Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gatling

For what other games do you play lots of mods and add-ons (WADs)? ...if any

I’m guessing that most people on this forum have played lots of Doom WADs, so you’re obviously open-minded to user-made enhancements. Assuming Doom is not the only game you’ve ever played, I’m curious as to what games you play with WADs or their equivalent.

The elder scrolls games are about the only ones I've regularly played with mods.

The last mod I played was Project Reality for Battlefield 2. Unfortunately, Half Life 2 seems to have the only sizable mod community left - but excluding Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike, it's a barren wasteland of empty servers.

Games I've played with mods: Garry's Mod, newer Elder Scrolls games, Total Annihilation, Minecraft (mostly server plugins), C&C (all of them), Fallout 3/NV, System Shock 2 (texture mods)

It seems the most modded games are either games that allow for easy mapping or were designed to be customizable and very open. System Shock 2 is an exception, but in the process of getting it running I found an upgraded texture package.

Descent I/II
Doom I/II (of course) plus Heretic
Duke Nukem 3D
Wolfenstein 3D
Quake
Serious Sam FE/SE (non-HD)

Listed generally in order from what I've spent most to least time on lately. Descent can addict me intensely at times.

I play a lot of games with mods, and have always had a very big soft spot in my heart particularly for HL1 mods. I feel like HL1 is one of the best values in all of gaming because the sheer variety in different sorts of mods that sprung for it is just staggering. Gameplay wise, after buying just that one game, you can play so many others. Aliens vs. Space Marines, The Matrix, there's a mod for any real war you can think of, murder mysteries on a boat, not to mention the Valve sponsored ones like Counter Strike and TFC, or DMC. And there's dozens of others. While they don't have the sheer quantity of Doom Wads, the gameplay is obviously drastically different from stock HL1 in most of these titles.

Currently the newest hot mod in the PC gaming community is for ARMA II, which is a few years old now. It's called DayZ, and it's basically a survival horror game where you have an inventory that is saved with your character, and when you're killed you drop all your loot and start from scratch. It's a multiplayer only mod, and your inventory is saved between servers. The main enemy is supposed to be the zombies that rush at you, but most people I've heard are more afraid of paranoid players who will often freak out and think you're a bandit come to steal their supplies. Or maybe they're bandits themselves. Either way it seems like a pretty tense game. It's shot up so much in popularity that Arma II is the most purchased game on steam recently, even at full price.

Wolfenstein 3d, minecraft, trackmania... Umm... Probably lots of stuff I don't remember now. And if somewhere is a level editor option, I must use it. Even if I actually don't like the game.

Trying out ARMA 2 with the Dayz mod, pretty damn cool except for some major issues in the Alpha version, the original game itself feels like an Alpha it's so buggy, let alone the Dayz mod. And fuckloads of Skyrim mods.

Nomad said:

The elder scrolls games are about the only ones I've regularly played with mods.

Pretty much.

Except I downloaded a lot of Q3A maps back in the day.

Morrowind, Oblivion, Minecraft(mainly texturepacks), Empire at War: Forces of Corruption, STALKER + CoP, CoD:WaW(only custom maps for nazi zombies), Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships(code tweaking mods), Jedi Academy/Outcast(custom sp maps and player character skins), Return to Castle Wolfenstein(custom sp maps and weapon skins).

Some of these games I haven't touch in a while now though

L4D, coop campaigns. That's about it for "lots", not because I don't like mods, but because the quality isn't there, so it's at best a select few per game.

The Elder Scrolls series, I'm looking at you. Their fanbase jumps to claim the vanilla games are crap at any occasion, and yet most of the mods they make and use are magnitudes worse.

How do you find your mods? Do you look for your favorite titles, or titles you just got, and find mods that look interesting on moddb.com or fileplanet.com?

Gatling said:

How do you find your mods? Do you look for your favorite titles, or titles you just got, and find mods that look interesting on moddb.com or fileplanet.com?

There's also gamefront (formally filefront).

The Elder Scrolls games, mainly Oblivion and Skyrim. I think I played so much Morrowind back in the day, I'm still burned out on it.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Quake and Quake 2. Tho I haven't looked for Quake stuffs in ages.

Half-Life. Poke 646 and USS Darkstar plus many other user made levels...

Heretic 2. Tho I think any interest I had in it was completely drained and thrown into the abyss. Heh.

Titan Quest. Only mod I can think of that I used was that TQ Vault. You could store items in the vault and retrieve them with any character without loading the game... or something like that... it's been awhile since I used it. I wish I had a clone of that in some other games.. haha.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. I used some big overhaul mod. It was sweet. Think I still have that loaded but I had a brain fade and lost my damned saves. Fffffffuuucccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Not all that many, actually. Mainly because most games I play only have "enhancement" mods or mods that add content inside the existing levels, meaning you have to play through a chunk of the game or cheat to play around with it. Those just don't interest me all that much, especially when the enhancement mods just make the game look or play worse than it does out of the box.

That said, I did keep up with every single player GoldenEye mission released until recently, since I've been pretty burnt out with the game. I occasionally grab a few Quake maps and play those. I used to be really big into multiplayer Half-Life and Tiberian Sun mods years ago, when those games were still really popular online and me and one of my buddies played one or the other almost every day. Played tons of ROM hacks too; the problem there is projects almost never get finished, and the ones that do tend to have their difficulty skewed too far towards the expert players, so they're just not fun for a "casual" player like me who can beat the original game with no effort.

Supaplex. There are about 1000-2000 levels to play, each one with completely possible solutions, but requiring tricks from the deepest pits of hell, with little regard for humanity.

Lode runner (sierra) - I made about 150 maps for that game back in 1998/9, all are currently on my fried windows 95 which I doubt to get into working order anymore. Also 100 or so incredible machine 2 maps... *sigh*

Why would you need to get it working? Pop the hard drive into something that does work and get your files.

Gatling said:

Avoozl said:

There's also gamefront (formally filefront).

Cool, though I guess I was asking a more general question. I mean, is that the way you browse mods? Or do you find dedicated sites like doomworld.com and its links or nexusmods.com? Do you search mods for games you like, or games you find disappointing? Do you ever get games with an explicit determination to play mods on it? (Should I create a new thread, with a poll?) I'm curious about you people because mods are much harder to sort/navigate than commercial games.

For example, I got Quake 1 and 2 recently. It is so boring. Levels are so repetitive and monotone, it's like I'm clearing the same room/staircase over and over. Whatever intricacy a level has simply translates into me wandering for a while. The games aren't too hard but enemies seem to take forever to kill and the same methods work every time, this is especially true in Q2 which I see as a step down from Q1. Could mods turn the quakes inside-out? Well, I found the following channel featuring playthroughs of select Q1 mods and, at a glance, most mods seem to take cues from original Q1 level design. There are few apparent mods that take a different approach, like an Indian-themed mod that features open-arena-style combat atop a big castle. Should I abandon Q1,Q2 addons based on my dislike of the originals?

Well presented Q1 mod playthroughs:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Monster667

Dragonsbrethren said:

Not all that many, actually. Mainly because most games I play only have "enhancement" mods or mods that add content inside the existing levels, meaning you have to play through a chunk of the game or cheat to play around with it. Those just don't interest me all that much, especially when the enhancement mods just make the game look or play worse than it does out of the box.

Hmm, many games have extensive and thoroughly tested "enhancement" mods. I see from your post that when you like a certain game, you look for more content for that game.