Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadrawkstar

Writing an Article

Hello, I would like to start off by saying this is my first post here, and I'm very happy to be here. My name is Deadrawkstar and I run the site Modinformer.net

I'm currently working on a project and I would like to share it with you guys here at the DomWorld forum.

I have a big list of Moddable games, and I'm currently going through the list and making articles for each game on Modinformer and naming them something like "Wolfenstein Mods 101"

I'm currently working on "Doom Mods 101" and I'm covering Source Ports and then Mods For Sourc Ports i covered a few good ones of those, like Zdoom, the Doomsday engine, ZDaemon and a few more.

So I'm good with those. However, with Mods i am not. There's just so many, I'm not really sure where to start. I'm thinking about mentioning about 20 Mods in total. 10 regular map-mods that don't change much, and i want to feature 10 Total Conversions that really change up doom. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Of course, I will be thanking this Forum or any User who helps me in the post.

If you're interested in drawing in mass appeal for Doom, I'd say the best approach is to list Doom mods that are very diverse from each other.

We've got an excellent community of Deathmatch players, so you might want to talk about some popular deathmatch wads such as the UniDooM DM series, Greenwar, and DWANGO5. All very popular deathmatch wads, but very different.

We've got some cool TC's that try to implement different thematic elements into Doom, such as Aliens TC, Simpson's Doom, Batman Doom, etc.

Some people think Doom's future is best defined by creating the best visuals by combining art and craftsmanship with levels in wads such as Crucified Dreams, Cyb's Void, or SpaceDM9.

We've got people who are interested in preserving Doom's classic brilliance by looking back in history and perpetuating classic doom characteristics such as nonlinear level design, angles, secrets, and implied detail, with wads such as Reverie, No End In Sight, and Doom The Way Id Did

We've got a pretty strong Slaughter community, who seem to have a neverending thirst for violent monster slaying massacres. You could check out wads like Speed of Doom, Newgothic Movement, and Slaughterfest 2011.

We've also got a decent speedrunning and demo recording community who like to blast through classic megawads as fast or as creatively as possible, still competing for the best times in extremely difficult wads such as Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed 2.

You could also include some Weapon Wads too since I think that's a pretty inflated subsection of Doom editing too, like that Call of Duty guns mod.

Edited: links

Examples of critically acclaimed vanilla PWADs:

1. Serenity (Doom E1, actually also include the sequels Eternity and Infinity).

2. Memento Mori 1 / 2 (Doom 2)

3. Kama Sutra(Doom 2)

4. Icarus (Doom 2)

5. Requiem (Doom 2)

6. Plutonia 2 (Plutonia)

7. Hell Revealed I / II (Doom 2)

8. 2002: A Doom Odyssey (Doom)

9. Scythe (Doom 2)

10. Alien Vendetta (Doom 2)

Examples of critically acclaimed PC/TC PWADs:

1. Fistful of Doom (Doom 2)

2. Aliens TC (Doom)

3. Action Doom / Urban Brawl (Doom 2)

4. Batman Doom (Doom 2)

5. Twilight Warrior (Doom 2)

6. The Darkest Hour (Doom 2)

7. Nimrod (Doom 2)

8. Doom 64 TC (Doom 2)

9. Massmouth 1/2 (Doom 2)

10. Harmony (Doom 2)

I've not played everything in the above lists but they all appear in either the 10 Years of Doom article or Cacowards.

purist said:

8. Doom 64 TC (Doom 2)

If anything related to this is to be included, it ought to instead be the far more up-to-date, accurate, and ambitious Doom 64 EX by the same author.

Sweet, thanks for the replies everyone. I've also noticed there's an abundance of doom 2 mods as opposed to doom 1 mods. Is there a reason to that?

What if i limited my original question to only Doom 1 Mods?

Deadrawkstar said:

Sweet, thanks for the replies everyone. I've also noticed there's an abundance of doom 2 mods as opposed to doom 1 mods. Is there a reason to that?

Doom 2 has more features (monsters, decorations, etc.) and an extra weapon (a double barreled shotgun), so we tend to use it for mods more often. You could limit it to only Doom 1 mods, but it'd be pointless because Doom 1 and 2 are essentially the same game. I'd just pick the desired mods and list whether they are for Doom 1 or Doom 2.

Marnetmar said:

Doom 2 has more features (monsters, decorations, etc.) and an extra weapon (a double barreled shotgun), so we tend to use it for mods more often. You could limit it to only Doom 1 mods, but it'd be pointless because Doom 1 and 2 are essentially the same game. I'd just pick the desired mods and list whether they are for Doom 1 or Doom 2.

Yeah, I knew they used the same engine and such. But that's good to know the reason behind that. I'm still in the middle of editing the article so i'll probably make it a doom 1 and 2 article!

Oblige would make for an interesting mention too, since it does a decent job of randomly generating levels - even to spec.

Deadrawkstar said:

It's not entirely true that there are way more Doom 2 mods than there are Doom 1 mods. There are tons of single level deathmatch wads and quite a bit of single player levels for Doom 1. If you were to limit yourself to Doom 1 mods though, you probably wouldn't get to show off much great stuff though, since most of the stuff released for Doom 1 was during an era where few people had a grasp on how to make a good level for Doom. The standards really started to toughen up well after Doom 2, around 1996 and 1997.

Hey, thanks for the reply. ITS GOOD TO KNOW THAT TOO. WHEN IT COMES TIME FOR ME TO FINISH THAT ARTICLE I WILL ADD EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD TO CREDITS. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP.
sorry bout the caps. Typed this on my phone and didnt want to re-type it.