Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcwood16

Modern games - dissapointing! Me??

Hello!!

I am going to jump to the conclusion that most people here are gamers from the 90's?? If you are younger and love Doom, please tell!

So with that in mind, am I just a ungrateful moaner as I am having a really hard time enjoying modern games these days!

Its started off a few years ago when many games were pretty looking, but gameplay wise disappointing, I love to replay games and many of these I wish I had not bought or at most semi-enjoyed as a once only!

A little bit at the end of last year and especially this year I have actually gave up completing some games as they were just BAD!

However, it seems many of the games I thought were rubbish, but really looking forward to have ended up being really popular!

For example

Love Serious Sam, but Serious Sam 3 BFE was just horrible, bas secrets, level design, dodgy graphics, poor engine and gameplay was just boring! I think I fell asleep on this one!

Dues-ex - Human Evolution, I think this game is broken in so many ways, it just does not work, it feels like a 'cluster fu*k' and I also think the main character is a massive loser and I actually want him to die, he does not fit the role at all!

Rage - ok I did enjoy this one, but story and some gameplay mechanics made it a massive let down.

Border Lands - Only just recently got this as SO many people raved about it. I appreciate its best as mutiplayer /co-op, which I dont do, but OMG - tedious, slow and nothing but fetch requests and a HUD you have to live in!

Etc

Etc

Dont get me wrong, I love some modern games, Fallout 3 was great!

Am I alone here.....maybe my tastes have changed and I dont know it. I only play FPS 80% of the time!

Snakes said:

Bitching about modern games? Has Doomworld really come to this?!

...erm...evidently it has! ?? lol

Its posted in the Misc / Everything Else section.

Im just curious about age group and modern games?

so.....whats your experience?

Yo, Sodaholic....looks like you have competition...

Modern games have their own issues just like any generation of games. We just hear about it more since the Internet and gaming has taken center stage of late. Look back into any era of gaming and you'll find turds. I don't agree with you on Deus Ex, but Borderland is really boring alone.

Snakes said:

he's being sarcastic. this website exists because doom is better than all the copycat games that have spawned from its vats since.

Snakes said:

Thanks, I really needed that laugh today =]

Speaking of copycat games, I just noticed recently after finishing Far Cry the second time around how its boss setup is similar to Doom's, the second last boss is tough but the last boss is weak.

Here, allow me to fix your horribly written post for you. Corrections are in italics, removals are in strikeout. I've condensed things into paragraphs for you.

bcwood16 said:
Hello!!

I am going to jump to the conclusion that most people here are gamers from the 90's?? If you are younger and love Doom, please tell! So with that in mind, am I just an ungrateful moaner? I am having a really hard time enjoying modern games these days! Its started off a few years ago when many games were pretty looking, but gameplay-wise disappointing,. I love to replay games, and many of these I wish I had not bought or at most semi-enjoyed as a once only! A little bit at the end of last year and especially this year I have actually gave up completing some games as they were just BAD! However, it seems many of the games I thought were rubbish, but really looking forward to have ended up being really popular!

For example:

Love Serious Sam, but Serious Sam 3 BFE was just horrible, bas secrets, level design, dodgy graphics, poor engine and gameplay was just boring! I think I fell asleep on this one!

Deus-Ex - Human Revolution, I think this game is broken in so many ways, it just does not work, it feels like a 'cluster fuck' and I also think the main character is a massive loser and I actually want him to die, he does not fit the role at all!

Rage - Ok I did enjoy this one, but story and some gameplay mechanics made it a massive let down.

Border Lands - Only just recently got this as SO many people raved about it. I appreciate its best as mutiplayer /co-op, which I don't do, but OMG; tedious, slow and nothing but fetch requests and a HUD you have to live in!

Etc., Etc.. Don't get me wrong, I love some modern games, Fallout 3 was great!

Am I alone here? Maybe my tastes have changed and I don't know it. I only play FPS games 80% of the time!

Agreed, really tried to enjoy Serious Sam 3 but it was boring and bland as fuck, I wasn't let down by Deus Ex: Human Revolution as I got it for free and knew it was gonna suck ass since I saw the first trailer for it, RAGE was okay but had really shitty gameplay mechanics. Boredomlands was fun for about 4 hours then got extremely boring and repetitive as shit and Boredomlands 2 looks like it's heading in the same direction.

