Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Project: Illuminatus (32-level Megawad) [Full WAD Finally Released To /idgames]

This is not too bad actually, but a couple things I've noticed that are bad habits.

Manual curves: These guys are just too inconsistent to use constantly check sector 472 - 475 this area should probably be symmetrical. Although spots like this yes you can do manually no problem you would probably benefit from using the curve plugin when doing areas like this.

Textures: Pay closer attention to textures like stone2 and stone3 what do you notice about these textures? Try splitting your linedefs on textures like STARTAN series then manually sliding the textures along the X-Axis so that panels meet all the edges (You'll get smaller and/or larger panels but more consistent alignment.

Remember consider textures MATERIALS not texures!

Lighting: This isn't horrible but some suggestions where you have say stairs that goes around a curve lower the light levels around the curve ex... 144 128 112 96 112 128 144
Also use more sectors and some gradients I never see this used in these maps!

Mazes: Avoid using generic mazes remember the level it's self is the maze!

Overall: Not bad but I wouldn't shoot for 32 levels at this point not at this level of quality. You should consider doing an episode at a time and working on the maps you have already as there is many improvements that can made. If you keep making maps at this rate sure you'll probably finish but I don't think it will help the overall quality you really need to perfect what you have then use those skills to finish the project.

Those are some nice tips Pottus, but can you tell me what maps that the problems you pointed out are located? (the maps with the sector numbers you pointed out?)

Oh my bad, I forgot to put the level that was level 10, now doing manual turns is ok just make sure that the they are symmetrical however you should really try using proper curves more often.

MAP01 Sector 207 - 214 this too me this is a ugly way of doing a curve although also keep in mind that you shouldn't worry too much if your map looks like a turd in the editor it's in game that counts I would still shoot for better structure here though as it will make your mapping more consistent.

OK I see what you mean now with the stairs in MAP10 and MAP01. But I wonder if any other successful WADs had stairs like the stairs I have in those maps?

Also, what map are you referring to about the lighting? (the one with sector numbers 144 128 112 96 112 128 and 144)

I'm just talking about light levels around corners, I'll post an example here consider this.

Notice how the light level is darkest around the middle of the curve? This is what I mean.

That is just the light gradient values, i'm not implying any specific level either, this is a technique to UTILIZE i'm not saying use it everywhere but try it, learn it expand on it and most of all understand it. You must look at all the stuff you have done well in your maps and the stuff you've done bad.

I like to think of mapping as a triangle with layout and textures on the top and game play at the bottom. It's always hardest to create great game play however great game play does not require elaborately detailed rooms and super new awesome textures. Game play requires a good layout but if you put too much into the layout the basic structure can fall apart and this is where textures come in. When you combine a good layout with good texture choices you generate detail without having to add crazy amounts of sectors.

I've learned my lessons of what not to do and it takes a while to learn that but along the way you'll discover that things that don't quite work out sometimes something unexpectedly does happen and this is the most important techniques to keep with yourself failure is more important than success as you can't succeed without failing but in the end failure becomes success.

I did not play this yet, because I am waiting for full versions with 32maps. It looks like simple and fast maps on these screens. That is good for a change from all these enormous and hard maps in ambitious projects. Not that I would not like these too.. I play just about everything that is not troll wad or obvious trash.

Do you still work on this? I want to avoid endeless waiting in case you abadoned this megawad.

Sokoro said:

Do you still work on this? I want to avoid endeless waiting in case you abadoned this megawad.

Yes I am still working on this, but I do other stuff besides map making so it's going to take me a while. Right now I'm working om MAP13 and then I'll tweak MAP05 & MAP06 afterwards.

NiTROACTiVE said:

MAP08 is done! Here is a screenshot:

-horrid ceiling-

I know this is a pretty old shot now and you may have changed it already, but for the love of all that is unholy, just use a flat TLITE6_5 ceiling there. That FLAT20 grid looks terrible and it might cause a VPO, which is something to be mindful of if you have any interest in this running in vanilla.

Phew! MAP13 is finally done! Here's a screenshot:

I also made a few tweaks to MAP05 and MAP06. MAP05 now has boxes of shotgun shells in the hall of all the revenants, while MAP06 has a plasma gun in one of the secrets. I also centered the water machine in one of the rooms in MAP06 as well.

@Dragonsbrethren I've been thinking about your post and I like the ceiling the way it is and I was inspired by a ceiling in my college's library. I'll show you a picture of the ceiling when I get the chance. I'm not sure if could cause a VPO but if it does, then let me know and I'll change the ceiling in the map.

MAP14 is done! Here's a screenshot that shows part of the map:

As you can probably tell, I'm using the sky Pottus made for episode 2. It will be the sky that I will be using for the episode but I like to thank DooMAD for making his sky too.

I'm also still thinking of a intermission screen for my megawad but it won't be too detailed and complex. Any ideas?

Mr. Chris found a bug in MAP05 that one of the doors won't open while Grain of Salt pointed out that the lifts in MAP03 were not tagged. If you guys find any more bugs in episode 1, then please let me know.

NiTROACTiVE said:

@Dragonsbrethren I've been thinking about your post and I like the ceiling the way it is and I was inspired by a ceiling in my college's library. I'll show you a picture of the ceiling when I get the chance. I'm not sure if could cause a VPO but if it does, then let me know and I'll change the ceiling in the map.

You know, I think if you want to replicate that, you're better off using a new flat texture.

For example:

Here I've also darkened a bit the little squares to reduce the clash between the dark background and them.

With that texture, you can get rid of the excessive sector detailing.

MAP15 is finally finished! It's also the biggest map so far. Here's a preview screenshot:

However there are no secret levels yet so don't expect to find a secret exit when you get there.

