Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

As a for-the-record, I haven't forgotten about the v1.4 bugfixing yet. I'm playing through the whole wad to see if there's anything missing (up to E3 right now).

I've confirmed the E2M9 bug and found a tutti frutti linedef in E2M4, but otherwise haven't run into any issues. Somehow. :P

@Xaser Not really bugs, but I have a few comments about e2m3: The computer map secret in one of the slime pits is very easy to skip over without triggering it. I assume this would be a bigger problem for somebody trying to play the map fast, since I've had to stop after grabbing the map and make sure the secret got tagged. I also feel like the Rocket Launcher is very late into the map and would be really nice to have for the mini Cacoswarm earlier on. Also, the majority of the rocket ammo seems to be on the way to the exit, which makes it basically useless within the scope of the map. Maybe I'm just playing the map wrong or something. :P

On E2M6 right now, and I literally cannot find the last secret at all whatsoever. I've gone through every inch of the map and so far I only have 6/7 secrets found.

It's probably this bug:

On 2/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, Spectre01 said:

I would like to report a max-breaking bug on e2m6: Sector 19, which leads to the secret with the blue armour by the Sergeants is unobtainable. Linedef 1922 has an action 221 associated with it, which doesn't do anything. I assume it was meant to be 21 instead.

This'll be fixed in the next release, but I still haven't finished my current round of testing (got other obligations to wrap up as well).

Hi, Doomworld newbie here. I think No End In Sight is pretty much flawless, but playing through Episode 4 again I did notice one thing that has always bothered me. Fair warning: this is a *beyond* trivial nitpick. In E4M3 (Square Zero), the little chambers off to the side of the main map have a clipping error where you can sometimes see blips of the sky behind them. If you clip into them and then turn clipping back off, you'll notice that the walls to the left and right are solid, but the back wall can be breached and you can see the entire sky texture through it just by walking forward. I assume making it a hard texture would fix the problem (?). Forgive my layman way of describing this, I'm not a Doom mapper myself.

The same error appears for me in zDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum and Chocolate Doom. I assume it's an easy fix, but I also assume this project is done, done, DONE!

Good work, by the way. Along with Hellbound, this has some of my favorite Hell-ish levels of any megawad. I still love those old Doom 1 textures. Episode 3 is my favorite one in No End In Sight (E3M5-E3M7 are standouts).

Thanks for the very kind words and error reporting @Mr. Duk! Indeed, NEIS is done, done, DONE!, regardless of what issues may still exist. Art is never finished, only abandoned - Leonardo da Vinci.

Thanks again for the compliments. They still mean a lot though some time has passed.

13 minutes ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Indeed, NEIS is done, done, DONE!, regardless of what issues may still exist. Art is never finished, only abandoned - Leonardo da Vinci.

Thank god. The thought of tracking down old copies on multiplayer wadhosts so that everyone is using the proper version makes me wanna hyperventilate

47 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Was the unobtainable secret in e2m6 ever fixed?

Definitely maybe (I fixed it at some point, but can't remember if a new version was released after that).

These were some of the best ultimate doom episodes I have played. I enjoyed every bit of it, but the e1m0 Tom's Halls map, that one was not my cup of tea.

Thank you for making it and keep mapping :-]

Oh oh ok, since this was resurrected, I'm gonna take advantage of it >:D

Has the bug in E4M7 been fixed?. If my memory doesn't fail me, there's this big Xasercular room with spectres that are supposed to pop up from the floor, but they don't at least in Crispy Doom. And I would like to replay the wad with the problem that many keys from my keyboard aren't working, so it's impossible for me to type idclip (using keyboard on screen isn't a solution unfortunately) and cheat through that. 

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Oh oh ok, since this was resurrected, I'm gonna take advantage of it >:D

Has the bug in E4M7 been fixed?. If my memory doesn't fail me, there's this big Xasercular room with spectres that are supposed to pop up from the floor, but they don't at least in Crispy Doom. And I would like to replay the wad with the problem that many keys from my keyboard aren't working, so it's impossible for me to type idclip (using keyboard on screen isn't a solution unfortunately) and cheat through that. 

You’re SOL my friend. Barring a Christmas miracle that bug shall remain eternal. My apologies.

Did we never release an update? I've got a bugfixed wad on my HDD somewhere, in that case. I'd rather not leave a map-breaker in there.

I'm paging through the wad and it looks like everything reported in the thread so far is fixed -- E2M6 included. Yeah, we'd probably better upload this. :P

Look ma, I'm a Christmas!

Uploaded -- whew, glad that's all taken care of... one and a half years later. :P

10 hours ago, Xaser said:

Look ma, I'm a Christmas!

Uploaded -- whew, glad that's all taken care of... one and a half years later. :P

Thanks Xaser. Good to know NEIS is complete with .deh and no known major bugs.

I'd say more semi-canon in that its recognised by an official release, but still, given its the third pwad to get the honour, its still neat!

For those unaware,

https://twitter.com/XaserAcheron/status/1245049705362526209

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/388434/doom-doom-ii-patch-notes?language=en%253Futm_source%253DCommunity

"Dear DOOMers,

A new update is available for DOOM & DOOM II on all platforms that includes audio improvements, QOL features and minor performance optimization. No End In Sight, with over 30 levels, is the latest to join our awesome line up of free Add-ons in DOOM."

Congrats @NaturalTvventy, @Xaser, and @Lutz! Very cool to see Bethesda spotlighting the classic doom scene!

If they keep doing this, I guess I really am gonna have to pick up a switch...

Thanks, y'all! Still kinda surreal this has all happened, but hey, here it is! :D

And nah, not "canon". "Featured", I guess?

I already have the WAD file, but do I have to redownload a newer version? Dumb question, sure, but I need to know. 

Congratulations guys! Sad to see e4m6 not make the cut due to engine limitations, as that map is brilliant!