Gaming is practically dead and E3 2012 proved it, almost every title released now is either a reskinned clone or is plain terrible. There are very few game companies that push out even remotely good titles and even those ones are starting to fall into the web of shittyness.

Sodaholic said:

Here, allow me to fix your horribly written post for you.

Great. Try contributing next time, assface.

Here, allow me to fix your horribly written post for you.

Use3D said:

Great. Try to contribute next time, Assface.

bcwood16 said:

I only play FPS 80% of the time!

That's the problem right there. There's a ton of great modern games out there, they just aren't FPS games.

To me it feels like all the good games have already been made. All the series I ever cared about have either run their course and ended, or have devolved under the command of people who don't appreciate what made them great in the first place and only want to do strange and unsuccessful experiments that ruin everything.

Everything's about profit and profit is about popularity and what's popular is asinine and idiotic.

And then there's the spectre of DRM hanging over everything new, which gets worse with every new console released and every new generation of PC releases, to the point now we have limited-install games that can only run with a constant server connection, with planned obsolescence when those servers are shut down, background processes that act like spyware and/or open up exploits, and loss of all rights of first sale.

Modern gaming doesn't just disappoint me. It makes me sick.

Quasar said:

To me it feels like all the good games have already been made.

I think we haven't even begun to scratch the surface on what we can do with the medium. Gaming's development as an artform has just been stalled lately with the industry's collective Hollywood envy. I think a lot of the big and influential developers/designers lately have felt that they have to make their games feel more like movies in order to feel validated and be taken more seriously.

I've played plenty of modern games that I find awesome. Right now I'm playing the first Prototype and loving it.

Hitman, my favorite series, is still going strong.

There always were shitty games, you just don't remember them, probably because they were shitty :P

That said, if there were to be no new video games whatsoever, I wouldn't really care.

You've got to love it when someone hearkens back to games of the 90s as some gold standard then complains that some games today don't have good storylines. No cognitive dissonance there, folks!

This stupid topic comes up every couple months and nothing is ever different. Games suck about as much as they always did. There are always good, new games, and there are always more awful, new games. This has always been the case. Lots of the good ones have never been anywhere near E3.

Sodoholic's failed attempt at correcting bcwood16 is the best part of this thread. You can't be a grammar nazi unless you're going to go all the way.

Aliotroph? said:

Sodoholic's failed attempt at correcting bcwood16 is the best part of this thread. You can't be a grammar nazi unless you're going to go all the way.

My personal favorite moment is when he crossed out the second exclamation point. By God, we can't have that sort of display of nonsense around here.

I personally like how he somehow managed to miss "bas secrets", which to me was the only real error that stood out. Making out like the post is "terribly written" just goes to show that, for his attempt at being The Atoner*, Soda still has a long way to go :P

And I agree, this topic always strikes me as narrow minded. I get quite a lot of joy out of a range of modern video games - I just don't play them very often and even more rarely when they're new.

*tvtropes link avoided for your health

If it wasn't for that godforsaken DRM I might try out some newer games. But as it is, you never know what you get - and if you don't like it there's no way to get some money back.

Simply put, I'm not willing to pay the price for something that loses its commercial value the moment it is used. Games are simply way too expensive for that.

10 years ago I was able to rent new games in my local video store - and I consequently played more of them - and bought some of the good ones. These days I have to buy the cat in the bag thanks to the DRM crap - and the video store has stopped carrying PC games, even those without DRM.

I'm halfway convinced the OP is here just to troll me, because all the games he mentioned are ones from modern times I actually like. D:

Seriously, though, DX:HR is GOTY 2011 in the Xasermind. Only Skyrim is close. :P

@Graf Zahl

Have you ever considered buying them legitimately but not installing them, and then getting a cracked version to avoid the DRM? It works out because you legally bought a license to play the game, and you're simply using a modified version for your own purposes.

Aliotroph? said:

Games suck about as much as they always did.

I find this too politically correct. There's a too visible tendency for modern games to be too cinematic and user friendly, with not enough puzzles that actually punish the player if they fail.

20 years from now, people who started gaming in the 2000s will look back on the 2000s as the golden age of gaming, just like how some people here look at the 90s. The cycle will just keep repeating for every new gaming generation.

It's a good thing nostalgia ignores all of the godawful shit, disappointments, bad game design, and (in the case of the 90s) half-baked mods that were often made during an era you're looking back upon as the golden age, or else all of this complaining about how modern games are too dumb and suck sure would be silly!