GreyGhost helped me fix a problem with MAP12 and he helped me fix some other bugs in the first maps.

@Dragonsbrethren: Here's some ceilings at my school that inspired me to make the ceiling like the one in MAP08: #1 #2 #3 #4

@Gez: That's a cool texture you made there but I made the squares in the room bigger to avoid the VPO error so I don't need that flat to fix the problem, but thanks anyways. I can however use that flat for future projects.

NiTROACTiVE said:

Here's some ceilings at my school that inspired me to make the ceiling like the one in MAP08: #1 #2 #3 #4

Would be a hell of a job deciding where to place smoke alarm sensors in that place.

MAP17 is done! Here's a screenshot:

As you can see it has a Hellish theme to it, but this level is a castle. It was also inspired by MAP19: The Citadel of Doom 2 and MAP14: Fortress of Evil of Icarus: Alien Vanguard.

I was also hoping to get this the whole megawad done by 2012 but I was busy with other stuff. Also I'm starting college again tomorrow. Let'd hope I can get the whole megawad done & released by 2013.

MAP18 is finished! Here's a screnshot:

Also, when I finish episode 2, I'm going to have some users test it out before releasing it.

MAP19 is finished! It's an abandoned theme. Here's a picture:

I also have a texture that I'm looking for that I just thought up. You know the exit texture that looks like this?:

I'm still looking for a hellish style of the texture if there is one. The style up above is the base style (or the earth version).

Here are the patches that they are made up of along with their names:

So is there a hellish style of the texture and it's patches?

Also, I'm now allowing people to ask if they want to beta test my WAD after I get MAP20 done. GreyGhost already applied but I need others to apply as well.

I might be able to test for you, but don't be surprised if I forget to do it: I'm rather good at forgetting stuff. On a side note, I'm presuming this is a vanilla megawad? I could do the DeHackEd work for you if you like.

Obsidian said:

I might be able to test for you, but don't be surprised if I forget to do it: I'm rather good at forgetting stuff. On a side note, I'm presuming this is a vanilla megawad? I could do the DeHackEd work for you if you like.

OK, but when it's time for testing then I'll have to get one of your emails so I can send it to you. Also, what testing work in DeHackEd would you be able to contribute?

NiTROACTiVE said:

OK, but when it's time for testing then I'll have to get one of your emails so I can send it to you. Also, what testing work in DeHackEd would you be able to contribute?

Just send it to my email on my profile. :)

As fr the DeHackEd, I was kind of thinking along the lines of maybe some new monsters, if you were keen. I dunno about you, but an awesome custom boss is definitely one of the things that persuade me to download a wad. I'm on a bit of a DeHackEd buzz, if you hadn't noticed. =D

Obsidian said:

Just send it to my email on my profile. :)

As fr the DeHackEd, I was kind of thinking along the lines of maybe some new monsters, if you were keen. I dunno about you, but an awesome custom boss is definitely one of the things that persuade me to download a wad. I'm on a bit of a DeHackEd buzz, if you hadn't noticed. =D

OK I'll send it to you when the time comes.

Also, this WAD won't have custom monster or bosses because this is a classic style WAD, but I have planned future projects that will use custom monsters and bosses. However this has custom flats and side textures, but I have those taken care of.

MAP20 is finally done! Sorry for the wait, it was because I was busy with personal stuff. Here's a screenshot:

Well with MAP20 done, Episodes 1 & 2 are now done, and I'll be releasing this version soon. I'm still in need of two more beta testers, but I'll send the beta version to the people on my possible testers list and see what they can do about it, if the can that is.

I'm still waiting for GreyGhost, Satori Komeiji (YouTube), Mr. Chris and Obsidian to finish testing out my WAD so they can give me the results to see if I need to fix anything. I would like to get some test results so that I can release my WAD. Not trying to be impatient her, just saying.

Just played through MAP01 and some of MAP02, so a litle bit 'o feedback.

From what I can see there's a nice little exploration theme, but there's not quite enough eyecandy. I know this is vanilla, but the rooms are just a wee bit plain for my liking. The light level for the map was pretty even throughout as well, which bothered me a bit: the light textures on the walls weren't lighting anything! 8-0 Gameplay is pretty alright so far, but then again I haven't played the whole thing yet: I'd recommend throwing the player a few curveballs gameplay-wise to keep them on their toes. Hopefully this helps.

Obsidian said:

Just played through MAP01 and some of MAP02, so a litle bit 'o feedback.

From what I can see there's a nice little exploration theme, but there's not quite enough eyecandy. I know this is vanilla, but the rooms are just a wee bit plain for my liking. The light level for the map was pretty even throughout as well, which bothered me a bit: the light textures on the walls weren't lighting anything! 8-0 Gameplay is pretty alright so far, but then again I haven't played the whole thing yet: I'd recommend throwing the player a few curveballs gameplay-wise to keep them on their toes. Hopefully this helps.

Thank you for the feedback and advice Obsidian.

Anyways I have an update. Satori Komeiji of YouTube got done testing with the megawad and I sent his/her results to GreyGhost to look at. GreyGhost has been busy and I'm hoping he can test the megawad and give me results soon. In the meantime, I'm working on MAP21 of the megawad which is the first level of the full megawad. So hopefully I can release the second episode soon.

MAP21 is done! Here's a screenshot of it. And it's from episode 3 so it has a hellish theme to it:

Also, I'm still awaiting test results from GreyGhost, and as of March 25th 2013, he claims that he is on MAP15. He also said he'll send me fixed versions of the maps he found problems in which will help me. Once he's done, then I'll prepare episodes 1 & 2 for release.

Haven't gotten around to playing the file sent a while ago as I'm still caught up in my own projects.