Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eregore

Prepairing Resources for a PWAD?

I am mostly new to the world of Doom level editing. I use Doom Builder 2 and am getting close to releasing my own first WAD.

I have been using texture pack resources, beyond the stock textures provided in Doom 2, for my episode. I want to know how to include (or imbed, if that makes sense) those in my .WAD file, as oppose to there being a bunch of resources WADs that need to be stored and loaded with my actual WAD. I want a single nice, neat .WAD file that contains all the levels AND textures. Any help, guidance, or *specific* references would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It can get more or less involved based on which source port you're targeting. The gist of it is to use a wad management tool (Slade 3 is recommended these days), to open both wads and to copy the textures and flats from your texture resource wad to your own wad. You'll want then to select all textures (walls) and add them to PNAMES and TEXTURE1 (a right click on a texture gives that option, at the bottom: GFX > "add to patch table" and "add to TEXTUREx"), and stick the entire lot of them between PP_START and PP_END markers (which you can create). Flats (floors/ceilings) should be between FF_START and FF_END markers.

(Probably several technical inaccuracies in there but the above works for me.)

In SLADE 3, you can use "Add to TEXTUREx" directly, and it'll add them to the patch table as needed.

This is great! I knew there had to be something I was missing. I couldn't find anything about this in editing tutorials. Never tried Slade 3, but I will. Thanks guys!

By opening the wad with another application with the wad still open in XWE. Very rarely, it does it randomly. But more often than not, it's because XWE constantly has the file open, and any changes to it are applied immediately without having to manually save those changes.