Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

NightFright said:

Did anyone else have problems getting the red keycard in E1M3? I know I have played this episode before, but I don't remember searching for the secret exit like crazy. I still haven't (legally) obtained the keycard until now, even though I know where it is. NaturalTv, you masochist! xD

It looks like you just have to not kill the imps that loiter inside that area. They're the only things that can trigger the panels to lower and give you access to the key once you've found the secret star teleporter (behind the green panel in the yellow key room).

Personally I'm not a fan of this kind of setup. Everyone's first inclination is to kill all the imps. It's also not clear that the red key is for the secret exit at that early point in the map. And if you do, goodbye E1M9.

As an unfair warning, the secret exits are all evil in some way or another. NT's to blame for the most egregious ones, of course. ;)

[also lol at reading the previous page's "it'll be out this year." w e l p.]

Yea, I guess I am a bit of a bastard in the secret exit department. I try to make secret exits the toughest secrets in the game. Believe it or not, there are actually 6 secret exits in this map set (5 if you don't count zdoom-compatible only), 5 of which are mine, and 4 of which you can screw up. I'll justify it by stating I often like to use the engine in weird ways (like requiring monsters to trigger lines).

As an FYI, it looks like e4m6 is pretty much broken for any port that doesn't have boom compatibility, and may even require zdoom at this point. I'll release v3.1 in the near future after I get some more feedback.

Version 3.1 is up. If you haven't started e4 yet I'd suggest you nab it before you do. e4m6 fixes; it should be compatible with all limit removing ports now.

Was it intentional to put the secret exit to E3M9 in E3M4 or was that an oversight? I must have stumbled upon the secret exit by accident. One moment I'm running for my life across crumbling bridges, the next I'm in E3M9 when I was expecting E3M5. :D

Really loving this WAD so far. If I come across anything else I'll drop a report. :)

Nems said:

Was it intentional to put the secret exit to E3M9 in E3M4 or was that an oversight? I must have stumbled upon the secret exit by accident. One moment I'm running for my life across crumbling bridges, the next I'm in E3M9 when I was expecting E3M5. :D

Really loving this WAD so far. If I come across anything else I'll drop a report. :)

Yep, kinda, sorta.

I'm jumping right in to E4, got my ass kicked a bit on skill 3 and I'm wondering are skill settings implemented? Not a criticism just curious, thanks for the colossal mapset!

E4M1 video

Episode 3 is a real ball-buster of an episode. o_O I got to E3M7 before I got lost and gave up for the time being. I'll probably pick it up again once it's out of beta. I did like what I played but E3 just took all of the wind out of me.

NaturalTvventy said:

No skill levels yet on most maps.
Thanks for playing!

That explains why I kept being raped on ITYTD (wanted to make fast progress). Maybe in beta 3.2? :P

On E3m4, the secret exit leads to E3m5 whilst the normal exit takes you to E3m9. Is that intentional? Also is E3m9 the same level as in DTWID?

EDIT: Ok, there appears to be some sort of mistake, I think. I took the regular exit in E3m4. This took me to E3m9. But once I beat E3m9, I went straight to E3m7, meaning I skipped E3m5 and E3m6.

EDIT 2: Again, I swear I've seen E3m5 before. Also, the regular exit takes me to E3m9 too. The secret exit takes me to E3m6. What on earth is going on here lol
I am playing in Zdoom btw

EDIT 3: Beat E3m6, awesome level! On this one, there seems to be one exit only and it leads to E3m9...

Vorpal said:

Some broken stuff in E4M2
chocolate-doom demo

NEIS is no longer advertised as vanilla, it's limit removing now.

To clarify, we are still intending the first 3 episodes to be vanilla, but E4 stuff is probably on the "nah" list now.

Who let the dirty speedrunner into this thread? Can't trust those bastards.

A shame about the E4M2 crash. It's nothing obvious so I'm chalking it up to the size of the map. We'll just have to call that one limit-removing as well.

E3m7, you might wanna put some radsuits here... I haven't come across a single one yet...

