Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

5 hours ago, eqagunn said:

Thanks. I would describe it as classical and complex. Some levels in this episode took me an hour to beat. My only complaint so far is being fooled into skipping E3M5 and E3M6. That was not cool. :D Who would have assumed finding a secret exit is a bad thing.

iirc, the regular exit is the one that takes you to E3M9, while the more hidden exit takes you to M5 and M6, treating the pair of them as secret maps. Either way you miss at least one map, though.

4 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

iirc, the regular exit is the one that takes you to E3M9, while the more hidden exit takes you to M5 and M6, treating the pair of them as secret maps. Either way you miss at least one map, though.

Or it can be interrupted in such a way that Emil and Xaser strongly recommend us not to visit E3M5 and E3M6 while there is still an opportunity to avoid this visit...

10 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Completing E3M6 always takes you to E3M9, so its entirely possible to complete all 9 maps.

The Doom Wiki should be updated to reflect that Lake of Fire is in fact, not a secret level

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

The Doom Wiki should be updated to reflect that Lake of Fire is in fact, not a secret level

This confuses me. My understanding is that E3M9 is the episode 3 secret map. Playing continuously in NEIS, it can be accessed from E3M4, E3M5 or E3M6.

E3M4 and E3M5 have both a normal and secret exit while E3M6 has only one exit, the secret exit.

In continuous play, taking the E3M9 exit from E3M4 will result in missing out on both E3M5 and E3M6 while taking the E3M9 exit from E3M5 will result in missing out on E3M6. Thus to play all maps in continuous play, you want to take the normal exits on all maps but E3M6 and the only exit you can take on E3M6, the secret exit. In short: E3M1-6 -> E3M9 -> E3M7-8.

The definition of normal and secret exit I'm using comes from how map editors refer to them and not whether the exits are well hidden or in plain view. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

M5 and M6 are secret maps; M9 is a normal map. The wiki descriptions are backwards from what they ought to be, IMO, and just confuse the situation further.

7 hours ago, tmorrow said:

E3M4 and E3M5 have both a normal and secret exit while E3M6 has only one exit, the secret exit.

Yeah. Exit to M9 is defined as secret exit in all 3 maps, even in M6 while being the only exit available.

9 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Wiki is probably trying to be true to how its defined in the map editor. Although exits to M5 and M5 are better hidden, even by finding them first the player will assume he found the normal exit and continue to look for the other one. Well, at least that was exactly what happened to me in M4.

1 hour ago, Xaser said:

M5 and M6 are secret maps; M9 is a normal map. The wiki descriptions are backwards from what they ought to be, IMO, and just confuse the situation further.

Not only M5 and M6 are defined as normal, but also set in the middle of the episode. If instead they were put to the end of the episode and M9 was after M4 the order of maps would be more common. And if the player doesn't find the intended secret exit it wouldn't be immediately noticeable that two maps were skipped.

35 minutes ago, eqagunn said:

Not only M5 and M6 are defined as normal, but also set in the middle of the episode. If instead they were put to the end of the episode and M9 was after M4 the order of maps would be more common. And if the player doesn't find the intended secret exit it wouldn't be immediately noticeable that two maps were skipped.

It's a vanilla mapset. Any other map order would not have been possible. You'll just have to use your imagination.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

It's a vanilla mapset. Any other map order would not have been possible. You'll just have to use your imagination.

This. It isn't possible to change the map order in vanilla/limit-removing base ports, so we used the tools that were available.

It's an unusual technique (I'm not aware of any other vanilla/limrem mapset offhand that does this), so I understand if folks don't understand what's going on at first, but there isn't any room for debate here: M5 and M6 are secret, M9 is normal, end of story. Use your brain cells, folks.

[EDIT] Updated the wiki -- been meaning to do this for a while anyway, so that's good at least.

Edited by Xaser

The confusion in my case is just over semantics of what defines a "secret map". It's clear what order to play the maps in if you want to play all maps. Thanks for the clarification.

Just posting to say this is definitively my favorite wad ever. The most Doomy fan made mapset ever.

Perhaps biased because lol I made the statbar for this. Yaaaay. Had the opportunity to make a map for this too, but my life was not in a good place back then, so apologies to Natural_tvventy for never getting much done in that regard.

Also holy crap, this thread is more than ten years old??? How does that even happen??? 

53 minutes ago, Kyka said:

this is definitively my favorite wad ever

This is one of my favorite ultimate doom wads too, the most memorable maps for me being the outrageous masterpieces E3M6 and E4M6.

3 hours ago, Kyka said:

Just posting to say this is definitively my favorite wad ever. The most Doomy fan made mapset ever.

2 hours ago, tmorrow said:

This is one of my favorite ultimate doom wads too, the most memorable maps for me being the outrageous masterpieces E3M6 and E4M6.

NEIS fans unite! :D 

Weirdly enough, I only discovered this WAD this year (I had heard about it before, but never gave it a go) and after 2 full playthroughs there was absolutely no doubt about it, it became my favorite WAD ever. As @Kyka very well put it, it's gotta be the "doomiest" mapset ever made. The love and thought put into every level is just incredible. 

Where to begin @Devalaous! What an amazing post. It's both thrilling and humbling to find someone enjoyed our work so much as to express his experience in such detail. I thank you with the deepest of sincerity. I'm quite proud of NEIS of course, and feel incredibly lucky to have worked with @Xaser and @Lutz. @Kyka, "The most Doomy fan made mapset ever" is epic praise for a culturally definitive game which has since spawned near-endless fan made content. 

