Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

37 - W1 Floor Lower to Lowest Floor (changes texture) question.

The silver sector is the raised floor. Upon walking over the green action line in the centre, the silver sector lowers to the height of the floor around it. (Both the main brown sector and the gray 'monster closet' areas have the same floor height)

Now here is my question. The silver floor is currently changing to the dark gray flat, but I want it to change to the brown flat. What is the mechanism that the Doom engine uses to determine which adjacent flat the lowering sector changes to?

I have tried different combinations of flipping the two sided linedefs connecting the silver sector to the sectors either side of it. (Frontside facing brown, backside facing gray, etc,etc), and I have tried creating dummy sectors. (You can see the silver square surrounded by the bigger brown square in the bottom right.)

In a worst case scenario, I can alter the floor height so that the gray floor sits one pixel higher, and that solves the problem. But I would like to keep the floor heights the same if I can.

And it would be better to understand how it actually works.

(ZDoom shot with gray floor raised by one pixel, missing lower texture; much less noticeable than having a one unit high texture there.)

Thanks guys.

My memory is that it changes to whatevers on the front side of the triggering linedef, but that might be wrong (if so you could make a dummy player 1 scroll over the triggering linedef).

I have just gone and tried this, and neither having a different floor flat on the first or the second sidedef of the triggering linedef makes any difference.

I tested this in both ZDoom and Chocolate Doom. (If only I could ever get Chocolate Doom to run without Tutti Frutti. What a day that would be!)

Thanks gggmork.

I would have changed the flat myself, looks better if the whole room used the same flat. Just tried this figure this out myself with a test map, I don't see any way of getting this to work. Keep in mind its just a monster closet after all, is it really worth it to go through all this trouble.

Maybe let the silver floor not lower all the way down might work for you. Let it stop 4 units above the floor. That way it breaks up the two floors nicely. Flat20 looks better instead of that silver flat you use imo.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

(ZDoom shot with gray floor raised by one pixel, missing lower texture; much less noticeable than having a one unit high texture there.)

This does work.

gggmork said:

My memory is that it changes to whatevers on the front side of the triggering linedef.

True with 'raise to and change texture' linetypes.

The 'lower to and change texture' linetypes, take the flat from the sector the lowest numbered two sided linedef in the target sector, is attached to.

Note that some ports (ZDoom and Doomsday for instance) change the behaviour of the 'lower to and change texture' linetype, to take the flat from the sector the target sector is lowering to.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

(If only I could ever get Chocolate Doom to run without Tutti Frutti. What a day that would be!)

It's not hard. As for the texture change question, Vermil cleared that up. Recreate those sectors and ensure the lower numbered linedef is always connected to the sector you want to take the flat from.

Thanks Vermil and Dragonsbrethren. All fixed now. Cheers.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Tutti Frutti: It's not hard.

Yeah, I learned all about that tutti frutti from putting together assorted texture packs, most notably TNT2. No I meant the other tutti frutti: the graphics glitch that makes everything in Chocolate Doom appear all crazy colors. Sky, floors, walls, ceilings, everything.

Slight bump with a somewhat related question: I wanted to delete linedefs in DB2 so I could "recover" a lower linedef number to use so a certain sector would change floor to the proper texture, but when I do that DB2 doesn't give me the deleted linedef number back (i.e., if I'm at linedef #25000 and delete linedef #500, the next linedef I draw will still be linedef #25001).

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: found a "workaround" (Boom compat) so not an issue anymore

This is really frustrating, maybe I need an editor where you can change linedef number directly if that is even possible...

I'm assuming you just need any linedef lower than a certain value?

In that case it's pretty simple:

-- Choose the "safest" bit of map geometry (the one that would take the least effort to rebuild) among those with the desired range of linedef values.

-- Pick a suitable linedef, and then isolate it in "thin air" by adding vertices and deleting linedefs.

-- Drag this floating linedef to the desired location, and fit it properly.

-- You can now "fix" the map by redrawing the bit of map geometry you sacrificed and using the "Make Sectors" function if needed (e.g. to give a one-sided linedef two sides in a very simple way).

Here's a basic graphic: original version on the left, followed by the transformative process.

On 5/18/2012 at 4:24 AM, gggmork said:

My memory is that it changes to whatevers on the front side of the triggering linedef, but that might be wrong (if so you could make a dummy player 1 scroll over the triggering linedef).

I looked up on Google to find a solution and here it was on this awesome forum

Thank you!!