EDIT: How do you get the Metallica secret on E4m1? And how are you supposed to kill the cyberdemon?

EDIT 2: Somebody pls respond...

I finally made it through E3M7 and the rest of the levels and I have to say that the entire thing was an enjoyable, albeit exhausting experience. I like how there's an exploratory feel for most of the levels, especially the ones where you can end up missing at least half of the map if you're trying to rush to the exit. I usually complain and bitch about backtracking and while I did find some of that in some of the levels, it wasn't completely obscure like, say, Eternal Doom (though I love it as well despite generally not being a fan of more puzzle-like PWADS).

I'll definitely play through this again once it hits final release status. Great job to everyone involved. :D

Firedust said:

E3m7, you might wanna put some radsuits here... I haven't come across a single one yet...

I'd agree with this. I stumbled upon (or was railroaded into) the exit area with low health, and even though I still had like 40% of the map to explore, I had to exit on account of there being no way out without taking considerable damage. (Still an awesome map, though.)

I'll throw a rad suit or two at the exit to allow for a little more back tracking and exploration. I tend to be too tight about these things. I am glad you'all enjoy that map. I always worry that my large maps become an overwhelming burden.

NaturalTvventy said:

I am glad you'all enjoy that map. I always worry that my large maps become an overwhelming burden.

Highlight of the first 3 eps, easy. Everything was so incredibly memorable: the atmosphere and lighting, the massive architecture, the sheer scope. Super cool map.

I love the bigger maps in this set. It's the shorter maps that feel kinda standard here. I beat the first three episodes and pretty much liked everything apart from the first few maps of the first episode (excluding E1m3).

Soooo, since noone is gonna tell me how to get that cyberdemon secret in e4m1, I've decided to give up on that one and carry on playing. E1m2 took me a whole hour to beat. What a map. The secret exit is very clever here, took me some time to figure out. :)

On to E4m9 then.

EDIT: I am stuck here. Got the red key. Pressed on the elevator switch in that room to go to the lowest room so I can kill all the spiderdemons and realised there is no way to lower the lift to go back up. Or maybe I just suck at finding switches.

EDIT 2: E4m3, the monsters that are meant to teleport in for the blue key trap are not waking up. Really weird map this. Perhaps too easy for this episode.

For the sake of giving a semi-constructive reply this time, it's generally unusual (though certainly not unreasonable) to see requests for finding secrets and such on Doomworld. Since so many of us are mappers to some degree, folks tend to open it up in a map editor themselves to figure out how things tick.

For the secret in question, I haven't played that map in a while (it's NaturalTvventy's), so I wouldn't be able to give guidance without looking (or replaying) myself. Welp. D:

E4M3 is mine though, so I'll take a look at that BK trap stuff. Darn bugs! :P

Ok, thank you. Unfortunately, I am on of those useless people who has no idea how to use doombuilder. If I knew how to look up the correct linedefs/tags/whatever they are called, I would've done so straight away. Whenever I can't find all the secrets, the best I can do is use the automap cheat and try to figure them out from there.

Also, was it intentional to make the normal exits Episode 3 levels lead to E3m9? I am playing in zdoom. And every level that has two exits takes me to E3m9 which means I'll be skipping the levels before E3m7. E3m4 and m5 seem to have this problem (unless this was done intentionally).

It's intentional.

I fixed the e4m3 issue. Thanks for playing and providing feedback! My maps are sufficiently harder than the others' maps of e4. That's just the way it goes when multiple mappers work independently on a project. Consider Chris's and Xaser's maps a chance to take a breath.

They are pretty hard. Ok, pretty weird to make two maps secret. Getting to one of them is pretty dang hard (E3m6) considering you have to run VERY far with your ass on fire from all that lava.

On E4m4, you might wanna add some radsuits (at least two, one for the blue key, one for the yellow key).

EDIT: So on e4m9, is there a switch to lower the lift once it's been fully raised? Because when you get the red key, you can lower the elevator and go down, but you can't lower it once you are at the bottom meaning you are stuck.