Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcwood16

Modern games - dissapointing! Me??

How about the OP compares these new games directly to games from 10 years ago, say 1999-2001? That era's equivalent of, for example, Rage, would be Kingpin: Life of Crime.

printz said:

I find this too politically correct. There's a too visible tendency for modern games to be too cinematic and user friendly, with not enough puzzles that actually punish the player if they fail.

Yeah, how dare a game have an intuitive interface and controls. How can anyone criticize something for being user friendly with a straight face?

Graf Zahl said:

Games are simply way too expensive for that.

Steam indie sales. Lots of great value right there.

Unless, of course, you play nothing but FPSs.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, how dare a game have an intuitive interface and controls. How can anyone criticize something for being user friendly with a straight face?

Well you see a shitty interface and controls weeds out the noob contards and the jocks that tormented me back in high school. They aren't pro enough to understand how to use an interface designed by a man that thinks "user friendly" is the punchline to a joke and unintuitive controls made by people who think that every key and key combo on a keyboard or console must be used. Otherwise, why would they put them on a keyboard/console?

You're just a dumbass that doesn't understand true gaming. Go back to your babby Call of Duty while I whoop ass at Quake 3.

In the age of consoles games are disposable entertainment so no wonder it's hard to market titles with sufficient complexity or depth to satisfy people who remember reading 200 page game manuals.

20 years from now, people who started gaming in the 2000s will look back on the 2000s as the golden age of gaming, just like how some people here look at the 90s. The cycle will just keep repeating for every new gaming generation.

It's already happening. On these very forums there's been posts from teen users lamenting the good old days of 2004 or so. :)

printz said:

I find this too politically correct. There's a too visible tendency for modern games to be too cinematic and user friendly, with not enough puzzles that actually punish the player if they fail.

It's not political correctness. Political correctness in terms of media is generally to assume everything was better when you were a kid. Almost every single person does this. It's really annoying. Most old movies sucked too. Nobody remembers most of the shitty ones because they were shitty and often unpopular.

Of course there was always crap stuff, nowadays or in past. It just feels to me that denzity of bad releases now is much bigger than in the past. That or those bad releases somehow overshadow those which are of some value. I recall having a CD from earlier days with a hundred or so of oldies and enjoyed a vast majority.

Phml said:

It's already happening. On these very forums there's been posts from teen users lamenting the good old days of 2004 or so. :)

Yeah, I'm still one of those btw. And it really feels like quality degrades gradually from certain point in time.

Hi Guys,

Ok, this thread played out a bit different then I thought! Enjoyed reading everybody's comments though :)

Sorry if this thread does pop up from time to time and I do expect the same stuff is said over and over, guess somebody has to do it and this time sadly it had to be me.

Some very good points made, maybe I should re-evaluate a little.

I have been looking back at some older games that were popular and successful that I missed out on a few years ago. Some of these have been really enjoyable.

I know there are some really amazing games still made today, just does not seem many :( (my opinion obviously)

Anyway, I love Doom and I can always modify the contents and behavior to make something with similar gameplay, but being something new - YAY

Perpetrating the illusion that games still exist is one of the entertainment industry's greatest achievements.

I really do believe there's been an overall paradigm shift in game design since around the launch of the 360 so it's not really rose tinted glasses talking. Along with the "AAA" production values comes the obsession with turning your game into a movie-like "experience" which almost always hurts the interactivity (ie, the very point of video games). I really hope we will grow out of this phase at some point, look back at this period and just facepalm over it like we do with the infamous FMV games from the 90's.

Another big problem with the AAA concept is how it's polarizing the industry. Many mid-tier developers/publishers somehow feel they have to compete directly with Activision and EA in the console retail shelf $60 space. Not only does it inpact aforementioned game design decisions, these gambles rarely pay off and usually just hurt those companies thanks to the bloated budgets. THQ's Homefront is a classic example, and look at how THQ is doing today. I don't have any statistics, but it sure feels like a lot more companies this generation has either shut down or been forced out of their niche and reduced to making simple phone/browser games.

Some relatively new games I've really enjoyed:
Age of Empires Online
Jagged Alliance: Back in Action
Bastion
Terraria
Legend of Grimrock
Dungeons of Dredmor
Orcs must die
Etrian Odyssey 3
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
Torchlight 2 (beta)
Touhou 13: Ten Desires
Magicka
Trine 2
Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei

I used to think that modern gaming sucks like almost everyone here does, then I started to look around for different kinds of games and found lots of awesome stuff out there.

New games DON'T suck, gaming is NOT dying, and I'm getting tired of hearing it.

Sure, there are a lot of big companies that are releasing shit games and are falling apart because of it, but they're honestly the minority. THQ is dead, EA is following, and there are rumors that Sony is going in the same direction. Hopefully Activision follows suit as well. These companies are all milling out shit because they think that's where the profit is, and they're paying for it.

But there are still plenty of big companies that people seem to love. Nintendo is still doing what it's been doing for the last 30 years, for better or worse, and seem to make some of the more fun console titles. Ubisoft seemed to be a favorite of gamers at E3 this year. Valve put out Portal 2 last year which was a huge success and tons of fun, not to mention Steam (yeah, whatever, I guess I'm a cock-sucking corporate shill because I like it so much). Paradox makes great realistic historical strategy games and wizard-murdering simulators and seems to be going strong. Zenimax...is making bogus lawsuits and controls Id which has gone to hell, but we're still getting good Elder Scrolls titles from Bethesda.

Not to mention indie games. In the last few years, Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, Amnesia, Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Trine, Terraria, Dwarf Fortress, and Torchlight have all been resounding sucesses and it feels great buying them because you know you're helping out the little guy.

