Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Visplane Explorer : new 0.80 version

Hmm, other than looking nice and interesting, I wonder what the practical use of seeing subsectors is :)

Unless maybe you have control over their placement, in order to do some obscure vanilla Doom tricks :)

Xaser said:

The plugin is reeeally cool, but only when it seems to work. Larger maps (I think?) are causing an unhandled exception ("Index was out of range") when trying to fire up the viewer.

As a quick test, trying to run it on Back to Saturn X E1 MAP01 will cause the exception.

Fixed and uploaded, try downloading the plugin again.
I also changed the display rendering a bit to increase performance (it was very poor for large maps).

Thanks andrewj, and sorry to steal your topic for this (it was asked here so I thought I'd put something together).

I have updated the plugin (again) with a fix that better shows the split areas. Because the area boundaries could overlap, it now also takes into account all the previous splits when drawing the visual representation of the "left" and "right" areas.
http://www.doombuilder.com/plugins/nodesviewer.zip

*bump*

I did some simple Googling and I'm not closer to finding an answer to my quandry: Why does Visplane Explorer (both the exe and the plugin (DB & GZDB)) crash on some maps? The funny thing is, I don't think it even has to do with reaching the visplane limit...

Anyway, it pops up now and then, only to go away on its own after a while. I can't be the only one. I can provide an example map if anyone wants to take a look at it.

EDIT: I guess it was some impassable, untexture linedef crossing a sector. Don't know how it got there, but with it out of the way, visplane explorer works once more. *Shrug!*
EDIT1: Thanks for the speedy reply, andrewj!

Any map that works in Vanilla DOOM should work in Visplane Explorer, and any map which crashes Vanilla may crash Visplane Explorer.

It's on the TODO to validate the map after loading it, to produce more graceful behavior than merely crashing. Though I can't say when that will get done.