Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You should give some of the featured maps a try. They're probably a little more of what you're looking for in terms of levels. What's nice is that if people don't like something, they can always mod it so it's better. They're already done that with the maps, and there seem to be quite a bit who find the featured maps to be quite a bit more enjoyable.

@bcwood16: If you'd like for us to be on Steam, vote for us on Greenlight! :) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95521749

If you make a game, and shortly after your release, people who have nothing to do with you are making levels that "quite a bit" of people find "quite a bit more enjoyable" than the ones you've included with the game, you're knowingly settling for something that isn't very good, which is a waste of not only the time and money you've spent developing the game, but of everyone who's bought it.

Moreover, your game is still in progress, so why aren't you hiring these people if they can make better maps than the ones you're charging money for, and apparently in a lot less time? On that note, the fact that it's taken multiple years of development to release five copy-and-paste maps when you have other people doing better already is just plain sad. Hire some of those people.

At this point, everything I've seen of this game and your attitude in relation to it has me convinced you're intentionally sabotaging your own success for some reason.

I have. Most recently, I hired Blarget2 - author of the "Grange" featured map. I loved what he did, thought he was really talented, and brought him onto the team almost immediately. Unfortunately though, he's still in high school and just didn't have the time. Others have been brought onto the team and for whatever reason, it just hasn't worked out. I wish we still had WastedYouth, who was just swamped with his other job.

At this point, things are so far along that I'll just finish things myself unless someone really dynamite comes along, which I really wish would happen (although E1M6 is pretty great so far).

kristus said:

Didn't you use to have Mek on the team?

Yep. Tried to get him back, but he's busy working on Project Retrograde as well as a bunch of other Doom projects.

essel: "The game" is the 9 maps of episode 1. The expansion isn't included in that. Moreover, all 30 of the maps have their layouts done, and most all of them have been put into the editor and are playable right now. What's holding them up from being ultimately completed are textures. Every couple of levels or so, maps get a new texture set to keep things fresh. Thankfully, everything is mostly complete for episode 1 on that front, so the rest of the maps should come fairly quickly.

I volunteered my services, but the emails went cold. Looks like you guys are pretty far along at this point and the project is looking really solid. Glad to see a pro-level game come from our lowly corner of the gaming universe.

Yea I did some pre-release work for the project and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I helped out a bit with the editor (mostly feedback and minor stuff) and did mapping. It took a bit of practice, but I really love the Quake-style 3D mapping and I plan on doing some more in the future. Unfortunately I couldn't make myself as available as I would have liked. And then after that first "cancellation", I just stepped away and focused on other things.

I appreciate the link to Retrograde by the way Carn :). My experiences with you were a huge inspiration for me to try and go in a similar direction. I can't wait until Vortex and I are at a point where we'll get to make some cool things. Right now he's still doing lots of coding grunt work though. If anyone is wondering why we haven't made a new blog post in so long, it's mostly because we don't have a ton of things to show off at the moment. I don't want to hijack Carn's thread, but if you dig around you can find links to a Google+ page, Twitter account, and there's also some stuff to see in our forums.

By the way, you should definitely consider getting Ed on your team. He is a fantastic mapper and would be exactly the thing you need to get the maps up to snuff.

Here's a screenshot from the next map - E1M6! What do you all think? Can you spot what makes the gameplay on this level unique? There might not be enough information in this screenshot, but hopefully somebody will figure it out!

@Mechadon: No problem! I hope that goes well. I'm sure you're learning just how tough it is to make a game, too! :P

Carnevil said:

Here's a screenshot from the next map - E1M6! What do you all think? Can you spot what makes the gameplay on this level unique? There might not be enough information in this screenshot, but hopefully somebody will figure it out!

http://i.imgur.com/wBkOvJp.png

It almost has height variation in it?

esselfortium said:

It almost has height variation in it?

Ehh, I think it looks alright. Maybe add some technical stuff on the floor?

