Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Pirate Doom! [GZDoom pwad] - new map 06/05/14

I finally gave this a shot and it's fantastic! Very well done. My old computer does suffer from framerate issues running it, but I can hardly blame you for that.

I love that you can use this with normal Doom levels too, that was an excellent decision. Too bad the textures don't get changed, I guess that makes it more compatible with wads that change textures though.

Great great great stuff!

EDIT: aaaand GZDoom crashes for me when LeChuck throws dynamite :( Oh well, that's basically the whole thing.

In fact I did. I guess this means I actually have to go back and win that fight now ;P

Hey, me again. I've been playing this month's DWmegawad Club with Pirate Doom, it's been a great way to add some variety.

However it's high on Chaingunner surprises, and I'm noticing just how much more powerful the Chaingun Guys are are in Pirate Doom than regular Doom. It's something I suspected with the PD levels, but here it's extremely noticable.

Quick tests show that they do about twice as much damage as normal; a player with 100% health and no armour can get killed in 4 hits if they're unlucky! I looked through your DECORATE code a bit and it looks like you're using the suggested generic-function code from the ZDoom wiki for their attack, so I assume this isn't intentional?

Totally not intentional! I just wanted to change the bullet puff.
So, the wiki is wrong? What would be a better damage value?

I hesitate to say "the wiki is definitely wrong," but there's something not right, somewhere.

CPOS F 4 bright A_CustomBulletAttack(22.5, 0, 3, 
      random(1,5)*3, "BulletPuff", 0, CBAF_NORANDOM)
This is the code from the wiki. It looks like he fires three bullets at once; that seems quite high. Looking at the stats from doomwiki it seems like just one bullet is a closer match to the Chaingun Guy's normal behaviour. If you'd like I can test this out sometime later today, but if you want to track it down yourself, that's fine too.

I found what's wrong, thou I couldn't reproduce the exact original behavior: A_Custombulletattack already multiplies damage by three, so this value: random (1,5)*3 was multiplied by 3 twice.

I noticed default chaingunner causes 3, 6, 9, 12 or 15 damage, so replacing damage with random (3,5) will get a value from 3 to 15 and all numbers in between. That's the closer I got to original behavior.

And thank you very much for finding this bug.

Welcome! One of us should note this on the ZDoom wiki page. I'll do it in a few hours if you don't get to it first.

hmm, wait. I think the wiki is right, because the CBAF_NORANDOM flag should disable the extra multiplier. I don't know why it is not working, though.

NORANDOM prevents it from being randomized; which is needed since you already have the random bit in the formula.

The value is still multiplied by three in the formula, and then there are three bullets shot at once, so if you get hit by all three, the damage is effectively between 9 and 45 instead of being between 3 and 15.

I think the mistake comes from a dumb copy/paste from the shotgun guy's attack.

That's right; plums was also right, I had not noticed that three bullet shot at once. Seems like fixing that to one perfectly simulates its standard behavior.

Alright, so chaingunners are fixed now, to default damage.
There is also some sprite work I've been doing these days and are included in this version:

Pirate Doom v1.3
http://confrariadacosta.com.br/piratedoom/PirateDoom.zip

changelog:

- Smoother torch light
- chaingunner triple damage bug fixed;
- Added a belt on imps
- Added a monocle on Spidermastermind
- Added leaf skirt on cannibals

Looks nice!

BTW I forgot to say before, I love how both the cannibals come from fighting games, haha. I loved World Heroes back in its day.

heh plums that was a nice coincidence.

Maybe I'm updating this too much, but oh well, I included one more little thing: an alt fire for the shotgun.

I don't know if "shotgun butt" is the right term, but that's it, you smash your shotgun against monster faces.

It's almost useless as it's weaker than the cutlass, but it's a fun move for sure.

And saying that all weapons have alt fire is easier than "all weapons, except single barrel shotgun, have alt fire". :)

Link:
http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/piratedoom/PirateDoom.zip

Having played the whole adventure now I have to say this is a work of genius. Excellent job on everything, especially sprites and weapons.

Well done

Thank you very much, mouldy!

I updated the download link with a new version, (1.4) with some little changes:

- widescreen hud;
- added a few more pirate sayings for human pirates;
- fixed melee alt fires decals bug. (they had bullet decals)

I actually think the shotgun alt-fire might be too strong still. In the early levels of Pirate Doom, I found the pistol (with cutlass alt-fire) and the shotgun (with no alt-fire) to be very balanced against each other, but putting a melee attack on the shotgun changes that a bit. Maybe that it fine though, and it did feel out of place to have only one weapon with no alt-fire.

The imps could definitely throw axes or something. But regular fireballs are still fine.

Several days later edit: having played it some more, the new shotgun is fine. You don't want the alt-fire so weak that it's useless.

The shotgun butt does about half damage of the cutlass, it can kill zombies with one hit sometimes, even without berserk. Also good to finish off demons and imps that survived one shotgun shot. That's my point too plums, you don't want this attack so weak that's useless.

I've found some textures badly unaligned on Grog Factory, and had to fix those. Along with that, dynamite has changed a little, it stops when hitting enemies, making it much easier to hit. There are also some new sea sounds that add a bit to ambiance.

Here's the link (Pirate Doom v.1.5):
http://confrariadacosta.com.br/piratedoom/PirateDoom.zip

edit: oh, about knives and axes, certainly that would be nice with the right sprites, but one important thing about monster missiles is that they glow in the dark so player can always see them coming.

Darch said:

edit: oh, about knives and axes, certainly that would be nice with the right sprites, but one important thing about monster missiles is that they glow in the dark so player can always see them coming.

So. Flaming knives and axes it is then.

http://youtu.be/wg0YvZnzxL0

Just letting you know Darch that I'm going to be covering part 1 of your beloved Pirate Doom on my twitch channel this Thursday evening cometh at 7pm GMT!
Having seen some of it via KingDime's awesome twitch channel the other week, I'm expecting this wad to hit the spot like a certain letter of the alphabet. Basically, I like the looks of it!

Thank you, John! Also, good stream matey, that was well played, very few deaths for a first play-through on skill 4. Glad that you covered it all on part 1 already :)

Dunno if it's been posted before, but how do you play this? I keep getting a decorate error :(

Edit: The error reads, "Weapon.bobstyle is an unknown property"

XenoNemisis said:

Dunno if it's been posted before, but how do you play this? I keep getting a decorate error :(

Make sure you are using the latest version / rev of GZDoom! I don't know offhand what I used when I did my playthrough a few days ago but it ran fine and if something isn't working right that's the first thing I'd check.