Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackFyre

Been away for a while, need help

I've been away from map editing and the Doom community at large for a while now, and I have a lot of catching up to do. One of the mods I am most interested in is the Brutal Doom mod for ZDoom and Skulltag. I have downloaded both Skulltage and ZDoom, as well as the corresponding pk3 files for Brutal Doom, but have no idea of how to proceed from there. Can anyone assist? Thanks! :)

P.S.: Before anyone asks, yes I do have the IWAD files in thier proper locations already.

Create a file on your desktop named brutaldoom.bat . Edit the file and add these contents (change things around based on your directory names:

C:\gzdoom\gzdoom.exe -iwad C:\gzdoom\doom2.wad -file C:\gzdoom\brutalgzdoomv014.pk3

After that just click on the brutaldoom.bat file and everything should run.

Also with ZDoom you can simply drag and drop pk3 files on to the ZDoom program icon. Not sure if this works with Skulltag.

The ZDoom wiki features plenty of methods in which you can start a game to play a mod, or several mods in conjunction.

Also, yes, these methods also work with Skulltag, since it's based on ZDoom.

OK, well I sort of got it to work with Skulltug by dragging the .pk3 file to the skulltag application, but the new weapons or visual effects were not present. However, I was able to get it to work with ZDoom. Thanks much!

Using a front end like ZDL would help a lot in loading multiple files.

Dragging 'n dropping is the Cybie's ass.

Sometimes there is some files you have to load in a specific order, but I just line them up properly, highlight then chuck 'em at G/ZDoom.

It appears that ZDL is no longer available for download. Is there another site where it can be found?

Addition to previous: How do I add pwad files to play using Brutal Doom?

Makes sense, though I guess I would have to use the warp cheat to get to them, assuming they are not in direct order with the maps in the IWAD file.

BlackFyre said:

It appears that ZDL is no longer available for download. Is there another site where it can be found?

Addition to previous: How do I add pwad files to play using Brutal Doom?

ZDL has become ZDL Sharp: http://zdlsharp.vectec.net/wiki/Main_Page . You can download the most recent build of the loader at that link.

I downloaded the file, and it does make launching ZDoom easier, but I'm having the same trouble with it as I am with Skulltag...while it will load the file, it will not put in the new animations and weapons for Brutal.

BlackFyre said:

I downloaded the file, and it does make launching ZDoom easier, but I'm having the same trouble with it as I am with Skulltag...while it will load the file, it will not put in the new animations and weapons for Brutal.

There is a version of Brutal Doom for Skulltag and a version for GZDoom. Try downloading GZDoom, http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/download.html , and make sure you have the two different versions of Brutal Doom, the Skulltag and GZDoom versions, properly matched with either GZDoom or Skulltag.

EDIT: I think regular ZDoom support was recently added for Brutal Doom, but I'm pretty sure it was originally developed just for GZDoom and Skulltag.