Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arkore

Dear Management

Help me understand what the problem is with my thread.

If you have a problem with my thread, please feel free to explain what the problem is.

Simply moving it to a hidden forum called "Morons" / "Blogs", and to not explain why, is little strange. If the forum is hidden, how is anyone going to see my thread? I find it a little offensive that you chucked my thread out into hidden territory, and insulting me by having a forum group called "Morons"

Can someone show me where in the rules that it's forbidden to introduce yourself to the community? I figured the General area was the best place to do that.

I figured it would be good to introduce myself before I suddenly show up with a thread about my map. No?

If you feel my thread is a "Blog", well, I'm sorry you feel that way. I decided to throw in a bit of history to my introduction only because I felt it would add a bit of flavor to my post. But, now I see that management finds it intrusive, or offensive, or whatever.

So, I should've remained silent and a stranger? Is that what I should learn from this?

I guess my thread went overboard enough to break your level of patience to keep the thread around for other people to read and respond to, like the first 4 people did already.

Sad.

Wow. So your thread was about a personal project you're working on? The subforum is accessible to everyone and has always been located in morons. We're a silly community, i guess. Have a little humor and stop being such a baby about things.

Don't take any offense to it being in a section called "Morons," It's not meant to make you look stupid. The rules say that you should probably start posting by contributing to existing threads, and that introductory threads are frowned upon. It's cool that you used to make Doom levels and feel a lot of nostalgia with the game, but the thread you made doesn't merit enough of a discussion to remain in Doom General, so it was moved to blogs since it was more of a personal thing.

Retaliating by making more threads also leaves a really bad first impression. We're usually pretty welcoming here, but we've had a lot of spammers and angry people show up here, so if you don't have a decent posting history before protesting how things are done here, you'll find that the mods here can be pretty quick to ban people.

Don't get too worried though, we're not out to get you, just be careful and check out the rules.

Oh, already a reply.

Snakes said:

Wow. So you're thread was about a personal project you're working on?

No, I just finished saying it was an introduction. I was introducing myself to the community. I guess you missed the thread.

Sorry if I have trouble finding humor in all this. Perhaps because it's silly humor for a "silly community" as you put it?

Doom General is for stuff about Doom in general.

Blogs is for stuff that's more personal.

The "problem" was a personal narrative in a game-specific forum.

So somebody moved it to the Blogs forum.

Nothing more to it.

It's nice that there is this forum and community and website and that it is so well moderated. Too bad the mods don't care that they scare people off with their way of managing things and overall are often unfriendly. I had a hard time with the way the mods ran things for a long time, but then I finally realized that posting on the forums is a privilege, not a right. This thread, too, will go somewhere among the morons section of the forum. Don't get discouraged by the über-moderation; doomworld is a great resource and hangout place if you can get over the lack of friendliness in certain areas.

Edit: oh, look, an umlauted ü just when I needed one, thanks Lüt. :p

You can always count on me to meet your every Deutsches need :D

arkore said:

Oh, already a reply.

No, I just finished saying it was an introduction. I was introducing myself to the community. I guess you missed the thread.

Sorry if I have trouble finding humor in all this. Perhaps because it's silly humor for a "silly community" as you put it?

I misread it. Not one of my finer moments. As others have pointed out, introductory threads of that nature usually wind up in the ol' blogs section. If the mod really had something against you... well, keep in mind that there are worse places a thread can go.

Just for a reassurance, there's another way to access your blog without going through the morons section: a link on your post or just typing in, for example:

http://www.doomworld.com/~arkore

Use3D's recommendation is the way to go, here.

yellowmadness54 said:

Another one of your more less finer moments, eh?

Edited, but what the hell does this even mean, sucka?

arkore said:

Can someone show me where in the rules that it's forbidden to introduce yourself to the community? I figured the General area was the best place to do that.

Certainly. It's right here in the FAQ. Please read it in its entirety before you post anything else.

* Please do not post a thread saying you are new here. While you might think it's a great idea, the best way to start participating is to put your two cents in on existing threads. Posting an "I'm new here" thread only brings negative attention to yourself.

Blogs was the appropriate place for your post. That's why it was moved there. The "Morons" reference is simply an in-joke, part of the Doomworld forums' culture.