Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Orchid87

Gun Buster? WAAAT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Tm6jbPC8k
So, in summary: it's an FPS by Taito for arcades which had 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 deathmatch modes a year BEFORE Doom!
Also I like how joystick is used for moving/strafing and the "gun" is used to turn left/right which is not unlike the modern WASD+Mouse (or left stick/right stick on consoles) of the modern FPS games. Even Quake did not have this kind of controls on default.

Sorry if old, but I've just found this out and I'm all like WAT.

Never heard of this game before, but I'm not sure how it qualifies as a FPS in the sense that we think of them in. Looks like you only "navigate" the environment by moving the lightgun when instructed to do so, hence the "LEFT TURN" and "RIGHT TURN" notifications popping up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The most appropriate term would be "enhanced rail shooter". Those existed before and after Doom.

Early ones (before mass-produced 3D) did away with the complexity of having a full 3D environment by cleverly using 2D cinematics, perspective, sprite scaling etc. in a restricted movement scenario. They might have looked "Doomy" enough, with some effort, but were by no means the same thing. Even when full 3D engines became available (e.g. Virtua Cop, House of the Dead etc.) they never lost the "rail" component.

Edit: nm hmm so this one actually appears to have a legitimate Wold3D-like engine, with shading (!), background pic and all, and even allows a much greater degree of player movement, unlike e.g. SNK's "Beast Busters" from 1989 or Terminator 2: The Arcade game. Of course, due to the arcade format, certain tradeoffs like map size, time for exploration etc. had to be done. Impressive nonetheless.

It's also impressive how it runs on standard TAITO Z 16-bit hardware (68020 CPU) of the time, no 3D acceleration whatsoever. It does hovever use a more powerful sprite engine. TAITO games were already able to perform sprite rotation and scaling, this one probably added perspective skewing to draw "3D textures" orthogonal to the player's view. Very convincing nonetheless. It would be interesting to see Doom ported to this hardware (floor textures would be a bitch though).

Nah, you can move around freely (judging by the video). Anyway, it looks more like a iteration of Battlezone rather than an FPS, so no need for anyone to be offended on Doom's behalf.

Check out this page:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=663&page=1#3298

TAITO had a lot of "3D-y" games at the time, usually variations of driving or space shooter games, but in all of them you can definitively see the seeds (if not the blossoms) of modern 3D FPS.

You can move freely. The usual joystick allows to move forward/backward and strafe left/right. The "gun" joystick is for moving the crosshair, turning left and right when the cursor is at the screen edge, and shooting. The game is closer to old shooters like Wolf 3D and Doom than to rail shooters.

I wish japanese devs made more raycaster engine FPS games back then, I like their sprite work on enemies and special effects (and hate the amount of flashing messages on screen)

Maes said:

Check out this page:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=663&page=1#3298

TAITO had a lot of "3D-y" games at the time, usually variations of driving or space shooter games, but in all of them you can definitively see the seeds (if not the blossoms) of modern 3D FPS.

IMO with the likes of Call of Duty and it's constantly changing set pieces and quick time events the genre came close to the arcade games.

Actually, this game has a pretty strange control scheme. You get a "lightgun" (actually just an analog joystick shaped like a gun) and a regular joystick that controls movement. The "Left!" and "Right!" prompts are just there to tell you where your opponent is.

The single-player mode is basically just a tournament ladder like Quake 3.