Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

It's PERFECT! If you want to add some extra detail, you could put a bloody hand print on the button that opens the door.

You have good idea, but I think it will look strange ingame, when every door have identical bloody hand print. Thanks for support.

Here's official version:

I have a question - what kind of material is this flat? Some kind of wood?

Reinchard666 said:

It looks a bit like a carpet in my opinion.

Reinchard666 said:

Must be intended to be stone/rock, as it's used on Doom2 Map29 for instance.

Tightly packed sand/dirt. (Ok ok, I've always thought of it as carpet)

Reinchard666 said:

Carpet. I'm sure, it's carpet.

As a professional designer/artist I have had experiences where I have created something with a specific intention in mind only to have it be used as something else. I have always thought that it was meant to be carpet but when you have something that pixely there tends to be some room for misinterpretation by other designers.

Personally I would not create a carpet texture out of it because I can't think of a time in vanilla Doom where it was used as carpet. This is where I think dancing on the line of several specific things is your safest direction. An interesting pattern might serve your goals the best. That is just opinion though.

FLAT5_5?

I've most commonly seen it used (and most typically used it myself) to go with brown rock or stone walls.

I've never once thought of it as carpet, and don't recall ever seeing it used as such.

Its closest wall texture match is Doom2's STUCCO. Here's a similar picture of a real stucco sample. Maybe that's what it "officially" is.

But, as you can see from the wide range of answers, it's best to make it a multipurpose texture.

Maybe you could add lines to it as the original seems to have them.

Also I can't help but notice that the detailing on your startan just looks a little too flat compaired to the original, the detailing on the original just seems much rounder.

Avoozl said:

Maybe you could add lines to it as the original seems to have them.

Also I can't help but notice that the detailing on your startan just looks a little too flat compaired to the original, the detailing on the original just seems much rounder.

Textures on flat walls without any form of bump mapping or similar, will always look flat. A higher screen resolution and/or higher resolution textures will only magnify this.

Using Reinchards latest pic as an example; modern games would probably have some sort of 3d effect or maybe even go so far as to model, the bars on DOORSTOP.

The lack of anisotropic filtering in the above screenshot won't help either.

Yes, I don't use anisotropic filter in this shot, just because I want to show how my version of flat5_5 work in game, nothing else. In this case I don't see any sense to use this filter. This version of flat5_5 is not final. But today I had the inspiration to make stone2 texture and thats what I have:

Comparison with original:

And how it work in game:

(Yes, still without anisotropic filtering)

Reinchard666 said:

I try to make something between stucco/concrete with some marble-like noise. Tell me what you think.

I think you got it right.

I'm not sure how attempting to recreate the "lines" would look. I never notice it as a "lined" texture while I'm playing, and I think it's more of a dithering effect than any intentional attempt to make it look threaded or raked.

Just keep in mind, as Vermil pointed out, it's used extensively in Doom2's MAP29, so the STONE6/7 textures should use a similar base & palette (if you ever get that far).

I'm using these in my PWAD. They will fit in with the existing HD texture pack and the textures I took from Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, plus they're nice! Good job. Can't wait to see what all the textures you make look like. think I've added every one of them you've shown into my PWAD, for that matter, not skipping over one.

Reinchard666 said:

Thanks, nice to hear things like that.

No problem.

Reinchard666 said:

For the next two weeks there will be no posts from me because I'm going on vacation.

Cool. Have fun!

Vermil said:

Textures on flat walls without any form of bump mapping or similar, will always look flat.

That's not what I mean, what I mean is the oval/rectangler foam cutouts things on the orignal startan are made with the edges being roundish while the hi-res textures the edges werent as round as they could've been, I didn't mean round in a bumpmapping sense.