Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Wow, I want to play this!

If a dedicated team gets together to texture, map, model, etc for DarkPlaces, this could be possible as a Quake mod. :P

printz said:

Deja vu.

most people don't go to the fanfic forum so I wanted to post it here.

Impressive, but looks too "clean", if that makes any sense. One reason I still favor the 320x200 original software rendering is that it helps mask the fact that the world is built around exactly identical textures.

that chaingun is stupidly shiny, I can imagine that running around with that thing with all the reflections and beams of light emitting from it would be super distracting.

40oz said:

that chaingun is stupidly shiny, I can imagine that running around with that thing with all the reflections and beams of light emitting from it would be super distracting.

Have to find one complaint haha. It would be good to see this happen but this fanfic has been around for awhile so I doubt anything will come about.

It's too uncanny-valley, IMO. Nothing really looks 'real' despite being super-hi-res and not cartoony-stylized, and it doesn't seem to work well with Doom's simplistic architecture.

Heh, it sorta reminds me of the original Myst's cheesy pre-rendered environments. Beautiful at the time, but not quite so stellar in retrospect.

I'm honestly at that point where I think people should stop trying to make Doom into something it's not supposed to be. It sure is neat seeing things such as this, but I personally think that most of Doom's charm comes from the lack of graphical ability compared to modern engines. I just don't feel there is a suitable replacement for a graphical representation of Doom.

Once you go so far, it's just not Doom, no matter how much effort you put into it.

I don't think uping the graphics stops Doom from being Doom as long as the gameplay is still intact the way it was supposed to be, and the only real changes in that shot are bump mapping, models, reflective liquids and bloom which is not really much of a difference but makes it look much nicer. Also that sky looks too bright.

Xaser said:

Heh, it sorta reminds me of the original Myst's cheesy pre-rendered environments. Beautiful at the time, but not quite so stellar in retrospect.

I think Myst's backgrounds have held up quite well. They aren't cheesy but are instead very aesthetically pleasing.

Yeah... the original Doom screenshot that Cyanosis posted looks better. Much better, actually.

Phobus said:

Yeah... the original Doom screenshot that Cyanosis posted looks better. Much better, actually.

wut

somehow I didn't notice that the textures were all wrong too.

I dunno... maybe I'm just biased, but it just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. The sky looks good, but the textures look bizarre. One thing i find really strange is hiw the author decided to keep that DOORSTOP visual problem. Looks bleh.

wut

was my exact thought reading your OP.

Way too noisy, busy textures giving an amateur feel like in those games trying to be realistic in the 90s or the average "high-res textures" mod that just runs everything through a bunch of filters in every modern game; and on top of that, it just doesn't work with Doom's simplistic and abstract architecture.

Chaingun looks ludicrous like this, like some unskinned WIP model or somesuch.

Even the water manages to look drab and less detailed than the original with this uniform green color and ripples looking like plastic rather than liquid.

I'm willing to accept a certain amount of subjectivity when it comes to anything remotely close to art, I can understand other people having different tastes than I do... But when it comes to liking this particular scene over the original graphics and even saying a game looking like that would be an improvement? It just makes me want to shake my head and walk away. That's not even a "oldschool rox, current-gen graphics are teh suxxor" kind of post, if anything I feel for those modern games artists and programmers, those who are actually good, who put so much work into crafting genuinely impressive and objectively beautiful games only to get compared to stuff like this...

You guys are brutal. I think it looks awesome. Still, I can understand some of your arguments.

Even though I think this would be an AMAZING mod, there's something special and charming about the original graphics. I don't want them replaced. I think new graphics would be a fun option, but I don't want them to be the ONLY option.

People who will only accept games with "good graphics" piss me off, but I can also see an argument for the other way around. Even though I do think that the older games have something special that is lacking in today's games, I still play newer games and still have fun with them.

In my opinion, good games have one thing in common. They are FUN. That's it. Sure, aesthetics are nice, and good aesthetics can add to a good game, but it's really about the gameplay. If Doom wasn't fun to play, we wouldn't even be having this argument.

I seen this before in this thread, but I still think it looks nice. I'm not sure if it's really playable bcause of how it looks like something you would see in a 3D computer animation, but if it is, then I would like to play it too.

Yes I would love a mod that looks like his rendering. No I will not build it. No I do not have a computer that will come even close to playing it.