Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

Wolfram - 3d Wolfenstein 3d!

Haven't seen this mentioned on here yet, so thought I'd plug this game:

http://www.moddb.com/games/wolfram/

It's a 3d accelerated upgrade to Wolf3d. Mostly the same game, just with hardware accelerated graphics and models. A few gameplay changes are made: namely there's free-aim, you can sneak in dark areas (and can probably sneak attack with the knife for one hit kills but I haven't tried), weapon reloading, jumping and crouching (jumping is pointless but crouching can give you a smaller hitbox). All in all it's a fun little game, and the changes actually enhance rather than hinder the experience.

Would like to see some custom maps that aren't the old-school tile based, flat maps from the old games. This thing could probably stand on its own if polished enough.

Wow. I wonder if it has anything to do with Doom 3 (there used to be a mod in progress for Doom 3 that was similar to this).

printz said:

Wow. I wonder if it has anything to do with Doom 3 (there used to be a mod in progress for Doom 3 that was similar to this).

No, they created their own engine for this, and I think this actually is meant to be a bit of a tech demo.

Sodaholic said:

Who the hell needs freelook in Wolfenstein? Besides that, the character models are too small.

It's not necessary, no, but doesn't really effect the gameplay that much. In this the enemies crouch every now and then so you need to be able to aim low. Don't think of it as a port, it's more of a tribute.

And what's this about character models?

The player and the other enemies are scaled too small . Just walk up to an exit lever to understand - its ginormous. I feel like a midget running around in a ratmaze.

The sound engine needs work as do the sound effects. Shooting would drop the framerate excessively. For whatever reason the default video mode is 1024x768, which right royally fucked up the sound. It was like 2 second gaps had been inserted into the music and sfx for every frame shown. Cleared up when I changed to 1920x1080 and lowered the detail down to medium. Weird.

Ignoring that, its a fun tech demo.

I think it's meant to be a generic machinegun, but it certainly looks more like an MP40 than an STG

Mr. T said:

I think it's meant to be a generic machinegun, but it certainly looks more like an MP40 than an STG

Well upon pick up you will notice the stock of the gun is wooden, but also has a much larger, rifle sized magazine.

Its most certainly not an SMG.

EDIT: My bad, I was thinking of the mission packs' machine gun. In the original it is, infact, stockless, however still carries a more rifle look, but whatever works. I still prefer thinking of it as an assault rifle.

Don't really get the point of a project like this, other then to give a budding game developer something to work on for their own self-education and amusement. If you want to play Wolf3D, play Wolf3D.

DoomUK said:

Don't really get the point of a project like this, other then to give a budding game developer something to work on for their own self-education and amusement. If you want to play Wolf3D, play Wolf3D.

I'm reading this post

on Doomworld

???

Anyway, I played with this a little bit. It's pretty cool.

Eh, it looks kinda cool. I men, it's just Wolf 3D though, but with like, modernish graphics. Might check it out though just for a run.