Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Problem With Making Deep Water with a Self-Referencing Sector

I have a problem. I'm having a bit of trouble making deep water with a self-referencing sector for MAP06 in my megawad Illuminatus.

This image shows what part of the area looks like before I made it into a self-referencing sector.

This image shows what part of the area looks like after I made it into a self-referencing sector.

But this image shows what it looks like in gameplay, and it's not supposed to be that way.

So what could I have done wrong for this to happen? Here's an image that shows what the portion of the map looks like so that you know that I'm trying to build hallways with deep water.

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong, perhaps you referenced the wrong sector on accident?

Either way, there is another way to do it, which is with the flats bleeding trick. Basically, just remove the lower sidedefs of the lower sector, and viola, instant deepwater.

Rayzik said:

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong, perhaps you referenced the wrong sector on accident?

Either way, there is another way to do it, which is with the flats bleeding trick. Basically, just remove the lower sidedefs of the lower sector, and viola, instant deepwater.

I'm not sure what happened. I'm pretty sure I referenced the right sector.

Anyways, I tried out the bleeding flats trick and it works good, but I can see a slight HOM effect. But it's still a nice trick. We'll see if anyone else can help.

The self-referencing sector is used to make the water "deep". but is not used for actually drawing anything.

For example, the pool in TNT Evilution MAP02 has a normal pool and inside that is a self-referencing sector with a lower height, and another one with an even lower floor height.

Note too that node builders don't always handle the effect properly, since self-referencing sectors are actually invalid geometry -- so try different node builders.

andrewj said:

Note too that node builders don't always handle the effect properly, since self-referencing sectors are actually invalid geometry -- so try different node builders.

Only if there's overlapping sectors. If you make sure that the inside of the self-referencing sector is clear of any linedef referencing another sector it will always work.