Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Your New Mega-Cool-and-Whatnot Project Ideas

I thought I'd make a place for people to pitch their project ideas without fear of falling foul of the [/newproject] tag.

Who knows, it might generate some good new ideas, kill some mappers block or get people together for the next big community project. If not, at worst it will at least keep all the over-ambitious, ultimately unworkable suggestions in one easily avoidable place!

My own contribution...

Name: Blight
Source Port: Vanilla
Resources: New textures, flats & music only.
Pitch: An all British megawad. The idea came to me after reading about the Czech megawad Zones of Fear and seeing the Doomworld Locations thread. I thought there's already at least one Russian megawad and an Italian one too. Seems there's a few us about so maybe us Brit mappers should show what we're capable of.

The maps could have a vaguely British theme like castles and medieval dungeons or could be inspired by real British locations (Stonehenge, anyone?)

I'd happily contribute maps for this sort of project but it's the kind of idea that needs people to buy into early before it can get off the ground and I would need help organising since Progression Fiction isn't finished yet.

So anyway, that's something off my chest. If anyone else has something to offload post here and worry not about having screenshots, map downloads or anything else to show right now.

Since I'm writing a full blown concept document right now it's too big to put in this thread, but Quiver.

I hope it gets off the ground, I really want to make it become a reality.

I can't exactly add anything substantial here, but to your idea, I would be up for that, being from Southampton. Could make a docklands map, given Britain's naval history.

I'd just like to see more projects where the texture pack is already made up and posted for download (preferably new or original textures, they don't even really have to be great), and that each section of the project is given a specified theme, followed by a short story depicting the Doom Guy's mission throughout the wad.

purist said:

The maps could have a vaguely British theme like castles and medieval dungeons or could be inspired by real British locations (Stonehenge, anyone?)

Giant's Causeway, perhaps? It would be interesting to attempt to create a map entirely out of hexagonal stone columns (yes, I am from Norn Iron).

As far as my own vapourware goes,

Name: Witness
Port: (G)ZDoom
Resources: A little bit of everything.
Pitch: A short-ish episode where you play as a scientist caught up in one of the invasions, and your goal is basically to get to the evac ship. Problem is you've never fired a gun in your life ...

I haven't condemned this to the scrapheap yet, but I want to finish up what I have cooking at the moment before I tackle anything else.

st.alfonzo said:

From the not quite dissimilar doomworld.com/vb/post/915689]previous thread of ideas.

New ETA is roughly 2022. Can't you just feel the excitement?

I had a somewhat similar idea! In my project you play as a waitress in a restaurant full of Barons (of Hell). They are REALLY demanding, so you`d have to be a really skilled player to master the gameplay.

Heh, a "best of British" .WAD would be an interesting one. I think a cobblestoned streets map would be my first port of call in such a community project (says the Londoner who has moved to Cambridge)

I'm going to actively avoid puttting ideas into this thread, as I've discovered that planning means my ideas never get done.

@cannonball, scalliano & Phobus: Very good. Perhaps this Brit pack idea has something resembling legs after all. If there's sufficient interest to start us off (say around 10 mappers), I'll get something started and it could possibly start later in the year when our current mapping commitments die down.

Marnetmar said:

Since I'm writing a full blown concept document right now it's too big to put in this thread, but Quiver.

I hope it gets off the ground, I really want to make it become a reality.

A Doom engine FPS is something I'd like to get involved with at some point but probably not any time soon. Due to the sheer amount of work involved one or more of the following would need to be a big factor:

a) I find the premise irresistable.
b) Most of the work is already done.
c) I'm working to my own design spec.

i once saw an extremely extensive facility-map located at the ocean, at around evening time, since the water was dark. i remember key-areas from it, and i thought up 3-4 additional maps after that were you get aboard on a huge spaceship, blow it up, go into a escape map, then land on a small asteroid or celestial body, in which there conveniently is a small base located on where you can call on rescue-team to pick you up. then the mapset ends.

i really want to make it one day. maybe this summer i'll get more involved in Doom modding, and then, maybe, it will become a reality. one can only dream of that.

Doomhuntress said:

i once saw an extremely extensive facility-map located at the ocean, at around evening time, since the water was dark. i remember key-areas from it, and i thought up 3-4 additional maps after that were you get aboard on a huge spaceship, blow it up, go into a escape map, then land on a small asteroid or celestial body, in which there conveniently is a small base located on where you can call on rescue-team to pick you up. then the mapset ends.

i really want to make it one day. maybe this summer i'll get more involved in Doom modding, and then, maybe, it will become a reality. one can only dream of that.

Wasn't this by any chance, was it?

I really wish Blizzardson would get that out the door ...

For now i wanna try my hands at something heretic related, probably a level based in some sort of town and a graveyard...nothing too outstanding but i'm still thinking of layout and such.

NAME:???
STYLE: Single-Player
PORT: ZDoom or Skulltag
RESOURCES: Original and custom sprites, sounds, weapons, etc.
PITCH: When Doomworld is invaded by viruses mimicking Doom monsters, the administration sends forum member "Omen" in search of clues. As he investigates various websites, Omen discovers a threat that could destroy not only the Doom community, but all of videogaming...

