Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NeoNite

(making)adding sprites

i've been meaning to make a monster replacement sprite wad for doom2.
But there's this one thing though that's been buggin' me :)
Say you've drawn a monster, scan it and want the background to be transparent. Apparently only (?) gif files support transparent backgrounds? But wintex can only read .bmp files?
I'm using photoshop and paintshop pro (also have illustrator and coreldraw, so no problem in chosing a good graphics program :)..)

Same thing goes for walls: If I want to make a gate, how to I delete the redundant parts? (again, making sure they're transparent)

Appreciate any help :)

There is a colour in doom which when displayed in doom, is transparent...

Red:0
Green:255
Blue:255
Hue:120
Sat:240
Lum:120

So just fill in the parts what you want transparent with this colour. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by NeoNite
Apparently only (?) gif files support transparent backgrounds? But wintex can only read .bmp files?

Correct. WinTex (and DooM in general) can only read .bmp files. As mmnpsrsoskl pointed out, the color that WinTex considers as "transparent" is cyan. Other editors (such as DeepSea) consider different colors as "transparent". You can sample the cyan from any of DooM's images that have transparent sections (e.g., MIDBARS) and insert the color where you want your image to be transparent. Use the DooM palette for best results.

Originally posted by mmnpsrsoskl
There is a colour in doom which when displayed in doom, is transparent...

Just so everyone gets this straight. It has NOTHING to do with DOOM, it has everything to do with the program that converts the image to DOOM format.

DOOM does NOT have a transparent color. It has "holes" if you will. What the editors do is look for a "color" and then produce holes in the final DOOM formatted graphic. DeePsea, Wintex and probably XWE allow for other colors besides the default. The only thing you need to know are the RGB values - the rest is derivative.

DeePsea uses RGB= 255,0,255 because that is a REAL color in the DOOM palette and is NOT used by any DOOM graphic. Wintex makes an artificial color of RGB= 0,255,255 that replaces an existing palette entry - which can cause you problems in PSP:)

Yeah, listen to Deep.

It's annoying to hear people say all the time that 0,255,255 is a color in Doom's palette.

I also prefer 255,0,255 myself because sprites look better with that in the background than they do with 0,255,255.

When you edit the sprites... the darker the background, the easier to see details in the graphic.

Originally posted by Fredrik
When you edit the sprites... the darker the background, the easier to see details in the graphic.

Not strictly true. Dark Forces uses a black background for its "sprites". When editing the explosion sequences (e.g., exploding interrogator and probe droids), it's virtually impossible to see the very dark greys that are part of the explosion image (without zooming in). Makes the graphics a huge pain to edit.

Extremes are nice to illustrate a point. Generally, my preferences lean towards Fredrik's. If one wants to use an extreme color to illustrate something, pure white is a good example of making it hard to see because it has too much contrast. So there you have it, black and white imbedded as "transparent" usually is not easy on the eyes.

What the "black" example showed is that if an image has colors that match the transparency color it can get tricky. That would apply to any color one used.

Doesn't really matter what one uses - just realize that you can alter the color to suit your own preferences. Just make sure that color is not used as an actual color in your image:)