Rumors of my distaste for DOOM II are greatly exaggerated. Since NEIS I've made content exclusively for DOOM II, though due to my general dissatisfaction with the SSG's OP and clunky nature I have focused on ZDoom maps which incorporate new weapons in an attempt to balance things out. The cryptic secrets have also been toned down, for better or for worse.

I'm not sure Chris, Xaser and I will wind up teaming up again any time soon, as I've got my own projects in the works, and we all seem quite happy doing on our own thing these days. I'll even admit that I'm intimidated at the thought of going through the whole NEIS experience again. As amazing an experience as it was, I'm left wondering if I could ever be dedicated enough to make a new megawad matching anything near what NEIS is. Still, it would be a bit of a tragedy to not at least give it a try some day... if I can rally the troops!

Thank you again Devalaous for your praise of NEIS!

Edited by NaturalTvventy

doom 2 sequel when

we've all noticed the screenshots you've been posting over the past few years ;)

Ive hassled you in a few mentions enough recently to warrant a proper review of it, I think. Hopefully I wasn't too harsh on any of the maps. Not quite exaggerating on my love for the overall mapset either, part of the reason it took so long to beat the full 38 maps was because I just didn't want to run out of maps. The only other mapset ive enjoyed as much in the last year or so was ALT for Doom 2.

While I was away from Doomworld, whenever I played a map that really wowed me or otherwise exceeded my expectations, I often wanted to thank the creators for their work, let them know that the work they put in was appreciated, especially after I made content on my own for different games and ended up making someones day. Figured I'd try my hand at a thanks post :p

(I have actually played a few of those Doom 2 maps of yours, notably the one with the chainsaw zombies and the alpha rifle. The SSG was super-ultra hidden on that map, and now I know why)

21 hours ago, Devalaous said:
  • E4M1: Welcome to No Backpack In Sight.

LOL YES! that's sooo meaaaan. But it's actually one of the things I love about this wad, it's part of its uniqueness. It's mean, but in a sort of cool way.

• E2M2: The crazy secrets that weren't secrets were also a great thing to find

YES! It is as if the map were actually making the player prove his worth as a player by finding these "practice" secrets (hence "proving grounds", heh). The FIREBLU fake-secret panel that scrolls "infinitely" upwards is my favorite! 

E4M9: The one map in this whole set that I not only dislike, but despise. Vile Cross indeed. 

That's curious, here it's the total opposite for me, this one is one of my favorites. From the point of view of the difficulty, I agree it's mean, but from the level design perspective, I think it's a great map. I really love the constant reuse of the central hub.

To sum up NEIS in one sentence: "Can't bring a shotgun to Cancun, can you?"

19 hours ago, Fernito said:

That's curious, here it's the total opposite for me, this one is one of my favorites. From the point of view of the difficulty, I agree it's mean, but from the level design perspective, I think it's a great map. I really love the constant reuse of the central hub.

I'm pretty proud of my mastermind usage. For e3m8, you can win every time if you wait for the cacos to bunch up before releasing the boss. E4m9 uses a lot of temporary cover. You have to blast when you can, but also leave time to poke in and out of cover to bait out the boss's pain-triggered counterattack before it's safe to bolt for cover elsewhere. There's ways to get through all my mastermind encounters without relying on luck.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

I had to hide behind a tiny pillar for at least one of those Masterminds and use my entire shotgun ammo on it, and then I had almost nothing left for anything else. Some of the arenas on that map had me swearing nonstop. Granted im no expert player, but yeah, that level just rubbed me the wrong way. only E4M8 and E4M9 annoyed me with Masterminds, every other level in the wad with them I found them fine.

7 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

I'm pretty proud of my mastermind usage. For e3m1, you can win every time if you wait for the cacos to bunch up before releasing the boss. E4m9 uses a lot of temporary cover. You have to blast when you can, but also leave time to poke in and out of cover to bait out the boss's pain-triggered counterattack before it's safe to bolt for cover elsewhere. There's ways to get through all my mastermind encounters without relying on luck.

I didn't have major problems with the difficulty in E4M9 tbh, as you well put it, it's mostly about using the cover you're given in a smart way and trying to take advantage of infighting as much as possible. The map is mean, but not unfair ("mean" is a good adjective in my dictionary :))

PS: I guess "e3m1" is a typo there?

15 hours ago, Fernito said:

YES! It is as if the map were actually making the player prove his worth as a player by finding these "practice" secrets (hence "proving grounds", heh). The FIREBLU fake-secret panel that scrolls "infinitely" upwards is my favorite! 

It was E2M2 that made me realise how much I was going to love playing the rest of NEIS, and these not-secrets in particular. They were just so unsettling. Really atmospheric. Inspired every corrupted techbase I've made since.

EDIT:

I think it's unsettling because it kinda works on a meta level. It challenges your notion of how this is mechanically supposed to work. There are no goodies here, just an immense spine or a demonic face staring back at you. Hell has crept in and nothing is as it seems.

39 minutes ago, LordEntr0py said:

It was E2M2 that made me realise how much I was going to love playing the rest of NEIS, and these not-secrets in particular. They were just so unsettling. Really atmospheric. Inspired every corrupted techbase I've made since.

EDIT:

I think it's unsettling because it kinda works on a meta level. It challenges your notion of how this is mechanically supposed to work. There are no goodies here, just an immense spine or a demonic face staring back at you. Hell has crept in and nothing is as it seems.

Couldn't have described it better myself :)