Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Welp, now I Know What's Wrong with Steam.

If it makes you feel better, you haven't actually bought the game. Just the right to use it for as long as Valve will agree.

How on earth do you manage to make an accidental purchase on Steam? There's a plenty of steps needed to buy a game there (add a game to basket, fill your info, confirm and actually pay (especially if you use PayPal)).

Gez said:

If it makes you feel better, you haven't actually bought the game. Just the right to use it for as long as Valve will agree exists.

Fixed.

How do u do an accidental purchase in steam? I recall it has a few different screens+confirmation before purchase is complete. Unlike the app store on an iPad with a 3 yr old at the helm (if you've recently entered the iTunes pad that is).

Maybe gift your accidental purchase in trade for something else - or just to get your karma back ;0)

Gez said:

If it makes you feel better, you haven't actually bought the game. Just the right to use it for as long as Valve will agree.

Fear not, for proletarian expropriation will restore his rights fully! "Arise, oh wretched of the earth..."

eargosedown said:

Just contact them for a refund?

Might take a day or two, but I'm sure they will do it.

A refund for what? The license? Plenty of Steam server emulators out there. Or are they gonna backdoor his PC and make sure he really-really-really deleted it?

That's like renting a movie, watching it, and asking for a refund because you "didn't like it". And who tells the video club that you didn't do a zillion bazillion copies of it instead?

I assume you've tried getting a refund through Steam Support?
Lots of people have gotten refunds before, as long as you've not played the game yet. I know the EULA says no refunds but they've refunded people plenty of times before.

At the very least it's worth a shot.

Steam support gives refunds as long as you haven't installed the game. Even if you have installed in it certain circumstances, like if it won't run on your hardware even if you meet the requirements.

And yeah, I'm also baffled as to how you accidentally buy something on Steam.

Jodwin said:

How on earth do you manage to make an accidental purchase on Steam? There's a plenty of steps needed to buy a game there (add a game to basket, fill your info, confirm and actually pay (especially if you use PayPal)).

I was wondering this myself. It's not like you literally click one icon and bang, the game is available to play.

Ah, I see we're on the topic of Steam again. My friend once gifted me a game I didn't want, but he managed to get a refund when I informed him of this. You'd be wise to try the same thing here, dude.

Snakes said:

My friend once gifted me a game I didn't want, but he managed to get a refund when I informed him of this.

Ingrate.

Maes said:

That's like renting a movie, watching it, and asking for a refund because you "didn't like it". And who tells the video club that you didn't do a zillion bazillion copies of it instead?

Possibly true but I do know people who have taken games, DVDs and CDs back to a store saying that they didn't like the game, movie or album and got a refund. Some stores actually have an advertised policy something like "take it back within 48 hours for what ever reason and we'll give you a refund". OK, these were purchases rather than rentals but it could work.

Blockbuster had a period in the 90s where they would let you try another movie for free if you didn't like the one you rented. It didn't apply to new releases. One of my friends abused it like crazy. He'd get four movies in a row like that.

That horse game looks utterly awful. Reminds of the time someone brought Dancing With The Stars (for PC) to a gift exchange. The guy who opened that one doesn't even like dancing of any kind. He couldn't even get somebody who did like dancing to take the game.

Aliotroph? said:

Blockbuster had a period in the 90s where they would let you try another movie for free if you didn't like the one you rented. It didn't apply to new releases. One of my friends abused it like crazy. He'd get four movies in a row like that.

That horse game looks utterly awful. Reminds of the time someone brought Dancing With The Stars (for PC) to a gift exchange. The guy who opened that one doesn't even like dancing of any kind. He couldn't even get somebody who did like dancing to take the game.

I remember when Blockbuster removed late penalties for a brief period of time. I think I kept a movie for a few weeks.

I actually forgot about it.

Technician said:

I remember when Blockbuster removed late penalties for a brief period of time. I think I kept a movie for a few weeks.

I actually forgot about it.

This is pretty much my Netflix habit in a nutshell. I've had the same movie for about 3 weeks now and this is the first time I realized it's been in my DVD player the entire time. Thanks for the reminder.

See, I said thanks! I'm not an ingrate!!!

I'm not sure how you accidentally game purchase on Steam, unless you did something like have everything filled out to buy, decide not to got through with it, somehow get distracted by other stuff and then come back and hit the final button somehow... maybe while in a trance or the cat jumped on the keyboard while you were in the latrine.

Kinda sucks you did that tho. :p

Melon said:

I know the EULA says no refunds but they've refunded people plenty of times before.

WHAT?!? I hate when things don't act as written and nobody tries to address that.

Can you even resell stuff you buy on steam, or is its main purpose to destroy the used market so monopoly fags can constantly sell new stuff to everyone? Ebay gave microsoft, adobe, and possibly other insiders nice little ebay monopolies where average joes are only 'allowed' to sell like 3 or however many adobe/whatever items per month before you hit a 'you can no longer participate in the free market says us lol' limit. Adobe used this nasty ass slimy troll firm in new york or somewhere to do a sort of RIAA 'send us 300 bucks or we'll sue you' tactic to people selling legitimate used software, oh by the way sending us the 300 bucks actually counts as your admittance to selling 'pirated' software. So if you send the 300, THEN we use that 'evidence' to sue you, ha ha. I really need to remove all adobe from my computer, like their shitty pdf shit. I hope they go bankrupt.

So, in your view the problem with Steam is that it's too easy to purchase things? Because when I purchase games on Steam, I have to go to the game page, add it to the cart, specify if this is a purchase for myself, or a gift, and then click purchase. It seems like there's enough steps there to realize that you're buying the game. And as others have said, Steam says it doesn't give out refunds, but I've seen many cases where they have issued a refund. Claiming it was an accidental purchase may persuade them to give you a refund, especially as long as you didn't take yet another step to actually install the game. And if you did install it, then I don't see why they would owe you a refund. If you haven't installed it, that means you haven't downloaded any information from their servers, therefore you had no opportunity to make copies. If it was installed after you purchased it, then it goes along the same lines as trying to return an opened PC game.

But still, how can you not have realized you were making this purchase? I would laugh at someone who went to a grocery store, picked up a $12 ham, went to the self checkout lane, scanned the ham, slid their credit card, signed for it, took the receipt, walked out of the store, and then said "WTF!? Why did they let me purchase this!? I didn't want this! This is ridiculous, this is what's wrong with self checkout!" And meanwhile didn't actually go back into the store and ask for a refund.

It wasn't me who made the order, my idiot friend decided he's mess with Steam while I wasn't looking.

My only problem with steam is that is doesn't give a damn about the people who are only able to get poor and expensive internet connections.

gggmork said:

Can you even resell stuff you buy on steam, or is its main purpose to destroy the used market so monopoly fags can constantly sell new stuff to everyone?

I don't think I've ever in my life been able to or had the opportunity to resell a PC game. Never seen a game store that would take them, though I never tried to resell them to friends or online. I thought it was pretty established that PC games were a one-time purchase for quite a while now, regardless of the medium they're bought from.

I definitely agree with you concerning consoles, though. I'm not sure I approve of a digital only market until they either make all games of quality and worth replaying on consoles, or implement a trading system. Neither thing will probably ever happen, so I hope it doesn't become a trend to keep fucking over the used game market with aftermarket restrictions.