It's a square, empty room that's completely indistinguishable from the square, empty rooms that made up E1M2-E1M5, sans the presence of a forcefield on the left (i.e. a translucent, switch-activated door). Detailing isn't what it lacks.

Carnevil said:

essel: "The game" is the 9 maps of episode 1. The expansion isn't included in that.

You're selling a shareware episode for $10.

People will buy anything :P

esselfortium said:

It's a square, empty room that's completely indistinguishable from the square, empty rooms that made up E1M2-E1M5, sans the presence of a forcefield on the left (i.e. a translucent, switch-activated door). Detailing isn't what it lacks.

there's a sucker born every minute, essel

kristus said:

Red forcefields that kill you when you cross?

Yes, but they just block you. There's a pretty interesting puzzle involving them on E1M7.

Technician said:

I've pretty much ignored this game so far, but are you selling a shareware with only a semi-complete episode?

No. By definition, since we're selling something, that means it's not shareware. The comparison to Doom doesn't really work since this is a far more ambitious game in terms of content. Every couple of levels, you're getting completely new environments, new monsters, new gameplay elements, new weapons, new cutscenes (we're in the process of finding voice actors for this), and more. It's a very dense game content-wise. The other episodes will be more analogous to an expansion pack than anything.

We're giving people a chance to get the game early for a discount and be part of it as it's being built. They get everything early, get to have their voices heard and get to play and make maps and mods right away (like this!). Certainly there's a lot who would rather just wait until everything's done to get on board, but the opportunity is there for those who want to take part in it.

Well. In Carney's defence, it's basically the same thing that everyone else is doing these days. Selling pre-orders and letting people use the development versions.

Carney, the spark warnings on the wall led me to believe the wall hurt the player.

Not only that, but lots of games, specifically indie, are right in line with Wrack in terms of diversity of content. Super Meat Boy has what, 5 texture sets? The Binding of Isaac has 4 or 5 with various expansions. ARES has 5 levels and texture sets. Wrack will have 4-5 texture sets over 9 levels, so I think that's perfect.

I see where you're coming from about them damaging you. The shot don't exactly show the force fields prominently, but I think people will figure them out. The first room gives you a chance to feel them out.

Carnevil said:

Every couple of levels, you're getting completely new environments

...are you fucking shitting me? As someone who has purchased and played the shareware I really, really would like to know where these completely new environments were. The only time the environment changes is from Map 01 to Map 02, and even then the only difference is you're outside during Map 01 going through a boxy map with only 5 textures and in Map 02 you're indoors going through a boxy map with only 5 textures.

Tarnsman said:

...are you fucking shitting me?

I shit you not!

TEXTURE SET 1: E1M1 (introduction, moving platforms)

TEXTURE SET 2: E1M2, E1M3 (toxic barrels and floors)

TEXTURE SET 3: E1M4, E1M5 (conveyor belts and smashing walls)

TEXTURE SET 4: E1M6, E1M6', E1M7 (force fields)

... and the finale will likely have some new textures too, but mostly it will be a recapitulation of the episode, so it'll use a lot of textures from the previous levels.

Also, E1M4/5 will look a hell of a lot better in the next update (like they do in that shot). That should help differentiate those two maps from the rest a bunch.

I honestly dont see why this is getting bashed so much. As someone who has purchased and played first hand i thought it was actually very fun. The small amount of levels at the moment is all that kept me away.

I think what Tarnsman is getting at is that most of the levels look like very similar techbases with changes in overall color. I think what he'd like to see are vastly different terrains and types of architecture.

Well, I don't think it's a problem. Torchlight was all different colored dungeons and the vast majority of people (myself included) ate it up.

I might check this game out of it is released on STEAM. Otherwise I doubt I will bother.

I like the concept behind this game.

The biggest problem with it is that I feel the game lacks character.

The enemies, the weapons and the artstyle looks too generic. That doesn't mean that game won't be fun gameplay wise, but it looks too much like somebody copied elements from other games and mashed them together into a generic mishmash of a game.