Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oxyde

Necromantic Thirst: - The Lost Tiles

Hello everyone.
First and foremost, I apologize to Joshy, Darkwave0000, DeathevokatioN, snakes, valkiriforce and Skillsaw for not telling them about this, but all the informations here should help them to know what to do.
------------------

Some of you here might have heard about Necromantic Thirst, either it be from the Wads in Progress page, the lame first and second YouTube trailers, from the French Doom Community boards or hell, lost screenshots posted anywhere on the net.
It was originally meant to be a full scale mega-wad, 32 new maps, and rather big quantity of details and very specific green and black theme. While the ideas are still here, the maps are no more. Due to a huge lack of communication, a bunch of problems, and 5 damn years in the works, motivation to finish the wad is now just gone, from everyone's mind, mine being the first.
So far, the current, dare I say it, "release" only holds a bunch of my maps, and the ressources, for many reasons, that I'll explain if you guys ask. So far, you can play through a "nearly" completed episode 1.
Map01 -- Finished and playable
Map02 -- Finished and playable
Map03 -- Finished and playable
Map04 -- Unfinished
Map05 -- Finished and playable
Map07 -- Finished and playable
Map08 -- Finished and playable
Map09 -- Unfinished

You download the wad here.
Feel free to use these textures in your own wads, as long as proper credits are given. Also, kudos to [WH]-Wilou84, who compiled most of the textures in there.

Mod edit: This was just recently brought to my attention. As the actual (completely uncredited, apparently) author of a bunch of the textures that were included in here, please don't use these in your own wads. They weren't intended to be released this way. Thanks for your understanding!

Wouldn't be better to finish the unfinish maps before releasing this?

Also I was under the impression that it was nearly done when I first watch those 2 trailers on youtube :(

Oxyde said:

So far, the current, dare I say it, "release" only holds a bunch of my maps, and the ressources, for many reasons, that I'll explain if you guys ask.

I ask ;)

So effing sad it turned out like that I don't even feel the desire to try it... Maybe in a few days I'll want.

I guess I'm wondering what everyone else is: Why is only a portion of the wad being released? From the sound of things, there were other authors involved that probably have maps as well.

If interest has died down, I'd say scale it back, package the finished stuff, and release it as a truncated megawad. Just not this segmented. :P

Memfis said:

not funny!

Indeed I'll give you that.

Philnemba said:

Wouldn't be better to finish the unfinish maps before releasing this?

Also I was under the impression that it was nearly done when I first watch those 2 trailers on youtube :(

It sure would, but unfortunately, no one, including me, had enough motivation to finish this wad. However, you, the Doomworld community, are more than welcome to finish it.

Processingcontrol said:

I ask ;)

These maps belong to them, they just do whatever they want with these. And because I didn't want the recent arguments I've had with some members to start again, I removed all of their content. They still do have their maps, they are free to release them later on, or take over the wad re-include them in.

K!r4 said:

So effing sad it turned out like that I don't even feel the desire to try it... Maybe in a few days I'll want.

Like I said on the french Doom boards, the absolute lack of interest from the people I have worked with litterally killed the little motivation I had to finish the wad.

Xaser said:

I guess I'm wondering what everyone else is: Why is only a portion of the wad being released? From the sound of things, there were other authors involved that probably have maps as well.

If interest has died down, I'd say scale it back, package the finished stuff, and release it as a truncated megawad. Just not this segmented. :P

I would have liked, and motivation was just lower than 0% I can tell you that. Sure, a lower scale could have worked, but I didn't feel like it to be honest.

Oxyde said:

It sure would, but unfortunately, no one, including me, had enough motivation to finish this wad. However, you, the Doomworld community, are more than welcome to finish it.

I guess that could do it if enough people are motivated here. With a single thread here and communication focused on this community instead of the CFD, it could be completed in a matter of months. We have more people and many are very experienced in map making. In fact, I could help this fall if it evolves like that and that I have finished my own work.

Plutonia 2 had a hard time too in the middle of its conception! Changing the team has been a very healthy move. And we can still expect completed maps from old members.

Yes, I am very hopeful, but trust me, you are reading this from someone who has learned mapping only because he was worried about the state of Pl2.

Hey Oxyde, do you go by the forum nick name of "Dark" by any chance? I've played your E1 levels before and they were really amazing, and had a lot of feeling in them.

