Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

Being recognized by iD (Bethesda/Slayers Club) through this is perhaps a greater achievement than winning a Cacoward.

Imagine achieving both.

A great celebration is in order, gents! Worthy, this pack is!

13 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Being recognized by iD (Bethesda/Slayers Club) through this is perhaps a greater achievement than winning a Cacoward.

Given the WAD limitations of getting included as an addon, that's not really a fair comparison.

2 hours ago, Horus said:

Given the WAD limitations of getting included as an addon, that's not really a fair comparison.

It was a lighthearted comment which you chose to take heavily, unfortunately.

Considering it it's being "featured" on equal grounds as No Rest for the Living, TNT Evilution, and Final DOOM, that makes it canon in my eyes.

11 hours ago, Wario64 said:

Considering it it's being "featured" on equal grounds as No Rest for the Living, TNT Evilution, and Final DOOM, that makes it canon in my eyes.

Hey, every wads within reason are canon now :P

Figured I'd ask, are the M0 levels playable in PrBoom+ without having to extract them from the wad?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer in this thread, guess I should have looked harder. The answer is no, if you're wondering.

Played through the whole Episode 1 now and I loved it! Great old school atmosphere and nice level design!

I wonder if jumping is allowed/necessary? In E1M1 I found no other way to the outside than jumping through the window, where in a later level jumping out the window would leave you stuck outside with no possibility to get back in (except a rocket jump through the window).

Sorry if I missed that information somewhere.

2 hours ago, Loomis said:

Played through the whole Episode 1 now and I loved it! Great old school atmosphere and nice level design!

I wonder if jumping is allowed/necessary? In E1M1 I found no other way to the outside than jumping through the window, where in a later level jumping out the window would leave you stuck outside with no possibility to get back in (except a rocket jump through the window).

Sorry if I missed that information somewhere.

No jumping!! Glad you enjoyed it. Always makes my day to hear such things. There’s 100% secret demos and YouTube vids out there.

Thanks, now I saw how that E1M1 secret worked and managed to get it. Tricky, but cool!

Sooo what's the texture set used in this? From what I'm seeing, it's like 70% Doom 1 textures, 20% Doom 2 and 10% some new, custom ones. It really supports and complements the Ultimate Doom theme, though - like a natural extension. Not to mention the gameplay, damn was E1 good and memorable for instance. This is like a better DTWiD. Would really like to see something like this for Doom 2 too (D2 in name only doesn't really count) :D

Thanks @Xfing! I think it’s 99% textures from DOOM or DOOM alphas for the first 3 episodes. That’s why the new stuff blends so well - it’s stuff that could have been in the original game. Episode 4 adds stuff from DOOM II and Final DOOM. Stay tuned, Xaser and I are currently working on a definitive Unused Resources pack. I’m glad you enjoyed e1!

1 minute ago, NaturalTvventy said:

Thanks @Xfing! I think it’s 99% textures from DOOM or DOOM alphas for the first 3 episodes. That’s why the new stuff blends so well - it’s stuff that could have been in the original game. Episode 4 adds stuff from DOOM II and Final DOOM. Stay tuned, Xaser and I are currently working on a definitive Unused Resources pack. I’m glad you enjoyed e1!

Thought as much - I did see some textures that were interactive, while they were never so in the released game, mostly talking about switches here. So yeah, all those new-old textures are actually from the alpha.. amazing! Once that unreleased resources pack is done, maybe I'll finally try my hand at making a level or something. For me the 1994 vibe still can't be beat, even seeing all the amazing texture sets used by more modern WADs.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:39 AM, NaturalTvventy said:

BTW, will you be throwing in the various liquid falls textures into the pack? I think Plutonia only did water, but fans have also made lava and brown water as well and I guess it'd be cool to have them in one place instead of having to scrounge for them in various fan packs :(

10 hours ago, Xfing said:

BTW, will you be throwing in the various liquid falls textures into the pack? I think Plutonia only did water, but fans have also made lava and brown water as well and I guess it'd be cool to have them in one place instead of having to scrounge for them in various fan packs :(

There's some rough stuff which will be included.

f1_lbm.png.9d3ffd6e58040db61fedc037f580e029.pngsfall_lbm.png.11f997f10678d03f0e1157efaf5a7c4b.pngwater_lbm.png.ef70caf9c1ce697bac3511beff0ba68a.pngwfall_lbm.png.25ed93aab0f512ecf16daf757770874c.png

There's all the missing DOOM liquids available in the Nightmare Animations texture pack.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

1 hour ago, JasonDW said:

Any way to access E1M0/E4M0 in Unity ports?

If I’m not mistaken, E4M0 actually replaces E4M6 in the Unity port. I don’t know if you can access E1M0 or not.

E1M0 is excluded (it's basically an outtake of questionable quality), and E4M0 is present where E4M6 would normally go. Unfortunately, E4M6 is incompatible with the Unity port 'cause of extremely tall sectors, which unfortunately wasn't fixable without completely gutting the map, so it was excluded from the maplist as well.

Fortunately though, the version of the wad you can download from Bethesda.net does still have E1M0 and E4M6 in the wad, so you can still play 'em with source ports. Though if you're reading this, you probably know where to find the /idgames release anyway. :P

On 5/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, Xaser said:

E1M0 is excluded (it's basically an outtake of questionable quality), and E4M0 is present where E4M6 would normally go. Unfortunately, E4M6 is incompatible with the Unity port 'cause of extremely tall sectors, which unfortunately wasn't fixable without completely gutting the map, so it was excluded from the maplist as well.

