Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomguy64

Skybox without Hexen?

So I want to make a skybox. I load up Doom Builder 1. (Or the last v1 release, cause me pc can't handle DB2) I look at tutorials online, all of them are for editing in Hexen format. All I got is regular Doom, not Hexen. Nor do I want to do it in Hexen format. I'm using Zdoom. Does anyone know how to do a skybox for Zdoom? If we have to edit lumps, I can do that too.

Any help is appreciated. :)

You don't need Hexen to use the Hexen format. It's just a map format.

Most ZDoom features require the Hexen format or UDMF.

That said, you actually can create a skybox in the Doom format. You will need to use Eternity's method with the SkyCamCompat object and then you need to set up a map translator so as to be able to use Sector_SetPortal as a Doom linedef type. Yes, it is a lot more complicated to use and a lot more limited in its capabilities, but that's the price you have to pay for wanting to use the Doom format.

Gez said:

Most ZDoom features require the Hexen format or UDMF.

That said, you actually can create a skybox in the Doom format. You will need to use Eternity's method with the SkyCamCompat object and then you need to set up a map translator so as to be able to use Sector_SetPortal as a Doom linedef type. Yes, it is a lot more complicated to use and a lot more limited in its capabilities, but that's the price you have to pay for wanting to use the Doom format.

Isn't that a bit embrace-and-extinguishy? :P Looks like I need to add that doomednum as an alternate skybox cam in EE :P

Maybe, though it doesn't entirely embrace EE (for example, if the camera is given height in ExtraData, ZDoom will not pick it up and the camera will remain on the floor). It's just a case of a feature existing doing the same thing, so why not just add another interface for enhancing compatibility?

Unfortunately, there was a doomednum conflict with Skulltag and the map translator doesn't do thing translations.

Gez said:

*facepalm* No one ever told me that. And considering what I have to do to get one working without the hexen format, I may as well do it in hexen format.

Thanks for helping a noob out. :)