Sorry to see you've lost motivation, we are still working on our map for the project though, just passing it between Snakes and I because valkiri has been a little burnt out lately.... it should be done by the set deadline.

I really hope Necromantic Thirst picks up again because it seems like such an awesome mapset from everything I've seen so far.

Why hasn't that lazy asshole Darkreaver made a map for it yet? :P

DeathevokatioN said:

Hey Oxyde, do you go by the forum nick name of "Dark" by any chance? I've played your E1 levels before and they were really amazing, and had a lot of feeling in them.

Sorry to see you've lost motivation, we are still working on our map for the project though, just passing it between Snakes and I because valkiri has been a little burnt out lately.... it should be done by the set deadline.

I really hope Necromantic Thirst picks up again because it seems like such an awesome mapset from everything I've seen so far.

Why hasn't that lazy asshole Darkreaver made a map for it yet? :P

Indeed I am. Don't worry about the dead line anymore, it doesn't really matter. If someone feels like picking up what was released, they are encouraged to, but I won't work on it anymore.

This is sad. I was kind of following NT's development since I happened across its info and the concept seemed sound. It would be great if someone picked up the lead (coming from a selfish viewpoint of wanting to play all the cool stuff you guys had made up)

The subforum dedicated to this project just screams failure in leadership. A project leader that insults the entire community, deletes important info, changes stuff on a whim and is generally quick to lash out at others for their supposed shortcomings while never looking at himself; an attitude dating back as far as 2008 if time stamps are to be believed. Yeah, that's guaranteed to go well.

It could be argued this post is pointless and might ignite a flamewar, but I find it distasteful to allude at problems supposedly coming from other people, knowing at least some of these people are unlikely to defend themselves here and most Doomworld readers won't be able to make an opinion for themselves reading the french boards.

kmxexii said:

This is sad. I was kind of following NT's development since I happened across its info and the concept seemed sound. It would be great if someone picked up the lead (coming from a selfish viewpoint of wanting to play all the cool stuff you guys had made up)

I share this "selfish viewpoint" as well. It was my most anticipated megawad with Back to Saturn X.

Phml said:

The subforum dedicated to this project just screams failure in leadership. A project leader that insults the entire community, deletes important info, changes stuff on a whim and is generally quick to lash out at others for their supposed shortcomings while never looking at himself; an attitude dating back as far as 2008 if time stamps are to be believed. Yeah, that's guaranteed to go well.

It could be argued this post is pointless and might ignite a flamewar, but I find it distasteful to allude at problems supposedly coming from other people, knowing at least some of these people are unlikely to defend themselves here and most Doomworld readers won't be able to make an opinion for themselves reading the french boards.

I have never seen such a low trolling attempt. You sure know everything about the boards, how it was started, what happened aside the forums, what ideas were accepted and scraped, in fact I didn't know you where the project leader! Why didn't you finish it then? Too bad, it holds a great potential.

Your post won't start a flamewar. I have accepted my mistakes already, and know them well, but I'm not the only one to blame about it.

Indeed, I don't know anything about what goes on behind the scenes, and have to judge from the public material available, in which the only person acting foolishly is you.

So as a bystander, who do you think I am likely to believe? The crazy ranting guy who's seemingly emotionally unstable, or other folks who express themselves civilly (and that's an understatement, it's impressive how level-headed people were considering the amount of crap you flung at them)?

You are responsible for your team as a leader, and you are responsible for your public image as an individual. Your apparent inability to accept either of these things makes any claim coming out of your mouth all the more dubious. Flipping out at your team, at me or at anyone else won't change any of that.

Phml said:

So as a bystander, who do you think I am likely to believe? The crazy ranting guy who's seemingly emotionally unstable, or other folks who express themselves civilly (and that's an understatement, it's impressive how level-headed people were considering the amount of crap you flung at them)?

While I have respect for you, I don't point fingers when it comes to developing megawads because I can say from personal experience that trying to develop these kinds of ambitious projects has that effect on people. :P

At this point I think this argument will only pore salt on the wounds of a project that's already down.

sad indeed. maybe that's worth finishing as a community project, with permission of the original authors. i quite like that greenish theme.

I've been looking forward to this WAD's release for a while. I'm sorry you couldn't complete it like you wanted, but I'm glad you released some finished maps. I would suggest taking the unfinished maps out, though, especially since on is right in the middle of the episode. Maybe put those at the end as secret levels or something?

