Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

Lost everything.

Yesterday, I was working on one of my projects, in the evening.
It was storming outside. The power went out for about 2 seconds, and before It, the wad was opened in Doom Builder 2. (I think in Slade, too, but i can't remember)
So, the power went off for some seconds. When the storm went away, i turned on the comp again. I wanted to test it, and then i saw, that there is no maps in it. I was like WTF, because there were 2 maps in it, before...
I opened it in Slade, and it only showed markers, with 0 byte size (XWE, too). However, the whole file is 19 megs big.

Any ideas for getting it back? I still have the first map (i had a backup), but i worked 12 hours on the second...
Was It Doom Builder's fail, or other? Should be, because this happened to me, when I was editing some other things not related to Doom, and those didn't get lost.

If the power goes off in the middle of a program writing a file it'll only be partially written and can become corrupted. Seems like that's what happened here, were you saving the file when the power went off?

What OS are you using, because I know that some versions of Windows can restore files and folders to old versions, other operating systems may also be able to do this but I couldn't tell you how. Try right-clicking on the file, go to "properties" and look for a "previous versions" tab. If you can restore it you'll still have lost some progress, but you might be able to get some of the level back. My Windows 7 at home lets me do this, as does the Windows XP at work, so you might be in luck.

EDIT: Duh, silly me, Doom Builder 2 makes its own backup files. Look for them in the location where you saved the file.

Melon said:

If the power goes off in the middle of a program writing a file it'll only be partially written and can become corrupted. Seems like that's what happened here, were you saving the file when the power went off?

What OS are you using, because I know that some versions of Windows can restore files and folders to old versions, other operating systems may also be able to do this but I couldn't tell you how. Try right-clicking on the file, go to "properties" and look for a "previous versions" tab. If you can restore it you'll still have lost some progress, but you might be able to get some of the level back. My Windows 7 at home lets me do this, as does the Windows XP at work, so you might be in luck.

I wasn't saving it, it was only opened, and already were saved. I Use Windows 7 Ultimate, but it says it doesn't have previous versions about the file. :/ (because i didn't make any backups from the system before)

FractalXX said:

I wasn't saving it, it was only opened, and already were saved. I Use Windows 7 Ultimate, but it says it doesn't have previous versions about the file. :/ (because i didn't make any backups from the system before)

Sorry I made an edit to my post that you might not have seen, Doom Builder creates its own backup files. If you look in the location where you saved your wad in My Computer you'll notice a bunch of other files with the same name as your wad, try right-click --> Open on those files and choose Doom Builder from your list of programs and at least one of them should be an older version of your file. They have the file extensions .backup1, .backup2, etc.

If you can't find a backup, upload what you have to a file sharing site and post a link in this thread. There's still a chance something can be salvaged with the aid of a HEX editor.

Melon said:

Sorry I made an edit to my post that you might not have seen, Doom Builder creates its own backup files. If you look in the location where you saved your wad in My Computer you'll notice a bunch of other files with the same name as your wad, try right-click --> Open on those files and choose Doom Builder from your list of programs and at least one of them should be an older version of your file. They have the file extensions .backup1, .backup2, etc.

Big thanks! I didn't think about it, even when i saw the backup files... Now i can continue work... :D

If you can't find a backup, upload what you have to a file sharing site and post a link in this thread. There's still a chance something can be salvaged with the aid of a HEX editor.

Thanks for the reply, but it's solved... :)

That's good to hear. I usually shut down my computer and unplug the modem when there's a storm about.