Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Making boss levels and usual level

Is it harder to make boss levels like MAP07, MAP30 in Doom2 or easier than usual levels?

I noticed that boss levels are easier, because they use big halls with less side corridors. Also, on these levels, I found less monsters but of course, theay are the stronger ones.

Boss levels doesn't had to be big, special and interesting because bosses were big, special and interesting as themselves. But now, something more should be done, since bosses are nothing new today - unless you'll use dehacked, decorate or something. Boss levels should be rather short and at least a bit conceptual.

the bosses in doom arnt that hard to begin with. spidermasterminds are big and clunky so you rarly see them in maps because they require a big space to fit in and move around. spidermasterminds rape you at close range but suck at medium and long range, and their pain chance is soo high that you could painlock them with a supershotgun till they die.

Cyberdemons shoot 3 easy to dodge rockets but since their smaller than masterminds and cant infight or hurt eachother, they can be packed into small rooms. Cyberdemons suck at pretty much all ranges unless you are unlucky enough to be next to a wall where a rocket hits.

But these days you can decorate some pretty challenging bosses that can make boss maps hard.

But tbh its all about monster placement that makes maps hard.

4096x4096x4096 room with a 10x scaled cybie and rockets that defy IDDQD. Or that's how many boss fights go.

Good boss maps take less time to build than normal maps but harder to conceive and execute well.

You can't really make much of a boss level for Doom anymore, assuming that no custom monsters are involved. The only situation(s) that could work would be pistoling or fisting (no berserk) cybers, spiders or AVs, and that's hardly fun.

Make it a really big and majestic level that culminates with a boss fight. I hate short boss maps, they're always disappointing.

printz said:

Make it a really big and majestic level that culminates with a boss fight. I hate short boss maps, they're always disappointing.

Even if by design it is not possible? Say you are making a realistic level where you climb a skyscraper floor by floor, what if the size of the floors don't allow for massive fights?

printz said:

Well, it makes sense.