Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

The Idiocracy is here: television advertisements.

On television, they have that annoying insurance ad where that lady says "fantasticerr err,err". And that other advertisement where they are selling burgers I think and they say "goodification" No wonder the language is going downhill. I know that television ads only dumb you down, but I can not believe the extent that television is becoming dumber and dumber.

What do you think about these horrendous advertisements.

#EDIT links added.

fantasticer ,err ,err

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jUvWNvqgOs

The gooderer goodification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVman6zBKV0

I'd had the good fortune to have not seen either of those ads until curiosity prompted me to find out what you'd done wrong with the YouTube tags.

Meh. Ads written with a comedic slant commonly butcher anything from the English language to other such things as "humor" and "facts." I somehow doubt that TV has any long-term impact on taking the language downhill (other than the occasional truthiness). We have pop-culture and the internet to thank more for that.

I don't know those ads and don't care to know them....

I don't watch much TV. Last time I had the TV on was a month ago or something. Commercials tend to ruin anything you watch but I think that's just the silly breaks in the program, not the commercials themselves. I think it's silly when they go to a commercial then come back and show a short bit of the show then roll the credits. Bleagh.

Maybe you should fix your tags sometime. :p

Using the same line of thought you can just as easily claim that the standard formal English used in the last few centuries is a completely butchered and dumbed down variant of whatever preceded it. It might be a pretty logical conclusion to use fantasticer if you don't know that tradition dictates it's "more fantastic". And I'm willing to bet plenty of words we take for granted as perfectly valid today came about in the same way.

Language is not something static. It always changes over time to become more practical for the kind of society we live in. If you really, truly care about linguistic integrity you might as well go back to caveman grunts.

"Butchering" words like that has been trendy on the internet for some time now; marketing people are just starting to catch on years later, as always.

Dragonsbrethren said:

"Butchering" words like that has been trendy on the internet for some time now; marketing people are just starting to catch on years later, as always.

Yeah, text talk has ruined the english language long before anything else.

I haven't watched TV in years, and crap like this reminds me why.

Snakes said:

Meh. Ads written with a comedic slant commonly butcher anything from the English language

Eh, don't worry, English won't go anywhere for the time being.

Huh. It's weird to see that first commercial in Britishese (lol omguguys you see what I did there?). Anyway, the KFC commercial is just plain stupid, and as you can see by the dislikes on that video, the world isn't coming to one big idiocracy.

Krispy said:

Anyway, the KFC commercial is just plain stupid, and as you can see by the dislikes on that video, the world isn't coming to one big idiocracy.

I don't know about that. The top comment starts off with "The Foods good," and there is no single level-headed person on this planet that can actually enjoy whatever the fuck it is KFC serves on a day-to-day basis.

neubejiita said:

On television, they have that annoying insurance ad where that lady says "fantasticerr err,err". And that other advertisement where they are selling burgers I think and they say "goodification" No wonder the language is going downhill. I know that television ads only dumb you down, but I can not believe the extent that television is becoming dumber and dumber.

Your argument has a very high suckitude. Being able to make up new works and combine parts of words in ways that makes sense instantly is one of English's strengths.

Neither TV nor texting has done one bit of harm to English. TV ads are just random; they have to be so people will notice them. Texting is just the way it is because the people using it couldn't write in the first place. Most people have never been able to write very well if at all. Perhaps we have cars so those people will still have roads to build, drive-throughs to staff and ditches to dig.

Commercials are indeed a good reason to avoid TV. They'll be less annoying when enough people learn to care and murder advertisers who mix them too loud.

Aliotroph? said:

Commercials are indeed a good reason to avoid TV. They'll be less annoying when enough people learn to care and murder advertisers who mix them too loud.

Yep, that would be one of my main gripes about TV commercials... they're too loud. I thought they were doing something about that or maybe that was just talk. Commercials don't make me crazy like they do with some people as I tend to just mute them and do some reading, when I do happen to watch a show. If somebody else is handling the remote it can be annoying. lol

As for making up words or combing them in odd ways, I tend to do that myself, probably due to being a bit weird..

GeckoYamori said:

Using the same line of thought you can just as easily claim that the standard formal English used in the last few centuries is a completely butchered and dumbed down variant of whatever preceded it. It might be a pretty logical conclusion to use fantasticer if you don't know that tradition dictates it's "more fantastic". And I'm willing to bet plenty of words we take for granted as perfectly valid today came about in the same way.

Language is not something static. It always changes over time to become more practical for the kind of society we live in. If you really, truly care about linguistic integrity you might as well go back to caveman grunts.

Indeed. A Saxon warrior might chop you down with his keen axe if he saw how the complicated but eloquent grammar of Old English has been replaced with the simplistic pseudo-French mishmash we use now. A poet of the time would be similarly depressed with the lack of high-end word play in the form of the kenning.

Depending on how I'm feeling I'll actually often hit "mute" when advertisements come on because they find so many ways to annoy these days. At least I can pretend they don't exist if I don't have to listen to them.

I need to find alternate ways of getting my tv though, as I still have to put up with the pictures on screen. meh.

InsanityBringer said:

Depending on how I'm feeling I'll actually often hit "mute" when advertisements come on because they find so many ways to annoy these days. At least I can pretend they don't exist if I don't have to listen to them.

I need to find alternate ways of getting my tv though, as I still have to put up with the pictures on screen. meh.

You can always turn the tv off, wait 2-3 minutes, then turn it back on. As a bonus, the network won't get money from your TV being on during those commercials.

I'm pretty sure if I want some chicken, I don't want it sold to me by some nerd talking in queer computerish bleep bloop-speak.

Commercials never cease to insult my intelligence. Anything singing ever I think is deliberately done to incite homicidal behavior.

I'm another who rides shotgun on the mute button if not forcibly restrained. I've worn out a couple of remotes that way.

Cyanosis said:

Anything singing ever I think is deliberately done to incite homicidal behavior.

Surely there's the odd exception (such as Louie the Fly), though I'll admit the Decimal Currency jingle gets a little annoying after a while - the full jingle starts around 3:10.

Captain Toenail said:

At least you don't have the GoCompare guy in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-6clXHMEw

There are several GoCompare adverts, all featuring this same guy singing the same damn song, over and over. And every second advert is a GoCompare advert. So glad BBC iPlayer exists! At least CompareTheMeerkat one is funny. Simples. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN9OKXtzHtE

All these ads don't even compare to this one I just saw recently..

Ow my balls anyone?

Most of the TV I watch lately is from public channels. Commercial TV is getting worse and worse unless you pay more and more for special packages.

Quasar said:
A Saxon warrior might chop you down with his keen axe if he saw how the complicated but eloquent grammar of Old English has been replaced with the simplistic pseudo-French mishmash we use now.

Language purism is silly. Old English was a changing mutation and a mix from previous language too, with variants depending on region and class, but interested parties later depicted it as purified to solidify the Nation State.

I'm sick of people who think that a language is some kind of pristine work of art that must be preserved and protected. It's ironic that the people who claim to have a monopoly on decreeing what is "correct" and "incorrect" in our language are the people that have the worst understanding of how our language came to be in the first place.