Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

What am I doing wrong? (C++)

So, I'm trying to compile this raycasting tutorial to check it out, and I can't get it to compile with Dev-C++.

http://lodev.org/cgtutor/

I've got the latest SDL library and include files all set up, but I'm getting the following errors upon compiling:

cannot find -lSDLmain
Id returned 1 exit status
Makefile.win [Build Error] [QuickCG.exe] Error 1

Well first of all Dev-C++ is an antiquated POS that hasn't seen an update in about a decade.

It should be -lSDLmain, l for library, not I.

Scet said:

Well first of all Dev-C++ is an antiquated POS that hasn't seen an update in about a decade.

Yup :-/

I'm always secretly hoping that one day that v4.9.9.2 will be perked up to v5...but alas, no such luck.

Incidentally, it's developed using Delphi....just like XWE. That language is pretty cool for rapid prototyping of stuff and development to the point where they mostly work....but it must really be killing any will to maintain stuff, there's no other explanation.

Scet said:

It should be -lSDLmain, l for library, not I.

Ah, I must've misread the lower case "l" as an uppercase "I", due to the shitty default font in the error console making them look identical. Well, regardless, that's what it says, -lSDLmain.

I was only using Dev-C++ because it's what the tutorials used, I'll just use Visual C++ instead.

I'm using the latest SDL (maybe I should use an older one from around when the tutorial was written?), installed and configured how it told me to, and I was using the project file that came with it.

Having tried to use Visual C++ instead, I got a completely different set of errors.

1>.\QuickCG.cpp(1289) : error C2065: 'clcl' : undeclared identifier
1>.\QuickCG.cpp(1348) : error C2065: 'lengthbase' : undeclared identifier
1>.\QuickCG.cpp(1348) : error C2065: 'lengthextra' : undeclared identifier
1>.\QuickCG.cpp(1353) : error C2065: 'distancebase' : undeclared identifier
1>.\QuickCG.cpp(1353) : error C2065: 'distanceextra' : undeclared identifier

Using the Visual C++ IDE ties you to using the Microsoft C and C++ compilers (at least it did so once, dunno if you can change this now), which have their own set of problems and incompatibilities with code that assumes that you'll be using gcc or gpp.

Your best bet is probably using Code::Blocks, which picks up where Dev-Cpp left off and also comes with gpp/gcc as an installation option. The only reason Dev-Cpp still appears in many -mostly older- tutorials is that a) It was free and b) It came with MinGW by default and already configured, so most "gcc friendly" code would work with it.

I think changing compilers again just because of some missing variables is a bit much. Although Maes is right that should you want to use gcc, Code::Blocks is a better option.

It's impossible to tell what's wrong given just a few error messages. Probably a missing source/header file or not using the right directories.

Compiling someone elses project is almost always a bitch.

Scet said:

It's impossible to tell what's wrong given just a few error messages. Probably a missing source/header file or not using the right directories.

I'm using the raycasting tutorial I linked to in the first post, so maybe someone could download it to see what the proper way of setting it up is?

I'm installing SDL's lib files, include files, and bin files into each compiler I use, and it just doesn't want to work.

I tried using Code::Blocks as well, it comes up with a shitload of errors when I compile. As outdated and crappy as Dev-C++ may be, it's the only one that comes up with only 1 real error when compiling.

Fix it then noob, jeez. Like try old versions of SDL, because that tute has been around for years. Gosh

Mr. T said:

Fix it then noob, jeez. Like try old versions of SDL, because that tute has been around for years. Gosh

Yeah, except I can't find older versions, either because nobody reuploaded them anywhere, or Google sucks.

They're right there on the SDL site in the "release" folder. Seriously if you can't figure this shit out I have no idea what you're doing trying to make your own raycaster, other than maybe wasting your time.

Mr. T said:

They're right there on the SDL site in the "release" folder. Seriously if you can't figure this shit out I have no idea what you're doing trying to make your own raycaster, other than maybe wasting your time.

It really would've helped if they actually linked to the folder on their sidebar.

So I suck at programming, you don't have to be such a dick about it. At least I'm actually trying to do something myself instead of asking others to code for me. All I'm trying to do in this thread is get the thing up and running at all, and once that's over with, I'll just stumble around on my own seeing what I can do to, not bothering anyone else about it in that stage of things.

I'm not being a dick, just realistic. They probably didn't link to it because they don't want a flood of noob emails with subjects like "WHY DOESN'T x COMPILE WITH SDL x.x?!"

Why don't you go and do learn python the hard way or Codecademy instead of trying to break your teeth on something obviously beyond your current skillset.

And

Bahahahahahaha

Mr. T said:

I'm not being a dick, just realistic. Why don't you go and do learn python the hard way or Codecademy instead of trying to break your teeth on something obviously beyond your current skillset.

I mean, I completely understand what you're saying (that I don't have a very good skillset yet and should try something easier, which honestly is very true), I'm just somewhat bothered by the snarkiness of your tone when it's not entirely necessary.

You are right though, I should be doing something far simpler. It's just my friend Freder has been playing a lot of Wolfenstein clones lately and we wanted to throw together a simple clone of our own.

I'll definitely try those links out though, should be a far better way to get into programming than an overambitious attempt at a simple FPS.

Mr. T said:

And

[Caution! Sodaholic thread]

Bahahahahahaha

MY THREADS AREN'T THAT BAD!! SERIOUSLY!!!

In all seriousness though, what would you say typically characterizes my threads/posts, so that I can improve them?

Mr. T said:

I'm not being a dick, just realistic.

Nope, just a dick.

Maes said:

Your best bet is probably using Code::Blocks, which picks up where Dev-Cpp left off and also comes with gpp/gcc as an installation option. The only reason Dev-Cpp still appears in many -mostly older- tutorials is that a) It was free and b) It came with MinGW by default and already configured, so most "gcc friendly" code would work with it.

Definitely Code::Blocks, have been using that one for 2 years and haven't looked back, it's a simple enviroment and generally it's easier to code in. As for compilation, it lets you off the bat choose the trillion compilator options instead of you having look up google on what does what.