Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Harmata

Pits and saves, a dilemma.

Should a player jump down the pits, of bridges, to explore, if at the same time, he wants to play game/level without quick saving? As we know, secrets and items are often hidden in various pits or places that are reachable only through pools of suspicious liquids. If player is playing without quick saves, dieing would mean to begin the level from start, but pussy out-ing might leave player without a secret or item, which are game content. There is no such question when quick saving is used, but as a lot of people know, saves are the ultimate weapon of game pwnage.

Have you ever thought about this as a level designer?

Have you ever thought about this as a level designer?

Yes, and this is one of the reason I believe making unescapable pits is a bad design choice. A damaging floor, possibly coupled with an unconvenient way to get back up, is punishing enough (and with consistency and good mapping, a player should be able to predict how much damage he's going to take from a particular liquid before he has to step in a big pool of it - i.e. with an optional but close to ground level one earlier on), and secrets in any place that involve taking damage to reach should be obvious in some way if you ask me.

If someone needs saves to get through the map because they picked a difficulty too hard for them, whatever, but if someone needs saves to *understand* the map, that's a problem. Doesn't mean the map is garbage-bin worthy, but it's definitely something that can be improved on.

You should at least provide a lift or a teleporter that allows a player to escape a non secret pit. That way they ARE punished for falling in, but AREN'T afraid to check for secrets.