Fortunately though, the version of the wad you can download from Bethesda.net does still have E1M0 and E4M6 in the wad, so you can still play 'em with source ports. Though if you're reading this, you probably know where to find the /idgames release anyway. :P

Thanks for clarifying! I'll check the missing maps out on GZDoom soon. Very impressed with the map design!

E4M7 on the switch unity port has a gamebreaking bug, I triggered it and quicksaved at the same time so it pretty much ruined that particular save, seeing as there's no noclip cheat.

NEIS is great but it feels bad losing progress like that.

I'm playing through the Top 100 Most Memorable Maps list in reverse order, and just got to #93, "Underworld Citadel" (E3M7), and fell down the rabbit hole that is the whole separate secret area. It looked very different and kinda distinctly 1990s-ish to me so I did some digging and sure enough it's from E1M1 and E2M4 of The Beginning of the End, Tvventy's first WAD from 1997. Just wanted to register my intense appreciation for this kind of callback here. Excellent work on this set, folks.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

I'm playing through the Top 100 Most Memorable Maps list in reverse order, and just got to #93, "Underworld Citadel" (E3M7), and fell down the rabbit hole that is the whole separate secret area. It looked very different and kinda distinctly 1990s-ish to me so I did some digging and sure enough it's from E1M1 and E2M4 of The Beginning of the End, Tvventy's first WAD from 1997. Just wanted to register my intense appreciation for this kind of callback here. Excellent work on this set, folks.

Awesome! Yes it's my own version of DOOM II's map 31. I'm glad you found it! It's so cool that you figured out its source.

I finally got around to play this and I like it so far, I'm up to E2M6. Very clever and inspiring at times, in particular the secrets (and how there are 1-time things that you can miss) and the usage of keys. On E2M5 I managed to find a way to make the exit area inaccessible: after picking the secret BK I went back to the blue door without pressing the switch for the shortcut (linedef 2382) and without having been at computer map secret so after the nukage lowers and turns into blood you can't go back to the where the exits are. Is something a bit contrived yeah :P but I felt to report it anyway even if at looking by your previous comments, and I can understand it, you don't want anymore to update the wad on idgames.

3 hours ago, gaspe said:

I finally got around to play this and I like it so far, I'm up to E2M6. Very clever and inspiring at times, in particular the secrets (and how there are 1-time things that you can miss) and the usage of keys. On E2M5 I managed to find a way to make the exit area inaccessible: after picking the secret BK I went back to the blue door without pressing the switch for the shortcut (linedef 2382) and without having been at computer map secret so after the nukage lowers and turns into blood you can't go back to the where the exits are. Is something a bit contrived yeah :P but I felt to report it anyway even if at looking by your previous comments, and I can understand it, you don't want anymore to update the wad on idgames.

Ah shoot, I see what you mean. Fixable, but it's probably just going to have to be a known error. I'm not sure it's worth a full new release. Great catch though, thank you!

Edited by NaturalTvventy

Not sure how this happened but in E3M7 I ended up on top of this rising floor with no way to bring it down. Annoyingly enough interacting with it from the only accessible side won't bring it down, while interacting from any of the other three (noclipped to try) does. I'm aware I'm supposed to go straight as there are monsters there, and left and right sides are blocked off by a pillar. It's possible that I have opened this door and instead of going all the way across I returned and did something which have risen the floor. I vaguely remember walking the bottom of it, perhaps did a full circle.

8 hours ago, eqagunn said:

Not sure how this happened but in E3M7 I ended up on top of this rising floor with no way to bring it down.

The floor is perpetually up once you have entered the exit section, because IIRC you're meant to leave this room for last if what you want is to access the secret exit, and if you haven't figured the alternative route before then it will be sealed off and you'll have to either restart the map or take the normal exit. Moreover, once you found the exit there's no way back... but maybe NT can confirm this...

15 hours ago, eqagunn said:

Not sure how this happened but in E3M7 I ended up on top of this rising floor with no way to bring it down.

I had to do some practice on E3M7 before uvmax'ing it. Success is heavily based on taking a specific route or you may cross trigger lines that block parts of the map with items, secrets and monsters. You also can't return to certain parts of the map and have to get it done right the first time. The doom wiki warns of this. I watched a couple of DSDA demos to learn a successful path and then used it to the letter. Very confusing map, there are locations with items you can see but never pick up. In short, the map is not exploration or mistake friendly for the uvmax'er. It is however possible to get maximum kills, items and secrets if you use the correct path with no mistakes.

NEIS was a great experience for me, I hope you are enjoying it. You've got some awesome maps coming up in episode 4. Enjoy.

10 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

you'll have to either restart the map or take the normal exit.

I think even normal exit was unreachable. Had to replay the map but figured it out. This room was the culprit.

2 hours ago, tmorrow said:

NEIS was a great experience for me, I hope you are enjoying it. You've got some awesome maps coming up in episode 4. Enjoy.

Thanks. I would describe it as classical and complex. Some levels in this episode took me an hour to beat. My only complaint so far is being fooled into skipping E3M5 and E3M6. That was not cool. :D Who would have assumed finding a secret exit is a bad thing.

Edited by eqagunn