• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Doom - Evil Unleashed 1.7

Knee-deep in the Dead – Part 7

-

"Captain Sir, do you read me?" I inquired in my radio microphone. There was no reply.

I was at the Computer Station, the last base installation before the Research facility. I hadn’t found as much as a single living human on my way through the Processing Plant nor at this station and I was beginning to be extremely worried. I knew that my buddies had been at the Command Control Station where they had been attacked. I hadn’t met any of them on my way to that station, so they had obviously moved towards the Research Facility, but I hadn't found anyone alive and I hadn't found enough dead marines to prove that they had all been killed, so there must still be some alive. Or would there?

I had finally decided to attempt a radio call. I had tried all the frequencies and attempted to get in contact with everyone of the guys in my platoon. I had even tried to contact Lieutenant McDowell and now Captain Howard, but the radio yielded nothing but empty static.

I stared emptily down the hallway ahead of me.
I felt incredibly alone all of a sudden. If I couldn't get in contact with the others, then it meant that they were either dead or out of range. If they were all dead then they must have met their fate at the Research Facility, which indicated that the facility was a much more dangerous place than any of those other monster-infested installations.
But maybe they were all still alive at the Research Facility, fending off the monsters from there? Seeing as they had left plenty of opposition for me to clear up, they had probably used evasive tactics as much as possible trying to get to a place where they could regroup. That place must be the Research Facility. The Facility was too far away for my small radio to reach my comrades if they were there, so it was possible that they were there.

I decided that I had better hurry up.

-

I was jogging through a room with a large machine, which was no doubt the central processing unit for all the advanced supercomputers in this station. Unfortunately, the computers were all messed up through some unknown disturbance. I had realized that this could be the very same disturbance which had messed up the sensors in the landing pod. The same disturbance which prevented me from seeing the monsters as red dots on the monitors while they were closing in on my comrades.

I casually glanced out of a window while I ran past the CPU. There was a large courtyard out there, which was now littered with dead zombie soldiers I had killed a short while ago.

I suddenly noticed a reflection and my instinct told me that I was in trouble.
I threw myself to the ground, hoping that my reaction wasn't too late.

It wasn't too late. Something made a small hole in the window glass, and I felt something whiz past me just above my head.
Someone, or rather something, was sniping at me – most likely a former human.
Looking around, I noticed a dead former human lying next to me. I had blown its head off earlier and I lay very close to the pool of blood flowing from its decapitated neck. I hadn't emptied its rifle of ammunition, because I currently carried as much ammunition for the chain gun as I could have, but I figured that the best way to counter a sniper would be to snipe him before he could pull the trigger. I put down my chain gun on the floor and picked up the assault rifle, while keeping low so that I didn't give my position away to the sniping monster.

Crawling behind the solid wall next to the window, I got up and slowly peeked around the window frame out into the courtyard.
I noticed a building with similar windows on it. One of the windows had no glass in it and I briefly noticed a human figure, holding a weapon in its hands.
I quickly pulled my head back into cover as another bullet made an ugly hole in the glass next to where I was standing.

I had to take him before he could take me, which meant that I had to change my position. The other window on the other side of the full wall section I was standing behind was out of the question. The sniper "zombie" could bag me first. I had to take him by surprise and the safest way to do it was by taking an evasive route.
I got down on my belly and crawled beneath the window with the bullet holes until I reached safety behind the big CPU. I quietly got back up and snuck stealthily away from the windows. My plan was to get to another series of windows I had been past before, which gave a nice view to the building where I had seen the sniper. And I had to get there without being seen and fast.

-

I threw myself to the floor. I was getting near the window. The area around the window was ideal for sniping purposes. The hallway near the window was dark and shadowy and would make it hard for the former human to see me. I got up next to the window with the rifle in my hands. I had activated the scope.
"If only I had a spotter" I thought bitterly to myself. I had to do without.
Quickly detaching the box-shaped scope, I pressed a tiny switch on it, linking the scope's view to my helmet computer. A small screen, showing the view from the scope appeared at the far left corner of my faceplate.
Pointing the scope around the window frame and at the building with the sniper in it, I was cautious to keep the scope in the shadows so that the former human wouldn't see the scope if it looked through its own riflescope in my direction. I could see the bastard clearly now. It was still pointing its gun toward the spot where I had last been. It wore combat armor, so I had to hit it in the head to take it down without risking directing its shots in my direction.
Having reattached the scope to the rifle, I put the butt of the gun up against my shoulder, pointing the gun upwards as to not scrape the muzzle of the gun against the wall.
I crapped sideways into view, staying three feet away from the window screen itself, and brought the rifle in firing position with the scope pressed firmly against the faceplate in front of my right eye.
Looking through the scope I saw the former human turn. The crosshair was right on top of the reanimated soldier's forehead. I squeezed the trigger and felt how the gun kicked into the shoulder plate of my armor vest as the gun fired. The "zombie's" head jerked backwards and a cloud of blood and brains stood out from the back of its head as it fell backwards.

