• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darknation

Sprite Tutorial

Originally posted by Zaldron

Holy shit. ^_^

BTW, did I mention I'm the official Coreldraw basher?

Bashing the program wont piss me off y'know - it's not like I actually wanted it for my birthday, I just happened to get it as a birthday present.
I'm still curious as to why you hate it.

Originally posted by Fredrik
CorelDraw is ultragay.

Originally posted by deadnail

Well now I can think of at least three things more ultragay than CorelDraw. DooMBoy, for example. Russell Crowe with nine dildos up his ass for another. And... well, shit. Man, CorelDraw is teh ghey. You should just use that disc as a frisbee and get the shit done with MSPaint.

Just saying that Coreldraw is teh ghey wont get me anywhere.
WHY do you happen to think it's gay (I might as well agree wholeheartedly with you if you list the gay aspects of it)?

Darknation: it would be nice if someone created a tutorial outlining a technique which would teach peeps an easier method for comin up with da different angles for a sprite, rather than havin to draw each and every one by hand! As Zaldron stated, da 3d model one sounds tight as fuck, and would be very interestin.... just my opinion yo!

Speakin of which.... Zaldron why don't yo ass make one? I've seen what you can come up with, and you seem like you gots da skills, so why not make a little tutorial to help da rest of us peeps still learning?

Deadnail's...... err, deadnail's post here

deadnail.... you are without a doubt, da sickest, coldest, most miserable SOB I have yet to see in dis little corner of hell dat we call DOOMWORLD!!

............. DON'T EVA CHANGE! YOU IS AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL! :P

j/k

Originally posted by dsm
Just saying that Coreldraw is teh ghey wont get me anywhere.
WHY do you happen to think it's gay (I might as well agree wholeheartedly with you if you list the gay aspects of it)?

You can use it if you wanna create gay graphics, say, a big "GAY!" banner.

Esco: Hmmm... problem with making a 3D model and converting it to doom is not only buying a 3D modeler but learning to use it.

My original idea was to get Gmax and make the models in that, but it's so goddamn complex to do that I gave up in the end. And if anyone does know how to use gmax to make simple models you can bet your ass that they won't be writing any tutorials anytime soon. It's a complicated deal, and I'd be just as fast drawing out the sprites with pen and paper. I lot of people view 3D models as the easy way out, but talk to Eloba and Zaldron and I think you'll find otherwise.

Plus I like the flexabilty that goes with drawing by hand... that's why CGI movies depicting previously hand-drawn characters seldom work. It's a lot easier to cheat and change stuff when drawing by hand (chack out all the cartoons you watched as a kid... dangermouse, duckula, etc) and you'll see that as the character turns the drawing changes the details around... hairlines move about the place, noses slide across the face, ears move down and mouths appear to the side. This sort of 'artistic licence' is hard to replicate on a 3D model.

I'm going to time myself next time I make a single frame from a sprite and see how long it takes me... If I hurried I bet I could churn out the five angles in about six hours and after that it's a simple case of changing the legs and arms to animate. You could do the entire sprite in a couple of days if you really set your mind to it and had nothign do do for a weekend...

Fredrik: heh. gayness.

DSM: It's probally worth changing programs... once you learn one paint program, you've learned them all (apart from Photoshop which is so complicated it's painful). I'm gonna download PSP 4 tonight and check out what the difference between it and PSP 5. I suspect it just lacks the filters.

Most important thing with a program is that you are comfortable with it. If you spend half your time swearing and cursing at the editor than that's half your time not making sprites.

Most important thing with a program is that you are comfortable with it. If you spend half your time swearing and cursing at the editor than that's half your time not making sprites.

True words of wisdom there :)

Yes, don't take me wrong. If you know how to draw, go for it. Take a look at Capcom's awesome fighting games. Making that kind of fluid movements in a 3D model that's just going to be used for a couple of 80x150 sprites is lame and useless. I still preffer hand drawed stuff over polygonal characters when it comes to fighting games.

In Doom, on the other hand, I preffer working in 3D, where you don't need to build complex objects to simulate characters at such a small resolution. I could post a tutorial but it would be more like a 3DSMAX handling tutorial, since there are no basics for enemy creation, just slap a couple of objects till it looks good, render, save, rotate camera 45°, repeat.

You can use it if you wanna create gay graphics, say, a big "GAY!" banner.

OMG he's right! It is also a nazi program!

Originally posted by Zaldron
EVEN WORSE : GAY NAZI PROPAGANDA

OMG NO! What kind of world do we live in?

OMG! I JUST FOUND OUT THAT IF YOU REARRANGE THE WORDS IN MANY POPULAR BOOKS, YOU GET NAZI PROPAGANDA!

OMG! I JUST FOUND OUT THAT IF YOU REARRANGE THE WORDS IN MANY POPULAR BOOKS, YOU GET NAZI PROPAGANDA!

AND IF YOU REPLACE COREL WITH PROPAGANDA NAZI, YOU GET NAZI PROPAGANDA!

Another thread is mutating before my very eyes...

Originally posted by Maonth

AND IF YOU REPLACE COREL WITH PROPAGANDA NAZI, YOU GET NAZI PROPAGANDA!

OH MY GOD WE ARE DOOMED HOW COULD WE BE THAT BLIND!!!

OH MY GOD WE ARE DOOMED HOW COULD WE BE THAT BLIND!!!

OMG. WTC...9/11....911

EMERGENCY!

Nope. Maybe he's dead.

Just don't even go there already. Now I'm scared shitless someone WILL die and we won't take it seriously anymore.

Ebola had a cause to disappear (broken hardware), but I have no clue why he hasn't had that fixed yet, if that is the only reason.