Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Sony wants you to see ads during gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86B3ZAK7BA
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/05/25/sony-patent-pauses-games-advertising

I don't think my rage meter has been so high on seeing this bullshit that this dude rants about.

OK, ads on video sites and elsewhere might be fine but doing it in the MIDDLE OF FUCKING GAMEPLAY is crossing a line. Fuck that.

I won't be touching a Sony console again if such happens, despite being a predominant PC gamer.

Lance MDR Rocket said:

What's with the sense of entitlement??????????????

I know this is sarcasm but it makes me almost want to kill myself knowing that lots of people will actually say things like that and mean it.

Dynamic ads on billboards and signs or whatever is fine, but I would stop playing Playstation games if they implement interrupting gameplay for ads. That is bullshit.

i don't think they could seriously go through with this. gamers (even casual ones) would have to be retarded to let this happen and continue financially supporting any company that does this.

unfortunately, we already know that most gamers are retarded

Fuzzyfireball said:

*hugs PC*

Until games come with DRM that will load ads from the net that will, too, popup during game play.

Considering we have been collectively playing video games without ads interrupting us for FOURTY YEARS, it seems unlikely that they'll successfully implement this, but you never know.

yeah we've been collectively playing single player games without having to be connected to the internet for spurious reasons for forty years too. Times they are a-changin'.

I don't own a Playstation and I have no intention of ever buying one, but this is abject stupidity. And if it catches on then all games on all platforms might eventually succumb to the same thing.

It's obvious some people would try to produce ads that pause a game. The part of that that enrages me is the patent was granted. I can't see any permutation of it that would be patent worthy unless it was clever enough not to pause the game at points that would hurt your chances of doing well.

The nice thing about the patent is it restricts other people from trying the same trick until the patent expires unless they can afford to license it from Sony.

Nomad said:

Dynamic ads on billboards and signs or whatever is fine, but I would stop playing Playstation games if they implement interrupting gameplay for ads. That is bullshit.

http://www.securitronlinux.com/bejiitaswrath/sony-corporation-planning-in-game-advertising-is-this-the-downfall-of-sony/

I made that point in my posting, a game like Blood 2 would be fine with ads everywhere, it is set in a city after all, but interstitial ads would utterly suck. Will the Idiocracy future vision come true?

So are you going to advertise in free to play games, or in games you pay money for? If it's the former, go ahead, it's not like you're paying for the game. But if they're adding ads to something you paid for...well, fuck that shit.

Oh wait, I don't play anything Sony, never mind then.

lol console gaming

It's been about 5 years since I've exclusively been a PC gamer and I haven't looked back since. The longer the console market goes on, the shittier the user experience is. While some of the AAA companies are trying to do the same thing to the PC market as well, their efforts don't have that large of an impact as they do in the console market.

How the dick could anyone with anything that resembles a brain ever come close to thinking this is even remotely a good idea at all? WHAT HAVE WE BECOME?

Xaser said:

WHAT HAVE WE BECOME?

Why would you care? It's not the old-school computer-savvy game-modding hobbyists they're targeting. It's totally another category, that solely plays games as a pastime and won't mind anything like DRM or even paid-for ads because the game works just fine.

What if I don't connect it to the internet? Seems to work fine for ad-driven android games[/trolling]

printz said:

the game works just fine.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

printz said:

game.

*HEAD EXPLODES*

printz said:

Why would you care?

The fact that this just got asked might just be frying my brain even more than the patent did. O_O

printz said:

because the game works just fine.

Except for not being able to play it just to have "BUY COKE!!" shoved in your face for 30 seconds. I don't even think their target audience will like this very much. I can't imagine any type of gamer (or even ordinary person) liking this much.

This is the equivalent of having a tv show interrupted every 3 minutes with a 30 second commercial instead of 5 minutes of commercials every 15 minutes. It's distracting and heavily interferes with the gameplay.

Meh, new games tend to just reinvent the wheel anyway, that's why I don't care. Serves them right.

Sodaholic said:

lol console gaming

It's been about 5 years since I've exclusively been a PC gamer and I haven't looked back since. The longer the console market goes on, the shittier the user experience is. While some of the AAA companies are trying to do the same thing to the PC market as well, their efforts don't have that large of an impact as they do in the console market.

Atleast, if they tried this crap on a PC game, it could easily be reversed with mods. I already paid for the game so I'm sure as hell not going to let them try to make extra money off gameplay disrupting ads. I would only allow it if it made the game free.

When I clicked on the link for the video, an ad for a Sony product came on first before the video loaded :)

If there's any truth to this, Sony will be committing business suicide.

Ads, ads, ads....with the world economy hitting rock bottom in a few years and the masses of angry sub-neo-proletarians hitting the streets, I wonder who these "ads" are aimed at.

I mean, seriously. What do they expect? That some player TOTALLY stops playing, puts down his controllers and yells "VARMINT!! I GOTTA GO OUT AND BUY ME SOME COKE, ARGH!". Actually, who's gonna to afford a home + a tv + an internet connection to play those "games", watch those "ads", and also have money to spend on such trivialities in the years to come?