Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

I decide to upload first demo of my textures. This file contain all textures and flats for E1M1 Hangar and few textures from other E1 levels. There are some textures that I don't show on this forum and there is some placeholders and unfinished ones (I don't have much time for now, so I decide to share this in that form). Play with it and give me some constructive criticism.

E1M1 textures pack demo:
http://www.filedropper.com/rtextures

Just unzip the textures and flats folders to your JDoom or GZDoom directory.

Hi!
I'm workin on hires startan texture, becouse that one from official pack looks little strange. So I try do something better and this is what I have on this day. This is really work version, so I waiting for any suggestions/criticism.

It's lost colour and seems much more pointless now that we really are just looking at bumps hanging out of awall, rather than things could conceivably be panel covers.

Looks pretty good to me. I don't know how it compares to the other textures as I don't really use the hi-res texture-pack. IIRC the other textures were also darker, so I reckon this should fit in nicely with the rest.

Perhaps I would suggest to go with a more circular/ oval shading on each of the panels. And as esselfortium said, improve on the shadowing a little...

There's contrast but no definition: the shading looks more like fluffy pillows than startan panels.

Also, the outer edges look very flat, Photoshoppy, and unnatural where one panel meets another, because the shadows get very dark on the bottoms of your panels but barely exist at all below them.

Porsche Monty said:

Looks like marble to me.

This. I always considered the STAR*** textures some plastic wall covers - but this texture doesn't look anything like plastic. It doesn't even look like stone.

'Polished marble' is what I'd associate it with - but that's dead wrong.

Oddly enough, the large image really makes me think of a bunch of sleeping bags/pillows packed together more than anything Startan-esque. Seems like the amount of space between each panel has been reduced.

Thanks to everyone for yours suggestions. This is another version I'm currently workin on:
Left- original, middle - my work version and right - original with 3d geometry

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And in 3d viewport:

I'm think about making some details like seams or bolts, but I don't know if it's a good idea. And remamber, this is only work version.

It's surpising that some people think that startan is one word rather than star and tan let alone call the green variation startan.

Avoozl said:

It's surpising that some people think that startan is one word rather than star and tan let alone call the green variation startan.

It's typed as one word simply because of how the texture name is seen in WAD editors. One of the STARTAN textures also seems to be the default in editors for some reason, so it's no wonder that this specific texture style as a whole is just referred to as 'startan'.

Anyway, the recent version looks pretty good. I'm not really a fan of hi-res textures in Doom though, something about them just seems 'off' no matter how good they look.

I don't understand why the patterns on the texture need to be changed each time when someone makes a hires version of one of the star* textures. None of them comes even close to how the originals look.

Sorry, don't like it.

Thanks for opinion guys. I'm think about that what Graf says and his wright. I'm work on proper shape, but it's not as easy as it sounds. On this day I have few variations.
This is one with some "extra" details (from viewport and with color correction):

Probably I will remove them in the final version, because with this pipes texture look too much like metal (I'm imagine star textures are something between Startrek walls and some kind of industrail stuff full of dirt and stains).

And this is version without it:

Of course this is early alpha.

Second hi-res image looks best to me. Some evidence of bolts and/or ways opening up each of the panels (for maintenance on all the electronics and shit that's behind the walls) would be a good turn too. They should be subtle though.

There's no amount of shitty upscaling, filtering and masking that can make a low-res texture look high-res, period. The whole point of remaking a texture for Doom is increasing the amount of detail, detail you're supposed to carefully hand-paint because there simply is not enough information in the original image that can be used to effectively represent anything in higher resolution, but that calls for the kind of ability that's clearly well outside your comfort zone.

I like this project. I personally preferred the version with pipes running through it because it sets your texture apart from other high-res texture. Are you considering giving more textures this treatment?

Porsche Monty said:

There's no amount of shitty upscaling, filtering and masking that can make a low-res texture look high-res, period. The whole point of remaking a texture for Doom is increasing the amount of detail, detail you're supposed to carefully hand-paint because there simply is not enough information in the original image that can be used to effectively represent anything in higher resolution, but that calls for the kind of ability that's clearly well outside your comfort zone.

Are you posting in the right thread? I don't see any "upscaling and filtering" here at all, and you seem to have missed the part where he's working on adding detail.

If you hate it for whatever reason, that's fine, but make sure you're actually making the correct accusations.

No, the original texture is actually upscaled and blurred here to form the basis of the 'hi-res' version. You can see it most easily in some of the tan color of the panel highlighting.

It appears that the coloring matches, but the material texture itself doesn't. He proabably did a color overlay with the original but used a different texture for the material (hence the marble-y scratches). The panels he carved out himself (though not "by hand" in the manual editing sense). So no, it's not a "blur and filter" job in the traditional sense at all, meaning Monty's accusation doesn't make sense.

To explicitly state it: I'm not saying the texture is God's gift to the high-res texture world or anything. It's getting better, but could still use improvement because detail is low, the material still looks a bit dull, and contrast is very low all around. The trouble is when one starts complaining about stuff the guy didn't actually do instead of pointing out what could be improved.

[EDIT] I think I'm probably being overly pedantic about this. What I was really trying to say is "Shut it and let the guy do his work". He may improve, so who knows?

Blurry version is only for comparison with my version of startan texture (I thought it was obvious) and in my 3d model I have new material mixed with original only for colors. BTW I'm working on it, but in the meantime I'm start making one of the tekwall textures (because this one looks very bad in hires patch). So here is what I have. Like in startan I'm first work on 3d model, based on original texture. I tried to give faithfully every detail (texture is in very low resolution so in most cases there is just improvisation, but I love this textures so I tried my best). This shiny material is only for test version, and final material will by more bump and dirty.

Oh yea, hi-res tekwall! Looks pretty neat so far. Looking forward to that one since it's one of my favorite stock textures :D