I got up and resumed my search for the exit, which I believed was in the building from where the sniper had been firing at me.

-

I peeked around the corner, looking into a fairly large room.
A few shotgun toting reanimated grunts were lying in wait for me on my right, either standing or kneeling near a doorway. They clearly knew that I would come this way sooner or later. The door itself appeared to be sealed by security, as three metal bars lay across the door with security locks keeping the door firmly shut.

I had found the entrance to the building where the former human sniper had been shooting at me.
I hadn't been able to see the other former humans through the rifle's scope because they were in hiding so that they couldn't be seen from the courtyard.
I could see that they were all alert, with their weapons at the ready; some of the shotguns were aimed in my direction.
To my left was a darkened room behind a glass window. I noticed movement inside.
Ahead of me was an adjacent hallway. Checking my map view, I could quickly confirm that this hallway led into the dark room – I had been looking into the same hallway a while ago, where I mowed down a large group comprised of the brown S.O.B's and former human troops.

I peeked into the room again. The former humans were moving their heads slowly to the left and right. I reacted just as they were looking in any other direction than mine and ran sideways into the room, firing a spray of deadly lead at the surprised humanoid soldiers, which weren't given time to react before they were hit by the bullets, and I leapt down next to the dark room's window, while keeping myself out of sight of any monsters inside that room.

I could hear them breathe in there. My attack had been very successful, as not a single of the shotgun guys had survived the deadly rain of bullets. I waited a moment, while listening to the ragged breathing of the grunts behind the wall, before I took a quick step out of my hiding place behind the window frame, sending another burst through the window, killing two former humans.

In the brief moment where I killed the two grunts I noticed that a third trooper was running out of the darkness, heading my way. I spun around and ran sideways behind cover, just as the last former human rounded the corner, with its gun raised.
It never knew what hit it, as I pulled out one of my pistols and fired around the corner, blowing its brains out.

I found the elevator to the monorail station beneath the building after collecting the ammo from the dead mutants.

I really hoped that I would find my buddies at the Research Facility and I was already considering what course of action I should take when I arrived, while waiting for the elevator to reach the underground level.

So far, I've written several chapters for Evil Unleashed and a short "level" story called "The Command Control Station" (Not as good as Evil Unleashed - I wasn't quite as thorough with it), which you can find here.
I've also written a few contributions to the two community stories (A story where the whole community participates in writing the story by adding small parts to it - check it out!).

You can find links to the other chapters of Doom - Evil Unleashed here

Great! I can't really tell you if you have made any errors in the story though because I ain't that great myself at grammar and spelling and all that shit...

Thanks dsm! I enjoyed your stories! =)
Hey Baron-Of-Hell, your spelling and grammar are pretty good! I have to get my big brother to check my spelling and grammar before I post! =)

dsm, you should definately put all of your stories together on a site somewhere, if you haven't already. I missed a couple chapters and without the search feature enabled, I am too lazy to go look for them myself :P

I'll post a compiled "Gold Edition" of the story sometime. Maybe I could even persuade Wildman to put up the full story on the Inkwell, when I've finished it, because I don't have my own site (at least not yet).

Also, I plan to post an index of the story, which I'll update whenever I release a new chapter.

Btw, thanks for the interest in the story everyone :-)

May I suggest that you try to add to the community story (Mk 2)?
It's a good way to start off, when it comes to writing stories - I did that when I first started posting in this forum.
Besides, the community story could use some fresh blood.

The Community Story is a story where everyone participates in writing it.
You write a small bit continuing the story where the last guy left off.
It's a great way to see if you've got any writing skills at all.

And my nick is short for doomed spacemarine.