Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

I try this in previous version but I can't obtain good result. I also experiment with folds at the corners of the sign, but this looks strange in places when you see lots of this textures in one sector.
I start with Door3 texture and this is what I have:

Texture lost contrast when I started fit colors to original version.

Question: what do you guys think about flat19? WHat kind of material is it? Plastic or some kind of modern ceiling materials like this:

http://podwieszane-sufity.pl/foto/sufity_podwieszane7_b.jpg

Those screenshots with the new weapons look very good. There seems to a problem with the white pixels on that minigun turning black.

I LOVE the FLOOR_ textures. And the poison sign looks great in game. I always interpreted FLAT18 as cement though.

I'm really not satisfied with door3, so I try change few things. The main problem with this texture is that the original texture don't look realistic, so when I try make realistic hires version, then result is different and don't look like original. So i try do something with that, but I think I loose realistic effect in the final work. Judge yourself:

Latest version of door3:

Comparison with original:

Another version, less similar to original:

Give me some tips. About the lower bolts - I know, they are too low.

I love it. BTW are you going to remake SUPPORT2 and DOORSTOP with the same metal effect? because DOOR3, DOORSTOP and SUPPORT2 use the same SHAWN base.

Reinchard666 said:

Latest version of door3:

That's the one that I like the best. The original id texture has quite obvious vertical "bands" of darker grey giving it a deeper textured look. Now, that may just be because of the limitations of the palette or to try and give it some definition at low resolutions but it is very characteristic of the texture. The link that I quoted above is, in my opinion, a nice compromise between the "banded" effect of the original and the smoothness that is possible with a hi-res texture. I really like the effect and it works much better than the DOOR3 and SHAWN etc textures currently available in other packs because they look too grainy and have too many dark areas IMO.

The other variations that you made do not manage to achieve this quite as well and, IMO, generally look too smooth.

[edit] Actually, looking again, the last one that you did looks very nice too. [/edit]

It would indeed be nice to see matching SUPPORT/SHAWN/SILVER/BIGDOOR1/FLAT22/23 textures.

Thanks for interesting opinion. I think the main problem is that id artist make this texture in low resolution from small part of chrome/brushed metal photo. In high resolution the reflective "lines" look weird if you paste them in that form. So I experimented with different versions and this is what I have:

Tell me if you don't like this one.
When I finally will have good looking chrome-base material, tehn I try make another version of support2 and flat23.

Tell me if this one look too much unrealistic.

I preferred the top image from yesterday for DOOR3, this one has a bit too much shine in the centre.

Ok, maybe I might be able to mix the two versions. As a break from e1 themed texture, I just start sksnake. This is very rough first version, not tiled.

I think you nailed LITE3 first time, I was going to suggest making the metal frame black but I think that would look too cartoonish.

I still gotta say these are without a doubt the best high-res textures made for Doom so far.

Also I think Flat18 should be a little more coarse looking, it's almost kind of glossy looking. I'd say that those ceiling panels you linked to are a fair comparison, but concrete would work too.

^Yeah flat18 should look more concretish and lite3 should get the gloss... my interpretation anyway.

I have to say that I have never imagined FLAT18 (and 2, 17 and 19) as being at all concretey. Doom has concrete textures and they look nothing like those flats. It also has a bunch of GRAY wall which *might* be concrete and they don't look much like FLAT18 etc.

FLAT18 etc have always had a slightly plasticy/synthetic look to them as far as I am concerned.

Also, with FLAT2 and FLAT17 being lights that tie in with FLAT18, I'd say that it was highly likely that FLAT18 is supposed to be some sort of ceiling material - and although ceilings can of course be made of concrete, I don't think that these particular flats are meant to represent concrete but, rather, some sort of ceiling tile material.

Oh, and that SKSNAKE texture looks disgusting - and I mean that in a good way. :)

I agree with Enjay. Flat18 in e1m1 has been placed near computer panels and it will be strange if this one was be made from concrete - especially if you take a look at his shape. Comp01 and Flat9 also have shapes thats suggest they could be some kind of more plastic-like material.

I didn't mean to suggest that Flat18 was concrete, just that it should have more of a rough concrete texture to it. It's too smooth as is.

I use some strong bump map in it. You can see reflection of this bump in upper part of texture, so I use some kind of plastic which is more bumpy then normal plastic. I like this reflections becouse they add some more realistic feeling and look natural in game, and whole texture is more interesting. But I try do something with it. Maybe increase the bump is a good solution, or maybe I should increase size of the whole material.

Today I made floor0_3, floor0_1 and textures from lite series.

Floor0_1 and floor0_3 with comparison to original (tiled):

Lite4:

I also made lite5 but this is modified version of lite3 so I don't paste this one.

Oh man I love those flats. Great job on them. You've got some tasty texture resources you use in your textures.

Reinchard666 said:

Thanks for interesting opinion. I think the main problem is that id artist make this texture in low resolution from small part of chrome/brushed metal photo. In high resolution the reflective "lines" look weird if you paste them in that form. So I experimented with different versions and this is what I have:

Tell me if you don't like this one.
When I finally will have good looking chrome-base material, then I try make another version of support2 and flat23.

Tell me if this one look too much unrealistic.

I like the repositioning of the bottom rivets to the middle of the panel rather than sitting right on the bottom edge.

Though otherwise I agree with Enjay. The very first DOOR3 you posted looks the best one to me also.