So no, gaming isn't dying and it really doesn't suck.

This topic again.

Anyone who claims that "new games suck" needs to pull their head out of their ass and play more games. Or just accept that their personal tastes are restricted to vintage titles and leave it at that.

I like games that offer more than a bland and boring, overly simple 4 hour campaign (2 hours of cutscenes), unfortunately this is a trend "new games" can associate themselves with, gaming has been practically dead since around 2005 but every blue moon a title that stands out is released. Although Skyrim was good I feel Bethesda are slowly falling into the loop of shittyness.

Violator said:

I like games that offer more than a bland and boring, overly simple 4 hour campaign (2 hours of cutscenes), unfortunately this is a trend "new games" can associate themselves with, gaming has been practically dead since around 2005 but every blue moon a title that stands out is released. Although Skyrim was good I feel Bethesda are slowly falling into the loop of shittyness.

Other than games you know for a fact will suck, exactly what games are you playing? Your opinion may not be totally invalid, but where's your evidence? (And no, Call of duty does not count here. You should know by now what you're getting.)

yellowmadness54 said:

Anyways, games now are all CoD. End of discussion.

Serious question: Have you played any modern games lately?

This statement does not fill me with confidence that you have.

yellowmadness54 said:

It only ends the discussion from perspective that this statement is so hilariously asinine that it hardly merits serious response.

DuckReconMajor said:

Call of Duty's not that bad, guys. I enjoy the games a lot and I'll be getting Black Ops 2 in November.

It's bad. My 12 year old cousin made me play it with him, it was a traumatic experience.

The COD games are not BAD, it's just insulting that the publisher thinks it's OK to essentially release expansion packs for the same game and charge full price.

Sodaholic said:

It's bad. My 12 year old cousin made me play it with him, it was a traumatic experience.

It's ok soda you don't have to bash a video game to impress me.

Nomad said:

The COD games are not BAD, it's just insulting that the publisher thinks it's OK to essentially release expansion packs for the same game and charge full price.

I agree, I wish they would just update the game instead of putting out a new one but when it's one of the few games you play cost isn't that much of an issue. Of course Activision is counting on that, but as others have said, it is going the way of Guitar Hero so they can't count on it for much longer.

CoD is like banging a hooker. Expensive and marginally better than masturbating, but with no heart! LoL!

DuckReconMajor said:

Call of Duty's not that bad, guys. I enjoy the games a lot and I'll be getting Black Ops 2 in November.

Whenever I think about Call of Duty I think about each game being two games that should be critiqued separately.

It's a blast in multiplayer. I'd suggest everyone tries it before they dismiss the games entirely, even if they lose horribly to people who spend too much time playing.

But singleplayer is no more than walking from one area to the next shooting everything you see, with some neat cinematic bits inbetween. Like Painkiller except without the artistic imagination in the levels and monsters. I don't see how anyone could find it enjoyable and I don't know why CoD can't just become a MP-focused game with a fuckton of maps and crap.

The multiplayer really sucks when you stop and ask yourself what the hell you're playing, I miss really the frantic paced mp games that had rockets and railgun slugs flying past your face, CoDs multiplayer was extremely redundant and required more luck than skill in most cases. They don't release the game with a 'fuckton' of maps because they want you to get bored of what little maps they release with the game so you fork out extra cash to buy the shitty map packs. `

@Membrain good question, I used to buy shitloads of games but got bored of forking out R600 (70$) for a generic multiplayer game with a tacked on 2-4 hour campaign.

yellowmadness54 said:

Interestingly enough, I was playing Forza Motorsport 4 last night. It's a very modern game on the XBox360 and (this did shock me) it wasn't anything at all like CoD!

As for the 4 hour campaign in CoD - I have a feeling it's a bit like why the campaign existed in SOCOM: US Navy SEALs. It gives the game a setting and story background to base the multi-player maps in (and off of) and therefore decides what era and source of weapons and uniforms you'll have plus it allows you to practice the mechanics of movement, interaction and shooting in a less competitive setting. It also provides a relatively short experience for players to have (story to forward and all of that). The main event is always understood to be the online multi-player, but they throw in some other stuff to make it a bigger and better deal. I remember a game called "Hardware" on the PS2 which didn't bother including a single-player campaign to go with it's obviously multi-player oriented gameplay and as soon as the online scene died, the game was entirely worthless. CoD games have some value even after the multi-player scene is dead (much like a DVD you've already watched but might watch again).

Violator said:

They don't release the game with a 'fuckton' of maps because they want you to get bored of what little maps they release with the game so you fork out extra cash to buy the shitty map packs.

Rhetorical question bro.

Violator said:

@Membrain good question, I used to buy shitloads of games but got bored of forking out R600 (70$) for a generic multiplayer game with a tacked on 2-4 hour campaign.

I think it really comes down to the genres you play. If you only want shooters, then you're going to be having trouble on consoles. If you're on PC, then there's really no excuse. :P There's STALKER, Metro 2033 (If you just want length and a decent story, but don't care much about linearity), and the newest Deus Ex isn't too shabby, either. If you want something from another genre, there's a ton of options, especially on the pc.

DoomUK said:

But singleplayer is no more than walking from one area to the next shooting everything you see, with some neat cinematic bits inbetween. Like Painkiller except without the artistic imagination in the levels and monsters. I don't see how anyone could find it enjoyable and I don't know why CoD can't just become a MP-focused game with a fuckton of maps and crap.

If you're not playing on Veteran, yeah, that's pretty much it (I still enjoy it anyway). If you're playing on Veteran though, try just walking to the next area and shooting whatever, especially on some of the harder ones like CoD4.