quake code that is used in zdoom. If i wanted to play quake i would play quake.

I vote prboom

Zdoom is the anti-christ