FEATURES:

1. A brand new story and fully-voiced script with 1,000 lines of diologue.
2. Varied locations: Defunct websites, Doomworld's forums, corporate headquarters, jungle tropics, and more.
3. An all-new, high-quality .WAV soundtrack.
4. Augmentations allow you to regenerate health, become invisible, destroy incoming missles, and more.
5. Varied gameplay: Pilot a gunship, control a low-orbital ion cannon, steer a UGV, and more.

scalliano said:

Wasn't this by any chance, was it?

I really wish Blizzardson would get that out the door ...

naah, not really. it's less of the PSX Doom vibe from that level and more like, Equinox-inspired in terms of architecture, especially the spaceship level, with a bit if Deus Vult II in it.

I'm up for the Brit megawad, but am heavily committed to the Panophobia project. I'm changing hours at work soon so I will have hundreds of free hours over the next few months, so we'll see...

There's a WWII stealth TC that I have been wanting to pick up again, but right now I lack the resources (enemies, textures, weapons, etc.)to even get a start on a single map.

a megawad with levels with stages of supernintendo games like donkey kong country, mario world, mortal kombat, killer instinct, metroid, megaman, etc.

an 8 or 9 level hub-based Turok 2 inspired wad. New textures, flats, etc. Maybe some custom monsters so that each level can have a more unique cast.

Each level would be populated by level-specific enemies & have an appearance unique to that level. You'd be able to go to the levels in any order you like, but it will require lots of traveling between other levels to solve puzzles or use keys you acquired somewhere else. Maybe copy the idea about the "Sacred eagle feathers" and have special skills that you can learn in certain levels, such as being impervious to damage from nukage or being able to leap up to high areas previously inaccessible.

of course, first I should probably learn how to make some vanilla maps.

Stonehenge is British? Never knew that, thanks. :)

But seriously, mine is called "Journey through the horned gate" The catch is that it takes place in a big hub world, similar to Zelda. You travel from point to point, going into diffferent missions, looking for these, uh... well, I haven't got that bit figured out yet, but you collect them like the stars in super mario 64, and use them to open up new places. Mostly using what Doom has to offer, will probably make a custom boss, or tweak that spider mastermind to be better than he was.

Oh, port. Zdoom, will probably upgrade to GZ... maybe.

Stonehenge is British?

Uh, where did you think it was, seriously?

That British megawad sounds interesting. Could maybe make a Scottish themed level for you. :P

Captain Toenail said:

That British megawad sounds interesting. Could maybe make a Scottish themed level for you. :P

It'd only want independence anyway :P

As for a project I would like to see, my own bloody megawad. I don't know how others manage to make their own 32 level wads, it just seems like a monolithic task to me.

Edited by Captain Toenail

Name: F***in Space Wars!
Source Port: Skulltag/GZdoom
Resources: New textures, flats, music, and 3D models
Pitch: Spaaaaaaaace! And ships like the mechs in AOW 2. It could be lots of game modes.

Doom/idTech1 editor for Mac OS X forward compatible to Mountain Lion and with all features of Doom Builder 2.

Name: Hell On Phil
Source Port: vanilla compatible
resources: stock resources with custom skies
Pitch: A full 32 megawad with an episode format similar to scythe 2s.

This was an idea I've been brainstorming about since finishing my "Shores of Phil" doom 1 episode. Currently brainstorming and making notes of what I want to do before I start mapping it. Grant it theres is no promises that I'll ever make 32 maps but if I do manage to make some but lose interest completely, I will probably release what I made and call it complete :P

I just emailed John Romero asking if I can write a Doom novel.

As for mapping projects:

Panophobia Megawad
Maps: Temple of Forgotten Gods (aquaphobia), The Sickness Without (agoraphobia), The House That Fear Built (fear of the past), The Meat Train (fear of meat), Nightmare In Spiderland (arachnophobia), plus an untitled map (fear of leaving things unfinished)

Newbie Megawad
Maps: Hush, possibly a second map as well

Slaughterfest 2012
Map currently on hold (I hate slaughtermaps)

Captain Toenail said:

As for independence I'm indifferent. :P

Scotland and Ireland should have their own independence if they want it. Who are we to stop them?

Name: CUBES
Source Port: None
Resources: New sprites for monsters, projectiles and weapons

Pitch: Replace monster, projectile and weapon sprites with simple cubes that equal the original's exact size. Instead of fighting a monster with a gun, you will fight a cube with a cube. Each monster cube will use a different colour and the colour will change slightly when they are in attack mode. Projectiles will also be cubes.

This will take all of the violence out of Doom without changing the gameplay at all.

Name: The crate maze to end all crate mazes
Source Port: GZDoom with 3D floors
Resources: New crate textures!
Pitch: The biggest crate maze ever made. Really, really big. Like this:

I wonder if gggmork could make it with his map generation techniques. Or we could ask Doomguy 2000. :D