I'll check this out when I get a chance and let you know what's what with it.

Well, given the latest developments (here, if you know a bit of french), I guess it's dead for good in case you had small hopes like me.

Oxyde, is it ok if I try to relaunch the project this fall/winter with your maps? I'd really like to make it a complete megawad. It was one I waited for years.

PS: I ask here because it's a different community where you'd be more relaxed given the absence of tension between you and members here.

Oxyde said (on the french forums, I used google translate):
Well, given the latest developments But fuck you Wilou, deep well my friend. Your opinion I shine asparagus. If you're too stupid, bin will die in the maze of your shitty forum. This community is doomed to failure from the start, it's not fail to say, but you want to understand anything. Be, remains a big con all your life if you feel like it I do not care.
This forum is a community of autistic, severely retarded and guys who do not understand anything.
Ciao shitty band.

Sorry Oxyde, but unless you have some explanation for this, I just lost my respect for you. Calling people "autistic" and "severely retarded" just makes you look like an ass.

Oh wow, google translate really sucks even if you get the idea. I could make a proper translation but it won't help the discussion anyway and would only pore salt on the wounds as DeathevokatioN said.

K!r4 said:

Oxyde, is it ok if I try to relaunch the project this fall/winter with your maps? I'd really like to make it a complete megawad. It was one I waited for years.

I highly approve. This wad has so much potential we need to finish it, and get wilou to put his maps back in.

Wow... this is kind of lame. I had just popped open Doombuilder to work on the map with Deathev/Valk, too. This really exposes a major flaw in the modern era of community-megawad production (one of which I'm super-guilty). Without some sort of deadline to force closure on a project, people will spend an insane amount of time working on maps to try and get them perfect. This probably has to do with the fact that mapping is a side-hobby for a lot of people, and they can only dedicate so much time to it. CC4 is a shining example of this, but things came together in the end.

Also, I need to get back to checking Wads & Mods daily like I used to, because holy crap, I'm missing out some news.

Snakes said:

This really exposes a major flaw in the modern era of community-megawad production (one of which I'm super-guilty). Without some sort of deadline to force closure on a project, people will spend an insane amount of time working on maps to try and get them perfect. This probably has to do with the fact that mapping is a side-hobby for a lot of people, and they can only dedicate so much time to it. CC4 is a shining example of this, but things came together in the end.

A shining example, indeed... except even when there were submission deadlines, including near the start of the project (in 2008), the map roster still didn't get finished. It was only when Phobus began a map drive last year and I imposed a submission deadline that time that we finally got a full megawad. I think something about the series' reputation caused an extreme drive for perfection on behalf of the designers, and that was why everybody took way too long to work on their maps in spite of my efforts.

Either way, it's a shame that this WAD didn't get finished, and it took longer to work on. I'll take a look at that beta later, but let me say that I hope it does get a revival in some form.

The Green Herring said:

It was only when Phobus began a map drive last year and I imposed a submission deadline that time that we finally got a full megawad. I think something about the series' reputation caused an extreme drive for perfection on behalf of the designers, and that was why everybody took way too long to work on their maps in spite of my efforts.

Is Community Chest 4 done and released, then?

fullmetalvaran33 said:

Is Community Chest 4 done and released, then?

You can track its compilation progress at this thread, which will update much more often once my school semester ends on Wednesday.

But let's stay on topic, shall we?

Bleh, another one bites the dust. And I've been seeing new and new Doomworlders entering there recently (Deathevokation), and now someone decides to put a cancel on them? Your opinion I shine asparagus, man!

K!r4 said:

Well, given the latest developments (here, if you know a bit of french), I guess it's dead for good in case you had small hopes like me.

PS: I ask here because it's a different community where you'd be more relaxed given the absence of tension between you and members here.

You are more than welcome to do so.

Thanks then Oxyde.

Guys, don't throw your maps away. Keep them, polish them if you want to. I'll set a thread up this fall or winter (more probably) and will continue the project.

If someone motivated and having contributed to the project before want to do it right now, he is welcome because he'd be more legitimate than me.

The main advantage of having me as a team leader is that I am one of the few members (with Wilou and JCD) who can coordinate the teams both in Doomworld and the CFD because of my relative ease with english. Plus I think people at the CFD have burned a lot with this project. Few months of rest won't be that bad for them, making sure we can restart without the recent tensions and with new deadlines.