Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

*watches*

The intended method never even occurred to me and leaves me baffled by your claim to hate timing puzzles :)

Hey! Mainly for my own enjoyment I made a 16:9 version of the NEIS statusbar, with level stats. Maybe someone can have fun with it! I have several of these statusbar edits on the Zdoom forum, would it be ok to post this one with the others, assuming I gave proper credit?

I'm a little confused what I have to start with. In .txt file of the latest version, I'm not sure if the statement of this WAD being vanilla-compatible (while E4 is limit-removing) contradicts with this one:

Some very minor effects are Boom-compat, and an exit to a super-secret map (E4M0) has been added if playing in ZDoom or Eternity.

I'd like to play this in most vanilla-accurate way as possible while I don't want to miss anything. What actually are these Boom-compat. effects? Can the one of the extra maps, E1M0, be accessed using Chocolate Doom?

1 hour ago, Michael92 said:

I'm a little confused what I have to start with. In .txt file of the latest version, I'm not sure if the statement of this WAD being vanilla-compatible (while E4 is limit-removing) contradicts with this one:

I'd like to play this in most vanilla-accurate way as possible while I don't want to miss anything. What actually are these Boom-compat. effects? Can the one of the extra maps, E1M0, be accessed using Chocolate Doom?

Play through episode 1 through 3 with your favorite vanilla engine. Only e1m0 is inaccessible unless you warp there via a ZDoom or Eternity-based port. Play episode 4 with your favorite limit-removing port, unless you want to be able to find the secret exit on e4m6 (to e4m0). If so you need to use ZDoom or Eternity-based ports. If you don't want to use a ZDoom or Eternity-based port for e4, only use one of those ports to warp to e4m0 and e1m0. 

1 hour ago, Soldier993 said:

E2M2 with Chocolate DooM crashes, making it impossible to progress. It crashes after entering red door.

Darn. Thanks for letting us know.

2 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Np. Would love to play this wad with Chocolate Doom. (besides 4th episode) Lovely maps.

16 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Did you update the file? I possibly downloaded NEIS.wad from somewhere long time ago, I don't remember.

Now I downloaded from the link on the first page of this thread & it seems the issue is fixed.

So far, at least.

EDIT: No, it still crashes on later level.

Edited by Soldier993

Quick question: What's different in version 1.3 which got released on 6/10/17 according to the text file?

5 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Quick question: What's different in version 1.3 which got released on 6/10/17 according to the text file?

I don't even remember at this point except that the final map instantly kills all the non-teleported in monsters when you blow up the hole instead of once you exit the area. There was maybe a bug fix or two too. And balance changes.

12 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I didn't realize there was an update! That's the problem with checking the /newstuff directory at gamers.org. Updates to existing wads don't always go to /newstuff, sometimes they go straight to the (in this case) doom/Ports/megawads/ directory.

A quick comparison shows changes to the following maps:

E1M3, E1M4, E2M2, E2M5, E2M7, E3M5, E3M7, E4M2, E4M4, E4M6, E4M8

Will the fourth episode run fine with a limit-raising port/executable (i.e. Ultimate-Doom+)? If that's the case I will play it under a custom build of Chocolate Doom.

Thanks

5 hours ago, vesperas said:

Will the fourth episode run fine with a limit-raising port/executable (i.e. Ultimate-Doom+)? If that's the case I will play it under a custom build of Chocolate Doom.

Thanks

E4M7 might have a bug in that situation. See the text file.

1 hour ago, NaturalTvventy said:

E4M7 might have a bug in that situation. See the text file.

The README talks about "limit-removing" ports, while I asked about "limit-raising" ports/exes :)
I guess I'll need to try it out by myself to get the definitive answer...

Thanks

Yeah, E4M7 has a broken line action in vanilla and close variants that blocks progression. Certain line specials in vanilla don't work correctly at really low sector heights (-512 i think), and that area is sitting at around -1024 units or so.

This is one of those weird things that worked in an earlier version of the map, but a change happened somewhere after we decided "cark it, E4 is limit-removing" -- or perhaps the trap was added afterwards. I 'unno. :P

A v1.4 might end up being a good idea, between this, E2M4's co-op bug, and the fact the v1.3 release is missing the vanilla NEIS.deh. O_O

tl;dr: it oughta work in limit-raising ports sans E4M7 -- for now.

I would like to report a max-breaking bug on e2m6: Sector 19, which leads to the secret with the blue armour by the Sergeants is unobtainable. Linedef 1922 has an action 221 associated with it, which doesn't do anything. I assume it was meant to be 21 instead.

13 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I would like to report a max-breaking bug on e2m6: Sector 19, which leads to the secret with the blue armour by the Sergeants is unobtainable. Linedef 1922 has an action 221 associated with it, which doesn't do anything. I assume it was meant to be 21 instead.

Well darn. It works in ZDoom but I see it’s described as an unknown action type in GZDoomBuilder. Thanks for pointing this out. 

Welp! Bugs Happen(tm). Thanks for the report!

Since @NaturalTvventy is here: I've got a work-in-progress NEIS.wad update with a bugfixed E4M7, E2M4, and some text screen typo fixes. I suppose a v1.4 is in order, then? :P

[EDIT] Fixed the E2M6 issue. A literal one-liner. :P

On E1M3 right now, and holy shit that was a lot of enemies at the start. Played ring around the rosie with a ton of them too.

Screenshot_Doom_20180201_232301.png

I also noticed an issue in e2m9: When you jump out the window and the dirt floor lowers to become damaging blood, most of it doesn't change in the current version. See below:

0C235C639D1E3344998DB83E217C319BEE3899F5

8 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I also noticed an issue in e2m9: When you jump out the window and the dirt floor lowers to become damaging blood, most of it doesn't change in the current version. See below:

Danget, I thought we fixed that. Maybe @Xaser we should wait until @Spectre01 stops playing NEIS before releasing 1.4 ;)

Heh, yeah, I'll hold off a bit on pulling the release trigger. That'll give me some time to do a thing anyway.

7 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

wait until @Spectre01 stops playing NEIS before releasing 1.4 ;)

I was actually thinking of pausing my playthrough until 1.4, since my goal for it was to (casually) UV-Max all the maps. :X

Also, do some areas require you to crouch? Because I couldn't find any extra switches in MAP03 to lower the floor leading to that one wire walled room with the two pinky demons in it.

4 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Also, do some areas require you to crouch? Because I couldn't find any extra switches in MAP03 to lower the floor leading to that one wire walled room with the two pinky demons in it.

All maps are vanilla compatible, so no jumping/crouching. If you can’t figure out a secret there’s some resources out there that reveal solutions. Someone was kind enough to go through the laborious effort of listing all secret solutions in the Doom wiki for NEIS. Also, in my original post on this thread there is a link to a zip containing 100% secret lmps.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

On E1M7, so far I've found all the secrets in every map so far. May or may not have used jumping and crouching before realizing they weren't actually required. Did every secret after E1M3 normally though.