Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

Thanks, I try do domething with door3. Today I'm back again to startan3, searching the way to do this texture best I can. I remove details thats annoyed some people and try something different, more plastic-rubber. Tell me what you think on this version of startan3. If you agree I finish them and repair few things in it.

I think you nailed it. Are you gonna do the same detail to the other STAR textures? (Because the extra detail can cause noticeable tiling errors when paired with the others)

Just checked out this whole thread today. AMAZING WORK! This is some truly pro-grade stuff you've got going. I'm floored by how faithful the recreations are and the sheer volume of work you've been able to do. Great job!

Regarding hi-res textures in original architecture, I think the best solution would ultimately be the 3D-texturing you showed off with some of the textures (exitdoor, tekwall4) that allows it to jut out from the actual level geometry. If that can be rendered in some processor-friendly fashion the way textures are applied, it wouldn't just be a sweet 20th anniversary gift for Doom, but for all the PWADs ever made for it! This is exciting stuff. I hope you're saving this for a portfolio.

TheHighestTree said:

Regarding hi-res textures in original architecture, I think the best solution would ultimately be the 3D-texturing you showed off with some of the textures (exitdoor, tekwall4) that allows it to jut out from the actual level geometry. If that can be rendered in some processor-friendly fashion the way textures are applied

No Doom Source Port currently offers the option to have actual 3-D rendered textures in-game. BTW it's awesome if you look at Reinchards textures through a neo-vanilla wad like DTWiD or the 1994tu wad.

Thanks for good words.
Tell me what you think about this kind of nukage:

It's definitly don't look like original, but it gives more realistic feeling. I have 3 frames of that flat and in jDoom animation is looking good and natural. Color don't match to original becouse too brught green looks strange on it. This is very rough version and frames are not tiled, becouse is only test. I don't know if I'm stay in this version, but recreating all liquids in original Doom style is not what I would like to see in the final effect.

I made also floor3_3:

I think the new version is way better than the first one. But I don't like your floor3_3 version, looks like granite of marble... =/

I think FLOOR3_3 could benefit from the green mold that the original has and a more metallic shine at the top of the texture. And those NUKEAGE1 flats look amazing.

Thanks, I try do something with floor3_3, but I have more shine on the top of texture in previous version and this look terrible in game, where this flat is simless. This shines are a very inconspicuous.

In the meantime I start with Planet1 texture. The one from the official pack is beutifull, but its look little different from original. So I start with particular screen patches. I choose this one with earth on screen for the start. Verion from dhtp has different Earth photo - I determined that the photo from original texture is that one famous photograph taken during the Apollo missions, but flip vertically and recolored to Doom palette (and extended a little).
So this is what I have for now:

Since my English is bad I have a problem with selecting the appropriate texts that appear on the screen. If you have any ideas what should write on rest of screens just give me a tip.

Startan looks PERFECT. Literally. I'd like to see the 3rd nukage in game, but I definitely like the second one better than the first.

Fantastic, except that I think, the space between words EARTH and PLANET and the space between the 5th line and that "graphs" (or whatever) is too much. Align them a bit =)

For the text you're looking for, you could say...

• Currently 1.37 A.U.'s from Phobos base
  • Communications signal strength status: Failing
  • 457 satellites in orbit
  • Communications Code range UAC_ERTH01-ERTH57

Thanks! Does anyone have idea what text should I use instead of "Planet Earth"? (I think it just sounds silly). If you have an idea of ​​what can be written on the remaining screens, then let me know.

Reinchard666 said:

I experimented with more original - like version:

http://i.imgur.com/4nFN2.png

Love it. Interestingly, that is almost exactly the look I'm going for with the liquid material shaders we plan to use in a future version of Doomsday.

And about the brightness of the plane glow lighting vs the actual graphics - this will be addressed in the next (i.e., 1.9.10) release.

Ok, so I stay in this two-toned version.

Here is Planet1 screens update:

I'm pretty sure that the original texture represent Butterfly Nebula, but after long searching I don't find any identic picture, so I use the most similar I have (maybe this one from original is modified).

Here I'm pretty sure that "Tei Tenga" is in this case is a Tethys, one of the Saturn's moon. I try to make every text in exactly te same place like in original.

Two last screen textures can look little uninteresting, so I must use some additional graphic to them, but It can't be visible in downsize version.

I know it :D I just use "IV" because something similar I see in this part of texture when I resize them (of course in this resolution this can be everything).

If it really was IV then it might be best to correct it. As you say it could be anything in low-res and I don't think anyone would notice if that changed, whereas in hi-res, it is very clear that it is IV.

Right, as I say I use IV becaouse something similar is appearing after resizeing this texture. This is only reason why I change 3 to 4. Is there any reason why I must use 3 instead of 4? I ask because I don't know if is there any difference between martian day nr 3 or martian day nr 4?

Remember it's Earth not Mars. Mars is IV, Earth is III

It may look like IV when sized up but
1) Not many people will have seen it that large
2) The slant of the V could just be II
3) People WILL correct you when they see Earth as Sol 4

In making this texture hi-res you are making a very minor detail into a very big one. We can now see what it says.7

EDIT: Wait did you interpret Sol as a day on Mars? While that is what a Martian Sol is, that's not what I meant when I suggested Sol.

I'd really like to see a WAD made specially for these textures! How many textures do you still have to remake for E1M1?

EDIT:

Flynn Taggart said:

No Doom Source Port currently offers the option to have actual 3-D rendered textures in-game. BTW it's awesome if you look at Reinchards textures through a neo-vanilla wad like DTWiD or the 1994tu wad.

Yeah but you CAN replace the 2D static sprites with 3D models. Couldn't something similar be done for the textures?