Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Same sex marriage now constitutionally outlawed in North Carolina

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17997794
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/politics/north-carolina-marriage/index.html

BBC article says:
State election officials said 61% had voted for the measure banning gay unions, and 39% opposed it.

Apparently North Carolina has decided a law against marrying your same-sex partner isn't enough, so they've decided to join the 29 other states who've amended this ban into their state constitutions. Woohoo for postponing the inevitable!

Why do people care what goes on in other people's private lives so much?

Still can't quite figure out how people in a supposedly civilised society can be so backwards. Maybe it's all the inbreeding they get up to there. That, and the bible-thumping zombie mentality.

DooMAD said:

Still can't quite figure out how people in a supposedly civilised society can be so backwards. Maybe it's all the inbreeding they get up to there. That, and the bible-thumping zombie mentality.

The ridiculous notion that gay people can't get married isn't exclusive to the bible-thumping parts of the US. Gay marriage is technically illegal in the UK too, the more clinical-sounding "civil partnership" being the only option allowed.

North Carolina is going to be transformed into Ravenholm and the inhabitants better pack some serious firepower before their Governor summons Lucifer.

printz said:

Religion should STOP BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY. Seriously.

The parody of religion that these people proclaim to follow should be anyway. I'm about as disgusted by the thought of a man ramming his schlong up his BF's ass as any sane thinking person would be.

BUT if they are enjoying themselves who the fuck am I to tell them what to do? Perhaps I should open to a random verse in the bible and check what size knife I use to murder them with:

John 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Which is Jesus' poetic way of telling busybodies about to murder a woman who had engaged in a sexual practice they didn't agree with to leave her the fuck alone. I think it applies here too. If marriage is so sacred......ummm divorces?!

DuckReconMajor said:

I'm just gonna admit it. When I read those verses as a child, my weenie was rock solid.

Maybe it was the sensual touch of the priest holy spirit.

Ba Dum Tss!

Mr. T said:

I'm about as disgusted by the thought of a man ramming his schlong up his BF's ass as any sane thinking person would be.

I am pretty sure there are some "sane thinking" gay men who are not disgusted by those thoughts.

I wonder if it'll get a state supreme court review like the one in California did.... though judging the numbers, there's a good chance those enlightened, appointed judges are just as asinine and paranoid as many others in the state seem to be.

Does this have to do with that Amendment One thing I kept seeing on Facebook? My aunt and cousin seem pretty ashamed to be living in NC right now. At least it's no South Carolina, I guess.

This move shows so much broken thinking it's just crazy. Everything the most vocal proponents of such amendments have to say about gays doesn't fit reality for starters. We've been over that a bazillion times around here.

Then they argue there isn't a social benefit to marriages that don't produce children. Apparently committed relationships do nothing for society; it's all about having two (different sex, but otherwise similar) parents bring up children. By their logic, sterile people shouldn't get any benefits and neither should anyone unwilling to have kids.

They also seem to think it's ok to amend a constitution in a primary (nobody votes in those). For that matter, states often seem to think changing constitutions with only simple majorities is a good idea. Yuck.

It pisses me off becasue all they are asking for is essentially a legal contract to create kinship. Nothing else. No church/God involvement at all.

People are so fucking stupid.

Philnemba said:

Those 61% of people in North Carolina are douchebags!

If the people who want equal rights actually voted, this would have never passed. Religious zealots are the ones that vote, not the rational people, sadly.

Now if only the rest of the confederacy had this kind of courage.