Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buu342

Kill Player, Display message, Exit level.

Yes, it is possible. Example script:

------------------------------------------

#include "zcommon.acs"

SCRIPT 1 (void)
{
DamageThing(0);
Print(s:"This is the end");
Delay(100);
Exit_Normal(0);
}

------------------------------------------

Then you need a line with special 80 - Script Execute, that calls this script when player walks over. Only works if your map is in Hexen format or UDMF.

But what if the player presses "use" and thus restarts the map? Better disable key presses before the delay.

Memfis said:

But what if the player presses "use" and thus restarts the map? Better disable key presses before the delay.

Yes, that was going to be my next question.

Memfis said:

Better disable key presses before the delay.

You can't do this, for better or worse. Best you can do is leave a note in the textfile somewhere telling the user that death is to be expected, or otherwise make it silly and obvious (a la TCA).

If you make the scripted scene continue after you're dead and not just wait a few tics silently and do nothing until exit, it's pretty likely that players will see it through if the delay is short.

Can't you have the message and death the other way around; problem solved then?

With no delay both would be simultaneous, no matter what order they are in the script.

Well, I meant display the message, wait a second or two and then kill the player.

Personally, I'd display a message, then fade in fake red screen filter and play death scream sound. Then a couple of seconds later, really kill the player and exit the map at the same moment.